SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gudrun Burwitz, ever-loyal daughter of Nazi mastermind Heinrich Himmler, dies at 88
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gudrun Burwitz, ever-loyal daughter of Nazi mastermind Heinrich Himmler, dies at 88 Login/Join 
posted
Interesting story. Her comments about the Holocaust are chilling.

Gudrun Burwitz, the true-believing daughter of Heinrich Himmler, the architect of the Holocaust and Nazi Germany's highest-ranking official after Adolf Hitler, died May 24 in or near Munich. She was 88.

Her death was first reported by the German newspaper Bild, which also confirmed that Burwitz had worked for two years in West Germany's foreign intelligence agency. The agency's chief historian, Bodo Hechelhammer, told the newspaper that Burwitz worked as a secretary under an assumed name in the early 1960s. The agency does not comment on current or past employees until they have died.

Burwitz, who was sometimes called a "Nazi princess" by supporters and detractors alike, remained unrepentant and loyal to her father to the end. Although she had visited a concentration camp, she denied the existence of the Holocaust and, in later years, helped provide money and comfort to former Nazis convicted or suspected of war crimes.

At the time of her birth in 1929, her father was consolidating power as leader of the elite Nazi paramilitary corps known as the SS. Himmler also commanded the German secret police, the Gestapo, and established the system of prison and concentration camps in which more than 6 million people - primarily Jews but also Roma (or Gypsies), homosexuals and others - would perish.

The only person who outranked Himmler in the Nazi hierarchy was Hitler himself.

Gudrun, who was Himmler's oldest child and only legitimate daughter, was exceptionally devoted to her father. Himmler and his wife later adopted a son, and had two other children with his mistress.

Throughout the 1930s and early 1940s, the bespectacled, undistinguished-looking Himmler enjoyed having Gudrun at his side, as a blond, blue-eyed symbol of Aryan youth. In a diary later seized by Allied authorities, she noted that she liked to see her reflection in her father's polished boots. She attended Christmas parties with Hitler, who gave her dolls and chocolates.

When she was 12, Gudrun accompanied her father to the Dachau concentration camp, which was the site of Nazi medical experiments and the execution of tens of thousands of people.

Gudrun recalled the visit in her diary: "Today we went to the SS concentration camp at Dachau. We saw everything we could. We saw the gardening work. We saw the pear trees. We saw all the pictures painted by the prisoners. Marvelous.

"And afterward we had a lot to eat. It was very nice."

As the Third Reich was collapsing in May 1945, 15-year-old Gudrun and her mother fled to northern Italy, where they were arrested by American troops. Himmler was seized by Russian forces on May 20, 1945, and transferred to British custody. Three days later, he killed himself by biting on a cyanide capsule he had concealed.

Gudrun and her mother were held for four years in various detention facilities in Italy, France and Germany. She refused to believe that her father's death was a suicide and maintained that he had been killed by his British captors.

She was present at some of the war-crimes trials of her father's associates in Nuremberg, Germany.

"She did not weep, but went on hunger strikes," Norbert and Stephan Lebert wrote in "My Father's Keeper," their 2002 book about the children of Nazi leaders. "She lost weight, fell sick, and stopped developing."

After their release, mother and daughter settled in the northern German town of Bielefeld, where Gudrun trained as a dressmaker and bookbinder. She found it hard to hold a steady job with her family history.

In 1961, she joined the German intelligence service as a secretary under an assumed name at the agency's headquarters near Munich. She was dismissed in 1963, when West German authorities were reviewing the presence of former Nazis in the government.

In the late 1960s, she married Wulf-Dieter Burwitz, a writer who became an official in a right-wing political group, and settled in a Munich suburb. They had two children.

Gudrun Margarete Elfriede Emma Anna Himmler was born Aug. 8, 1929, in Munich. Except for a brief interview in 1959, she is not known to have spoken in public about her father or her later life.

She did, however, often wear a silver brooch given to her by her father, depicting the heads of four horses arranged in the shape of a swastika.

She was also known to be active in a group called "Stille Hilfe," or silent help, which was formed in the 1940s to help Nazi fugitives flee Germany, particularly to South America, and to support their families.

The organization is "closely linked to a number of outlawed neo-Nazi movements and actively promotes revisionism - the notion that the Holocaust never happened and Jews caused their own downfall," Andrea Roepke, a German authority on neo-Nazis, told Britain's Daily Mail newspaper in 1998.

Among followers of the group, Burwitz was "a dazzling Nazi princess, a deity among these believers in the old times," according to German author Oliver Schrom, who wrote a book about Stille Hilfe.

Burwitz attended underground reunions of Nazi SS officers, often held in Austria, possibly as recently as 2014.

"She was surrounded all the time by dozens of high-ranking former SS men," Roepke said, after attending one such gathering. "They were hanging on her every word . . . It was all rather menacing."

Burwitz also provided support, through Stille Hilfe, to convicted Nazi war criminals, including Klaus Barbie, an SS officer dubbed the "Butcher of Lyon," and Anton "Beautiful Tony" Malloth, who was convicted of killing prisoners at the Theresienstadt concentration camp.

