SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gudrun Burwitz, ever-loyal daughter of Nazi mastermind Heinrich Himmler, dies at 88
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gudrun Burwitz, ever-loyal daughter of Nazi mastermind Heinrich Himmler, dies at 88 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
I've been to Dachau.
My German "friends" wouldn't accompany me there.
Neither would my German wife.
Her Uncle took me.

I can understand their reluctance. National guilt must still run deep.

I was there in 1993, and it was the most depressing place I've ever visited. The only way I can explain it is as though the ground still remembers the horror, despair, pain, and misery that took place there. I know it sounds weird, and I don't expect many to understand. . .

I was there in 1977. Completely understand what you experienced, as it was the same for me.

I had the same feeling when I first walked in there. Looking at the gate, the barracks, the ovens. But. I felt an amazing sense of peace in the wooden chapel and the Jewish memorial on the grounds. I can't explain that either except as the peace and forgiveness of God.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The Germans lost the war and very soundly. Anyone who believes, however, that that caused all the Germans to suddenly recognize the error of their ways and repent of the many sins of the Nazi era is very naïve. After the war most had the sense to keep their mouths shut, but some didn’t feel the need to do so.

When visiting the Nazi party rally grounds in Nürnberg in the 1980s, I overheard an elderly woman mutter, “Jawohl, mein Führer,” (Yes, my Leader—in reference to Hitler), and was obviously remembering something from her youth. Americans who became close friends with postwar Germans could often attest that in their candid moments many had no regrets about the Nazi era other than that they lost. One great irony was that Germans learned to be discreet about their views, unlike the Japanese who were if anything more barbaric (although not on an industrial scale). As Iris Chang pointed out in her book The Rape of Nanking,

“What baffled and saddened me during the writing of this book was the persistent Japanese refusal to come to terms with its own past. It is not just that Japan has doled out less than 1 percent of the amount that Germany has paid in war reparations to its victims. It is not just that, unlike most Nazis, who, if not incarcerated for their crimes were at least forced from public life, many Japanese war criminals continued to occupy powerful positions in industry and government after the war. And it is not just the fact that while Germans have made repeated apologies to their Holocaust victims, the Japanese have enshrined their war criminals in Tokyo—an act that one American wartime victim of the Japanese has labeled politically equivalent to ‘erecting a cathedral for Hitler in the middle of Berlin.’”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
In contrast, the likely french bastard son of Hitler chose to remain childless. Him, I pity.

Wikipedia states that Loret was married and had nine children.

Other articles on him reference his children as well. The Telegraph:
quote:
Mr Gibault said that Mr Loret's own children might now be in a position to claim royalties from Mein Kampf ('My Struggle'), Hitler's famous book which has sold millions of copies around the world.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6851 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post