SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Your grandparents were cooler than you
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your grandparents were cooler than you Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIveh5n1DWo

Ahhh, the good old days

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I'll post the photo of my moonshiner grandfather when I get home

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Got it from my iPhone

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
1930. My paternal grandfather @ 18. Upper left hand corner.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
^ ^ ^

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^

Big Grin Big Grin

No shit!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
My grandfather was a Samurai. Swords and everything.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Great Great Grandpa. He built, owned and Captained ships on lake Erie in the mid-late 1800's. As a widower in his 70's he built a house boat and cruised the Mississippi with his brother. They finally got bored, sold it in Nola and went home

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Not too exciting, but mine spent 35 years on the Chicago Fire Department ('30-'65). A big man and tough as nails. Hands the size of baseball mitts.

One day, at 93, he sat down on the couch to watch Wheel of Fortune. Took a nap and didn't wake up.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I never knew either grandfather. My paternal grandfather died in an accident before my father was born. My maternal grandfather died of the effects of radiation exposure induced cancer (he was an early practitioner of radiology).

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My paternal grandfather died in 1959 when my dad was not quite 16, from a massive heart attack at age 45 from they believe at the time an embolism from his days as a hard hat diver in the Navy. He quit high school at 17 in 1930 and joined up. Did 8 years then re-joined the day after Christmas 1941. A few mo the later he was at treasure island in the SF bay cutting a training pilot out of a plane that had gone down in the bay and the fuselage rolled back over on him. They brought him up too fast and he got the bends and likely what led to the embolism. He told my uncle he bled from every orifice.

My other grandpa was another interesting guy. Rode his fixed gear bicycle from CA to NY in 30 days when he was 20 in 1934 because he wanted to go on an adventure and riding 100 miles a day had become too easy for him. Eventually he became a pharmacist, did national guard work in a medical unit during WWII and had a good career as a druggist. I lived just a few miles from him growing up and spent lots of time with him almost weekly from childhood until he passed away at 97 a few years ago. Even at 92 he was still putting on his wetsuit and getting abalone with us in the cold frigid northern CA ocean waters.

Thankfully I live about an hour from each of their graves so I can visit them

Posts: 4764 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
There are three people in this photo who have not had their image redacted.

The extremely handsome one up front is me. Back row right needs no introduction. Back row left is my Grandfather. He was a Marine prior to WW2 and a Soldier during. He also along with my grandmother worked in the White House for many years.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
My Grandfather on my mothers side fought in WW1 as a foot soldier and his stories about it were horrifying. My fathers father was just a laborer and heavy drinker who died when my father was 12.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
My dad. Don't know if it was in WW2 or Korea, he served in both.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Maternal GF was also a WWI Vet. Mail carrier (on foot) for 30 + years.
No real recall of my Paternal GPs.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

That is so very cool, friend Smile

Did you know him ?

My mother's father passed away when she was young. I really would have liked to have known him.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

That is so very cool, friend Smile

Did you know him ?

Thank you. I did, though not well. I spoke no Japanese at the time. We would visit him sometimes in Hawaii. I would see a samurai sword in the corner of the room.

We figured out that he must have been born sometime around 1868, the year of the Meiji Restoration. The Samurai class was completely abolished not long after. He was literally (one of) the Last Samurai. He didn't have my dad until his mid-30s.

He was known as being a very gruff character (almost killed his own brother with a saw once). But he was always very gentle with his grandchildren. You haven't lived until you see a Samurai warrior put on a little baby bonnet just to see his grandchildren laugh.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
That's wonderful.

Yes, that would indeed have been a sight to behold.

I'm so glad you got to know him, even just a bit.

Thanks for sharing Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My paternal grandfather was an immigrant from Norway, and started work as a lumberjack at about age 14 in about 1910. Got married, had kids, etc, and they divorced in the 1930's (!). Then they REMARRIED (!!), and stayed together until she died.

My maternal grandfather lost his farm in Nebraska in the dustbowl, moved alone out to the Washington state to find work. When he found work, he wrote back to have Grandma bring the family out. She'd never driven a car in her life, but got one from somewhere, loaded it up with kids etc, and drove out to Washington.

Even the women had balls then.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2066 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
My fraternal grandfather was a Navy Corpsman in the pacific in WWII. My maternal grandfather was Infantry in Europe, same war.

My father flew Wild Weasel missions in an F4 in Vietnam.

I make pretty charts and graphs for clients.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kenpoist,

Posts: 672 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post