SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How long to charge I Phone
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How long to charge I Phone Login/Join 
posted
I had an I Phone 5 since about 2014. It was starting to act up, so Mrs. Ironworker said to get a new one. So I got an I Phone SE. It was the least expensive and does way more stuff then I will ever use. I usually plug the phone in over night to charge it. I do not use the phone very much, so I may only charge it once or twice a week. The phone salesman said it was a bad idea to leave the phone charging over night, it might mess up the battery. So I hope someone here can help me out.
How low should I let the battery go before charging? Does it hurt to charge it when it is at about 50 or 60% charged?
Does it hurt to charge it over night or plug it in and leave it charging for several days?
I have had conflicting answers to these question and I think Sig Forum is about the best place to get a straight answer. Thanks for any help.

Posts: 621 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Do you have the latest update of iOS?
I have an iPhone 12 Pro; it's a different phone, but I got a message when I started using it that the phone would not allow over-charging, so you didn't need to worry about that any more. This system was a new feature in iOS 13, presumably carried over to the current iOS 14.

Here's an explanation:

quote:
Recent iOS updates include a battery health feature the let you check on your battery capacity, and see a history of your battery usage. The feature is a useful way to know if you’ve stuck to the 40-80 rule.

But Apple knows you don’t want to start the day around 80%. If you travel a lot or otherwise find yourself frequently out of reach from an outlet, that extra 20% can easily be the difference in whether your iPhone makes it to the end of the day. Staying at 80% risks losing a valuable asset, your phone. That’s why the company wants to meet you in the middle.

In iOS 13, a new charging algorithm will keep your iPhone at 80% when charging overnight. That algorithm will determine when you typically wake up and start the day, and restart the charging sequence to give you fully charged battery when you wake up.

That means your iPhone won’t spend the entire night taking a charge it doesn’t need (and risk overheating), but when you start your day, you should have 100% battery charge. It’s the best of both worlds to give you as long as battery life as possible, both in retaining the full capacity of the battery and making it through the day.

And here's the link with the complete explanation:
Link

In sort, your iPhone is smarter than you are, and definitely smarter than the phone salesman. Big Grin

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
In sort, your iPhone is [...] definitely smarter than the phone salesman. Big Grin

Nailed it. Wink

Posts: 17126 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I've had several Iphones for 10+ years and always leave them charging overnight.

The salesman is full of it.

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I listen to Audio books at night when I go to bed. I set the sleep timer and leave it plugged in to my IHome system every night.

I've done this with all my iPhones and never had a battery problem.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
definitely smarter than the phone salesman.
No big challenge there.

Well, one of our members used to do that (sell phones), but he was probably an exception to the general population of phone salesmen.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I've read that over charging can be an issue, as well as running the phone to "empty". As I recall from the article, it's best to charge at the same time each day, when the battery shows from 40 to 80%, and then take it off once it
s fully charged. That said my wife and I got iPhone 11's at the same time and she charges overnight no matter what the charge level is and I do the aforementioned procedure. Her phone shows no sign of battery degradation in use or when checked with the battery checker app. So if your procedure works, there is no need to alter it at this point.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I've had iPhones since the 3G and have charged my phones overnight, every night since then. I've never had an issue with battery life. Of course, the longest I've gone before buying a new iPhone was 3 years, so I don't know what extended usage would actually do to battery longevity.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
All night, every night.
Regardless of the remaining charge... When my pants come off at night I drop the phone on the charger on the bedside table and it stays there until I put my pants back on the next day.
Wife and I have both been doing that for about ten years with never any battery issues at all.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

It is interesting to note that when one goes to use Apple's trade in program, one of the questions about the device you are trading in asks if there is any swelling (usually caused by batteries swelling). My 2015 MBP suffered battery swelling because I kept it plugged in all the time (the swelling started in the 2nd year after purchase. The battery was replaced under Apple Care, and the new battery is swelling though I've been very careful about not leaving it plugged in. It seems to me that Apple has a more general battery problem. I believe this is partly due to the move towards "thin" in their designs, leaving very little room for the battery to dissipate heat. This is most likely why they introduced the "optimized battery charging" feature.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I charge mine while I am sitting around watching tv, or whatever and unplug it when I go to bed.
Works for me.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I've let phones of mine charge overnight a few times and then felt the phone and charger in the morning to see if they were warm. In all cases they were room temperature so any charging going on was trickle charge which I seriously doubt would harm anything.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

It is interesting to note that when one goes to use Apple's trade in program, one of the questions about the device you are trading in asks if there is any swelling (usually caused by batteries swelling). My 2015 MBP suffered battery swelling because I kept it plugged in all the time (the swelling started in the 2nd year after purchase. The battery was replaced under Apple Care, and the new battery is swelling though I've been very careful about not leaving it plugged in. It seems to me that Apple has a more general battery problem. I believe this is partly due to the move towards "thin" in their designs, leaving very little room for the battery to dissipate heat. This is most likely why they introduced the "optimized battery charging" feature.
Between my wife and me, we have had three swollen batteries, one on an iPhone 6 Plus and two on Apple watches. These all occurred after the devices were out of warranty.

