SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where did 22 cats go in two weeks in a town of 500 residents?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where did 22 cats go in two weeks in a town of 500 residents? Login/Join 
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
The Coyotes we hear sound a mile or more away, could be them I guess but why now? 22 in two weeks and none before in 4 years?

Food supply is everything in the wild.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
Poison.

I'd guess this.

My cats don't leave my house unless I'm carrying them, or they are leashed.

As someone who has tried to leash train a cat this had me laughing

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have 6 indoor cats that do not go out. I also have a few outdoor (feral) cats that I feed. I've only got 2 of those right now--my most faithful one (mother of 4 of my indoor cats) died a couple of weeks ago in my back yard. Those cats come and go. I had one faithful one just disappear a few months ago--probably hit by a car or killed by a predator.

I don't hear any coyotes around my home (city) but I do see an occasional raccoon or opossum come to my yard to eat. Used to have a skunk once in a while, but haven't seen one in years.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
Wouldn't poison would leave dead bodies and kill indiscriminately? If the critters are vanishing w/out a trace I'd say yotes got em.

I think the Midwest has a bunch of black and turkey vultures these days, cat corpses would be attracting a lot of attention. Along those lines, plenty of predatory birds, owls come to mind.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Just finished a book where a parent of a child with severe asthma triggered by cat dander took it upon himself to relocate all the feral cats in his town. Teachers refused to keep them out of the school and the boy had a couple of close calls. Afterwards the town was split on the subject and it became very divisive.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Well, speaking as one that grew up in Middle Tennessee, and have visited Bell Buckle a number of times over my 58+ years, my guess is that these cats have just gotten a bit too drunk and are sleeping it off somewhere... Good times...

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Assuming this is Bell Buckle, TN?

Have been through there MANY times; such a lovely little town and would love to live there!

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
My guess is that if humans were doing it, somebody would have noticed the hunting activity. Even if they were using night vision on a pellet gun. Some predators have started liking cat and/or doesn't like them in their domain is my guess.

Unless there all Toms and they found a cat house.

Posts: 7457 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjp:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
Poison.

I'd guess this.

My cats don't leave my house unless I'm carrying them, or they are leashed.

As someone who has tried to leash train a cat this had me laughing

My cats are well behaved, we taught them at a young age to wear the harnesses. They don't mind at all, Black is scared of the outside now though and won't stay out long. Gray is also afraid for some reason, but he stays out, just usually leans against our legs the whole time, that's his 'daddy protect me' mode.

They are both well behaved for their Mani/pedis as well. I've posted pics before of me using the Dremel to round their nails after trimming them.

Mani/pedi pics

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I used to pick up my friend on my way to working Dominos pizza back in the day. I would pull up his long drive and he would be there with eight saucers of milk for his cats. He had a couple of strays and his momma cat had a bunch of kittens. After a couple of weeks i noticed when i picked him up that the number of saucers was dwindling. He told me he thinks the kittens must have been leaving the nest. After a couple of more days i notice he was just pouring one saucer of milk. He was sure the kittens had all wandered off. He pet his momma cat and left her to the milk. As we drove down the drive way I noticed motion in my rear view mirror. I turned and looked just in time to see a golden eagle flying off with his last cat. He was a bit disturbed when he realized he was setting his cats up for eagle strafing runs. Eagles gotta eat too!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
I used to pick up my friend on my way to working Dominos pizza back in the day. I would pull up his long drive and he would be there with eight saucers of milk for his cats. He had a couple of strays and his momma cat had a bunch of kittens. After a couple of weeks i noticed when i picked him up that the number of saucers was dwindling. He told me he thinks the kittens must have been leaving the nest. After a couple of more days i notice he was just pouring one saucer of milk. He was sure the kittens had all wandered off. He pet his momma cat and left her to the milk. As we drove down the drive way I noticed motion in my rear view mirror. I turned and looked just in time to see a golden eagle flying off with his last cat. He was a bit disturbed when he realized he was setting his cats up for eagle strafing runs. Eagles gotta eat too!

Turn about is fair play.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
We have had quite a few cats disappear in my neighborhood. One of my wife’s friends took the loss of two out of her three beloved cats within only weeks pretty hard. They went out one day and just vanished.

