SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    flat washer info needed
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

flat washer info needed Login/Join 
posted
I know what I need , I just don't know how to ask for it.

The hole in the center needs to be an inch and an 1/8 and the outside needs to be at least 2 1/4 -2 1/2 inches across.

I am using it to reinforce bird house entry holes.
I plan on drilling four smallish holes in them to mount them with wood screws.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Bluebirds ?? Go with the inside diameter, one and an eight.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you looking for a fender washer? They tend to have a larger outside diameter.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I'd be looking for Fender Washers.

Don't know where to get some that big though.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I'd ask for 1 1/8" fender washers. Fender washers get you the large outer diameter and washers are sold by the size bolt they fit.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
A 1 1/8 inch flat washer will have a hole bigger than the listed size.

You may have to buy a 1 inch washer to get close to 1 1/8" actual hole.

Just go to any local hardware store and measure them till you find one that gets closest to your need. Machine washers generally have closer tolerances than regular flat washers, and also look at metric ones.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Dumb suggestion but what about using hole saws to make your own? Use flat stock aluminum, old street sign thickness maybe.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I tried to find what I am recommending but no luck as yet. I looked for a pipe flange that would have a smaller diameter tube and a nice flat washer. Like a top hat. The tube would fit through the house entrance hole and the flange would cover around the hole. A silicone adhesive would attach it to the wood. I am not sure if birds would dislike the metal shine or if the smell of the adhesive would be objectionable.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Fender washers are common at my local hardware store,multi size holes and dimensions.
Try looking at an old established store.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Maybe these would be an option (iron pipe flanges). Your big box hardware store would have them. They may also have some metal burrs that would need touching up to keep the birds safe.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
The story of my life

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Does this really have to be a steel washer? Can you cut a thin piece of wood to shape, bevel and smooth the inside of the hole and glue or screw it to the outside for your reinforcement?

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Will this work? The exact ID you are looking for isn't a standard size. This would be if you drill out the center just a bit and the price is right. I doubt the birds will notice.

https://www.boltdepot.com/Prod...ls.aspx?product=4268

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:

The hole in the center needs to be an inch and an 1/8 and the outside needs to be at least 2 1/4 -2 1/2 inches across.

Ya'll must have some bad ass birds up there.

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
In some situations it's good to put reinforcements around the entry hole of a birdhouse so larger, undesired visitors (squirrels, predators, non-targeted birds) can't widen the hole to get in.

Thus, they make birdhouse hole protectors in various sizes.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
quote:

Send me a sketch and I can waterjet some out of stainless steel for you. I can CAD your part up and make it in our prototype shop. I also found some stainless #8 sheetmetal screws that should work great in wood.

Like this?

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
If you are using it for bluebirds, it is best to use a 2x4 mounted over the hole with the correct hole size. It will help to keep raccoons from reaching inside.

Don't locate the boxes close to trees or you will have flying squirrels that eat bluebirds.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many very good ideas here, thank you very much for taking the time.

three or four options that I had not considered, will have to give them some thought, and !
I gotta figure out the thickness of the metal , that I need.

I have seen some big time damage done by raccoons or squirrels .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post