A short "discussion" via chat with an Apple support person on the Apple website, and they agreed to replace batteries on their nickel, even out of warranty, as the swelling batteries were a known problem.

Took the phone into the local Apple store (this was way before The Virus), they did not replace the battery, they just gave my wife a shiny new phone, at no cost, other than about 45 minutes hanging around the store.

The two watches, they sent prepaid shipping boxes to send the watches back to an Apple Service Center, and two days later, we received replacement watches. One of the replacements we received was a third generation watch to replace the first generation that I sent to them. Again, all of this was with no cost to us.

To date, Apple support has treated us very well.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
You can’t “overcharge” an iPhone. Plug it in every night or when it needs charged and forget it.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Starting with the iPhone 8, iPhones can use magnetic chargers. Really convenient!

I have these. iPhone sits on the round one overnight.

The stand type is on my desk at work. Phone sits at a convenient viewing angle, so I notice reminders and incoming texts or emails popping up on the lock screen, while the phone stays charged.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironworker:
... I got an I Phone SE. It was the least expensive and does way more stuff then I will ever use. I usually plug the phone in over night to charge it. I do not use the phone very much, so I may only charge it once or twice a week. The phone salesman said it was a bad idea to leave the phone charging over night, it might mess up the battery.

The phone sales droid knows not of which he or she speaks. Not only will an iPhone not overcharge itself, but, if you charge it on any kind of a regular basis, it will learn your charging habits and adjust the charging rate so it just finishes charging a bit before you can be expected to take it off the charger.

It does this latter thing because slower charge rates mean less heat. Less heat means extended battery lifetime.

As for charging it only once- or twice-a-week: That may be a Bad Idea, depending upon how low you're letting it get. Ideally you want to charge the phone when it gets no lower than about 70-80% of full charge. Less charge time = less heat.

I look at my iPhone and iPad each evening, before hitting the sack. If they're at or below 80% they go on the charger overnight. I take them off the charger as soon as I get up--not due to fear of over-charging, but so they learn by what time is the earliest I'll want them ready.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
From what I have seen (us + having two sons using iphones and other gadgets) the biggest damage you can do to ANY battery is to keep running it until it is flat, dead, kaput. One son had a habit of running iphones until the battery completely died. In his case it required replacement of two of his phone batteries over the years and poor performance after a pattern of this.
I have had similar experiences with basically any type of modern battery- most drop charge by design 1% or so a week(s)/thereabouts. ("Balanced" or smart batteries can be even more sensitive). Also do NOT let them sit for months and go flat. And also don't leave them plugged in sitting in chargers continuously.
Bad things can happen...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Starting with the iPhone 8, iPhones can use magnetic chargers. Really convenient!

I have these. iPhone sits on the round one overnight.

The stand type is on my desk at work. Phone sits at a convenient viewing angle, so I notice reminders and incoming texts or emails popping up on the lock screen, while the phone stays charged.

Just informationally, they're not magnetic chargers, they're inductive chargers. I've got two of the vertical ones you have in the picture and that's what I have Mrs. Flash use when she charges her phone.

They work on exactly the same principle as a transformer because that's what you have when you're using one. There's a coil in your phone and another in the charger and the charge couples between the two.

Different manufacturers phones charge at different rates and the iPhone charges at 7.5 watts (1-1/2 amps).

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bshnt 2015
posted Hide Post
With the current iPhone 12, charging is typically 1 hr and 20 mins to full charge-that's what I'm getting using a wall plug with their included cable.

With older iPhones, it really varies. My iPhone 6s took longer, older phone and battery was only charging 85-90% now

Posts: 250 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: October 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I plug my personal phone in when I go to sleep and unplug it when I wake. It usually doesn't "need" it, it's just routine. It's an iPhone 4 that I haven't updated in many years, I suppose that's why it still works.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post