SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    At what unearthly hour did you wake and make your mater sammich?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

At what unearthly hour did you wake and make your mater sammich? Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
Here it was 1:05 this morning.

White bread, thick slices of juicy maters, mayo and pepper.

As always, the dog thought it was a great idea, assisting in the construction and cleanup phases.

Everything's good with the world. Smile

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Although I'm generally up at 0100 and may fix something to eat, it won't be a tomato sandwich. Peanut butter, maybe, or tuna, but not tomato (I don't even have tomatoes in the house--I like them OK, but don't buy much raw vegetables).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
My unearthly hour awakenings are usually to go pee.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Woke up at 11:30 PM. Watched Caps win in OT, drank a few beers, ate some homemade steak burritos, getting ready to go back to bed soon.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20814 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Woke up at 3:50 could not sleep thinking about what I forgot to do in creating a larger opening for a residential refrigerator. What I still need to get done before delivery on Tuesday. Two nights ago I was up at 4:00 taking my old 2 way refrigerator cooling unit off because I could smell ammonia to get it out of the motorhome. Quite the eventful week!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
It'll be some time yet.

Store-bought tomatoes have all the flavor and texture of a styrofoam ball. Better than nothing in a salad or on a BLT, but not even close to worthy of a tomato sammich.

Going to try growing my own again this year, but that's a crap shoot as our summers tend to be short and cool.

Local farmer's stand often has some decent, tho expensive, 'maters but that won't be until late July at best.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If only you had a nice enclosed by glass area to start seedlings...

Hold on, I'm getting a vision... (I have ESPN2) I see a steering wheel surrounded by glass. There are some strange levers everywhere. I'm starting to get a word: K... Kyoti! No... Kubota! That's it...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If only you had a nice enclosed by glass area to start seedlings...

Hold on, I'm getting a vision... (I have ESPN2) I see a steering wheel surrounded by glass. There are some strange levers everywhere. I'm starting to get a word: K... Kyoti! No... Kubota! That's it...

HAR, Har, har... Big Grin

Actually, I'm going to a planter system this year:

Right behind the house so easy to water, up off the ground so easy to weed.

Since those pictures were taken, I've added hoops to it and will cover it with bird netting to keep the goddamn deer out of it too.

At least, that's the plan. If it works as well as I hope, I'll build another this fall.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
It was 2:50 and I had hot dogs

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I didn't sleep at all and made a hamburger at 06:30. Then I fell asleep an hour later.

Posts: 3375 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

Actually, I'm going to a planter system this year:

Right behind the house so easy to water, up off the ground so easy to weed.

Since those pictures were taken, I've added hoops to it and will cover it with bird netting to keep the goddamn deer out of it too.

At least, that's the plan. If it works as well as I hope, I'll build another this fall.

Are you doing this for everything or just maters? I recall old pics of a huge garden I thought was you.....

(My apologies to Richard C. Smile )

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Got woke up at 6 by a friend from Australia calling. I had an oatmeal cookie.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigNC:
Are you doing this for everything or just maters? I recall old pics of a huge garden I thought was you.....(My apologies to Richard C. Smile )

Everything except potatoes.

I haven't had a big garden in several years for a couple of reasons. Two years ago was a weather disaster, never harvested a thing from my garden except rhubarb.

Last year Spring was so late, cold and wet that I didn't bother.

Other contributing factors are advancing age making kneeling/planting/weeding difficult and predation from the $%^&ing deer ruining what does come up.

Hopefully, the planter system will solve everything but the weather issues and I may be able to use covers to alleviate some of that.

posted Hide Post
Got woken up at 0600 this morning by my cat Jezebel head butting me so I would feed her and her sister. Life cereal with fresh banana and strawberries and a cup of coffee after that.

I never get up in the middle of the night to eat, usually just to pee and get some water.

Posts: 2016 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
It was 2:50 and I had hot dogs
I actually thought about hot dogs when I read the OP, but decided not to eat anything.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Middle of the night, I sometimes wake up with cramps in my legs. Hobble to the kitchen and eat a pickle.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30646 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Here it was 1:05 this morning.

White bread, thick slices of juicy maters, mayo and pepper.

As always, the dog thought it was a great idea, assisting in the construction and cleanup phases.

Everything's good with the world. Smile

Love your dog.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5306 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

PHP, have you seen oval stock tanks used as wicking beds? Gets the plants up high for the little weeding that needs done and stores water so you can water once a week or so. We have about 10 built now and they are working well for us.

This year we are installing more and integrating them with a Koi pond. The fish waste will help feed the plants. Sort of a soil based aquaponics system.

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Sleep eatiing

Haven't done that in years. I can't recall the last time I had to raid the fridge in the wee hours.

Although when I'm not in bed, I assail it without mercy.

Posts: 107500 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:

PHP, have you seen oval stock tanks used as wicking beds? Gets the plants up high for the little weeding that needs done and stores water so you can water once a week or so. We have about 10 built now and they are working well for us.

This year we are installing more and integrating them with a Koi pond. The fish waste will help feed the plants. Sort of a soil based aquaponics system.

Mark

Interesting concept. Links?