SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The real story behind America’s new $20 trillion debt
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The real story behind America’s new $20 trillion debt Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry man. Promise broken. They stole our money. It is gone.

Indeed it is. Long gone. They don't have *anyone's* SS money anymore. And resisting that truth is perpetuating an enormous lie at everyone's and the country's expense.

You got screwed, so did I, and millions of others. Deal with it. No one is getting paid back, expect by fucking ourselves to an even larger extent than present. No good comes of it.

I'll happily take an immediate cessation of SS taxes with the understanding that what's been paid is forever lost to the cause or at least indefinitely deferred until budget surpluses exist again and are prioritized by age/need, or any similar solution that ends the bullshit. Make it stop. End the lie.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
But gold isn't the answer.
We are seriously fucked if we don't address this problem.

It's a great answer for the individual, but not the collective. And yes, we are seriously fucked if we don't address it.

quote:
...if you paid in, then you should get something back,...

"Something" being the operative word. You should get back what you paid in plus some moderate interest. Problem is, most people are, and have been, "getting back" vastly more than they put in.

Posts: 20088 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GGF
posted Hide Post
I'm due SSI in 3 years, paid it. Want it.
Get busy Bureau of Engraving and Printing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLrpg8Bya24

GGF

Posts: 698 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Seriously... that guy has made more money on gold than anyone else in the last 8 years or so.

But gold isn't the answer.
We are seriously fucked if we don't address this problem.

Hopefully you're being facetious. Gold was $1800 on its way to $2500 5-10 years ago. I heard it 18 times a day and on the radio, too.

Gold has come up from close to $1000 in the last year or so.

"I heard it 18 times a day and on the radio, too."
Yep.... and don't you think those people pumping it got paid? Don't you think William Devane is well paid to pump people to buy gold?

Do you think that buying gold is the answer to our debt problem?

I don't.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BadDogPSD:
I'm not sure I consider social security and Medicare "entitlements" as most of us pay into these programs all of our working lives.
Of course over the years these programs have been bastardized and have had funds raised for other things.

A couple of thoughts.

1. Social security would be just fine if the assholes had not used it to buy votes from people who never paid in a freaking dime!!!!1 And there are a BUNCH of them in that category.

2. The real national debt, as I recall from some time ago is really much higher than that.

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/06/...ion-try-211-trillion

From the site listed above.

"If you add up all the promises that have been made for spending obligations, including defense expenditures, and you subtract all the taxes that we expect to collect, the difference is $211 trillion. That's the fiscal gap," he says. "That's our true indebtedness."

The last time I saw the "total number" is was at 200 trillions.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
"If you add up all the promises that have been made for spending obligations, including defense expenditures, and you subtract all the taxes that we expect to collect, the difference is $211 trillion. That's the fiscal gap," he says. "That's our true indebtedness."

Yes... the politicians have bought a lot of votes with promises that cannot be kept.
But the current crop of politicians just wants to kick the can down the road a little farther... until they get theirs.
They don't go to Washington to save the country.... They go to Washington to get a piece of the pie!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
quote:
Originally posted by BadDogPSD:
I'm not sure I consider social security and Medicare "entitlements" as most of us pay into these programs all of our working lives.
Of course over the years these programs have been bastardized and have had funds raised for other things.

Correct, they are only entitlements if the recipient never dropped a dime into them, if you paid in then you should get something back, if you didn't pay in you shouldn't get a wooden nickle unless your spouse paid in and you're getting that.

This! I pisses me off to hear them called entitlements. Its our fucking money or it was until Congress stole it and gave it to every fucking yahoo that applied.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20320 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GGF:
I'm due SSI in 3 years, paid it. Want it.
Get busy Bureau of Engraving and Printing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLrpg8Bya24

GGF

This why I say there will be no correction from politicians nor the public. No one wants the haircut. So we will have an uglier correction imposed by natural consequences. I believe it will come in the form of a calamitous collapse. With govt gone or impotent, an immoral and desperate population will consume itself insatiably. Unless you, I and everyone else is willing to take a hit now, we'd all better get ready for anarchy. Past is prologue.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe it will come in the form of a calamitous collapse. Past is prologue.

We can just mint some new $ Trillion coins to pay off the debt and all will be well.... right?

Unfortunately, it didn't work for Diocletian.

The Roman Empire was in decay when Diocletian became emperor in the fourth century. The economy was in disarray from a series of costly wars and previous emperor’s building projects that left Rome in debt and near collapse. With Rome’s currency worthless, Diocletian introduced a new system of coinage....

-rduckwor

Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Politics being what they are, it will take a real calamity for the debt issue to be addressed seriously. For now the politicians are too busy looking for campaign contributions for their next election. I mean truly, and not to be an alarmist in any form, can anyone imagine a scenario where this ends well?

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
Politics being what they are, it will take a real calamity for the debt issue to be addressed seriously. For now the politicians are too busy looking for campaign contributions for their next election. I mean truly, and not to be an alarmist in any form, can anyone imagine a scenario where this ends well?

Nope. Better read Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse by Rawles. Then get busy.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
In no way do I see this ending well. Sadly at my age I am sure I will get to see how truly ugly it will be. Not only for me but for my children.

In my opinion we have to get over that we paid into social security. Yes the government stole that money, but it's gone with no chance of getting it back. That's the reality we have to start with. If that means I never retire (even though it's a long way off) then so be it. I am willing to make sacrifices on the chance that things will be better for my kids and frankly for the country as a whole.

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just wait.
Eventually they'll come after your 401k.

Posts: 953 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
The restraint on growing expenditures in the 1980s wouldn’t have happened “without Reagan’s steadfast commitment to spending control.” And there would have been no welfare reform in 1996 without Mr. Clinton’s push.

Odd, I seem to recall Klin-ton was fully against the welfare reform until the GOP passed it under their "Contract With America" under Gingrich. I recall he was going to veto it until Morris convinced him it would be political suicide to do so. And when it passed, Pee-losi said that later they would "fix it". That's why we have those IRS tax credits that get paid to people who haven't even paid into the IRS. It's just another welfare program paid out by the IRS, not HHS.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8350 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:
Just wait.
Eventually they'll come after your 401k.

Yep. Eventually they'll be looking at having to cut SS, but will look at a large pile of money sitting in those accounts. They'll start claiming it's not [bleatingsheep] f-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-i-r [/bleatingsheep] that "the rich" have all this money while little Juanita has to go to bed hungry every night. You'll see endless news story of some elderly minority living in squalid conditions with only a can of cat food to live on, contrasted against some old white men on the golf course in their silly pants. Ismorelda struggling with her arthritic hands to open her last can of cat food, contrasted with old white guys in swank restaurant having surf and turf. In the past their have been a few quotes of some Dhims suggesting raiding 401(k)'s, but those get quickly buried. "Taken out of context" and all that. Media won't report it. But does anyone doubt that a large section of the pols in DC would have no problem raiding those accounts (with, of course an exemption for THEIR accounts)?

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8350 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They can pry my 401K from my cold dead fingers.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1126 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Don't worry. They'll give you an IOU for it.

Posts: 20088 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TBH:
They can pry my 401K from my cold dead fingers.

Won't have to - they'll just deduct it electronically from your account. At which point a large percentage of gainfully employed folks will simultaneously say "fuck it" clean and load their rifles and start shaking things up

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just keep making ammo and vac pack 'em all.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post