There have been reports of coyote in our neighborhood. Some of my neighbors have chickens which I can only assume would potentially draw a hungry coyote into our neighborhood. I have one cat who loves to go out side and one that doesn’t. I try to only let my cat go outside when I am home and never at night.

22 cats in a town of 500 is definitely worrisome. I wouldn’t be letting my cat go outside anymore.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have had coyotes in North eastern Ohio for some time now.
And I can tell you that you might only find a mass of tiny bits of fur, or nothing at all if the coyotes take to "playing" with your cat.

We have had them come up onto the porch in the morning.
Unfortunately they are some sly predators and cannot be easily dealt with.
...edited to add..
My brother and I were set upon by a pack of ferrel dogs when we were young and traveled the rail road track to plink. These were mostly Beagles and mid-size dogs and their young. They all acted like they had rabis or something. Very vicious, Good thing a wide rail road ditch separated us or we might not be here today.
So I'm thinking that it is best to carry something like a semi-automatic if coyotes are known to be in the area. Where there's one there's more. And it happens quick.

Posts: 358 | Registered: March 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Lovett?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
My brother lives near you off of 64. Outdoor cats don't make it long, and he has spotted (and ended) coyotes trying to lure his dog off. I don't know that your problem is 4 legged in Bell Buckle, but the area is thick with coyotes.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
To echo others, we've had a few outdoor cats that neighbors have disappear and sightings of coyotes in the area recently would lead to the same conclusion.

Recent construction on land that had been basically open range undeveloped and never farmed in large quantities have dislocated several predatory animals as we see more gators in ponds and coyotes on the golf course.

Consequently, less cats...

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 22 rifle with cb caps served me well when squirrels were destroying my bird feeders, quieter than my pellet gun.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Funny, great minds think alike. Before opening the thread, just based on the title, my first thought was Vietnamese or Chinese restaurant.*

After reading the OP, song dogs (coyotes) seemed to be the clear culprit.

*Obligatory joke: What do you call a Vietnamese with four dogs? A rancher.

The coyotes around here are funny. If they are up in the orchard, they are targets, but if they are down in the valley, unless they are bothering the goats we leave them on the payroll as they are squirreling machines.

The other day I was down feeding the goat dogs and there was a coyote 20’ from the electric netting of one of the goat pens, squirreling away. The goats and dogs were ignoring it, as apparently were the turkeys (5 or 6 hens and about as many “teenage” offspring) 30’ from the ‘ote. The ‘ote appeared to be ignoring the turkeys too and just focusing on his squirreling. I’d guess he has figured out if he makes a move toward the turkeys they will fly off and if he were to get past the electric fence the Pyrenees/Anatolian cross would enjoy him for lunch so he focuses on what is available to him.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Made the local (Nashville TV) news.

Count now at 32.

BELL BUCKLE, Tenn. (WTVF) — More than 30 pets have been reported missing in Bedford County.

Bell Buckle city officials say 32 cats have gone missing over the past month. The circumstances surrounding the disappearances were unknown.

“It started off with a couple of cats, going on Facebook saying, 'Hey, have you seen my cat?' Which turned into, 'No, but my cat is missing as well,' and it has no escalated. It went to 16, then it jumped to 23, as of today we’ve jumped to 32," Heather Williams of the Bell Buckle Chamber of Commerce said. “It’s strange.”

One of the people who lost their cats is Tori Taff. She was one of the first people to post about her cat on Facebook, and she has been keeping count of how many cats have gone missing.

While there are plenty of theories out there, including a human stealing the cats, a predator killing the cats, and many other scenarios, at this point there is no evidence to go by.

“We’re talking a tremendous amount of cats only with no bodies or carcasses being found all within a relatively short amount of time. 4 weeks, 3 to 4 weeks," Taff said. “We’re just concerned and it’s a mystery. We’re trying to figure out what’s going on."

The city sent out an alert to residents to let them know about the disappearances, and the hope is that no more cats will go missing, and answers will be found.

“Really it was just getting the word out to everybody and saying please put your pets up. You know, make sure you know where they are, make them safe, if you see anything, just let us know," Williams said.

Anyone with information should call Police Chief Tommy Wiley or Mayor Lokey.

https://www.newschannel5.com/n...r-the-past-two-weeks

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Video from Channel 4 Nashville.

https://www.wsmv.com/video/doz...k09T0ZaitfTtqvgKN0dk

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post