Malloth was sentenced to death in absentia by a court in the Czech Republic, but Burwitz reportedly helped arrange for him to stay at a retirement facility outside Munich on land once owned by Nazi official Rudolf Hess.

"I never talk about my work," she said in 2015 when British journalist Allan Hall confronted her at her home. "I just do what I can when I can."

"Go away," her husband said. "You are not welcome."

LINK:https://www.nola.com/national_politics/2018/07/gudrun_burwitz_ever-loyal_daug.html

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Family reunion in hell.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Goes to show how any child can be brainwashed into believing any thing.

It explains why so many of us despise government schools.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I've been to Dachau.
My German "friends" wouldn't accompany me there.
Neither would my German wife.
Her Uncle took me.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Yeah, she could deny everything when she was alive. She may have even convinced herself after awhile (never under-estimate the power of willful self-delusion).

Now, she knows the truth and she can't hide from her guilt (not of the Holocaust, per se, but for helping escaped nazis, if those claims are true).

I truly pity her.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
I've been to Dachau.
Her Uncle took me.

I can understand their reluctance. National guilt must still run deep.

I was there in 1993, and it was the most depressing place I've ever visited. The only way I can explain it is as though the ground still remembers the horror, despair, pain, and misery that took place there. I know it sounds weird, and I don't expect many to understand. . .

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
I truly pity her.

I do not in the least bit pity her and I hope and pray she has an extra special punishment awaiting her in hell. I can only hope that her last days on earth were filled with pain and agony.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
I truly pity her.

I do not in the least bit pity her and I hope and pray she has an extra special punishment awaiting her in hell. I can only hope that her last days on earth were filled with pain and agony.

Eternal judgement is God's responsibility, now ours.

Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only way I can explain it is as though the ground still remembers the horror, despair, pain, and misery that took place there. I know it sounds weird, and I don't expect many to understand. . .
I understand. I've felt it on Civil War battlefields. I'm sure places like Dachau are a lot more intense.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Goes to show how any child can be brainwashed into believing any thing.

It explains why so many of us despise government schools.

I believe that many children can be brainwashed into believing almost anything, especially things they are told by their parents. However, at some point they are no longer children and should develop the ability to think independently and test new information against what they were told to see if it holds up to scrutiny.

This woman apparently not only never got to that point but instead, held on to her beliefs to the point of actively assisting and defending fugitive Nazis to the very end of her long life.

Posts: 7310 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Burn, bitch.

I understand loving or having your father idolized in your mind even though he may have been a bad person.

But...your father was someone arguably more evil than Hitler... The worst person in history. Your father and what he did ranks at the top of the worst events in human history.

As a child you couldn't process what he was doing but when you got older you should have been horrified. She has earned her place in Hell.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
I've been to Dachau.
Her Uncle took me.

I can understand their reluctance. National guilt must still run deep.

I was there in 1993, and it was the most depressing place I've ever visited. The only way I can explain it is as though the ground still remembers the horror, despair, pain, and misery that took place there. I know it sounds weird, and I don't expect many to understand. . .

I was there in 1977. Completely understand what you experienced, as it was the same for me.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope some left wing loons read up on this bitch. A real Nazi and truly evil. I hope they're not serving meals on her one way flight to hell.

Thanks for posting this. A timely reminder.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
I hope some left wing loons read up on this bitch. A real Nazi and truly evil. I hope they're not serving meals on her one way flight to hell.

Thanks for posting this. A timely reminder.

Kosher meal only...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
quote:
The only way I can explain it is as though the ground still remembers the horror, despair, pain, and misery that took place there. I know it sounds weird, and I don't expect many to understand. . .
I understand. I've felt it on Civil War battlefields. I'm sure places like Dachau are a lot more intense.

And I felt the same thing at the Bath School site. Hard to explain but I felt it.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There were places in Germany that were untouched by the bombing and violence of the war. It is possible that some of youth of the time, living in such an area, were sheltered from the worst of the war.

Gudrun was likely sheltered in this way. Then she chose not to ever see the truth.

If we (BIG “IF” here) disregard her parents then she sounds like some people I know today.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
There were places in Germany that were untouched by the bombing and violence of the war. It is possible that some of youth of the time, living in such an area, were sheltered from the worst of the war.

Gudrun was likely sheltered in this way. Then she chose not to ever see the truth.

If we (BIG “IF” here) disregard her parents then she sounds like some people I know today.

You know people that deny holocaust, wear broaches with Nazi emblems, and provide support to Nazi's that fled to S. America?

If I found someone who was a direct participant in aiding Nazi's I'd try to have them imprisoned, if that's not an option, killed.

You know the saying Never Forget, I haven't forgotten.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
quote:

Bergen-Belsen certainly felt that way to me.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same feeling ( for me) when I went to the Holocaust Museum in DC...

So sad...mike

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
If one were to be born as the daughter of Himmler the force of history is going to put constraints on your life. Nonetheless her willing association with evil and moral blindness indicate a black heart. I would prefer that her descent to Hell be slow with attendant moral education by the angels. Justly, she must understand that eternal damnation was her own choice.

In contrast, the likely french bastard son of Hitler chose to remain childless. Him, I pity.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post