SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vermont maple syrup
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vermont maple syrup Login/Join 
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
What's the shelf life of the syrup and cream? Guessing the cream will goes in the fridge?

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steelcityfishanddive:
What's the shelf life of the syrup and cream? Guessing the cream will goes in the fridge?

there's no actual cream in it, just sugars. Maple syrup keeps for years, like honey.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I just ordered some syrup and cream. Does it require refrigeration to keep it? A gallon of syrup and pound of cream is going to take me a while to use up.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
One of these days I am going to find a website that takes 6 brands of honey and six brands of maple syrup to the chem lab , for testing.

I can find low priced medium and high priced
honey and syrup.

some taste just a little different .

but some of us would like to know why the price difference .

I can't speak for syrup, but for honey. The stuff you buy in the grocery store is boiled so it won't crystallize over time like honey normally does. This breaks down a lot of the proteins and enzymes that makes honey beneficial. It can also alter the taste.

Lighter honey usually sells for more than darker honey (Not much, a buck or two per pound) around here just due to demand.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
I just ordered some syrup and cream. Does it require refrigeration to keep it? A gallon of syrup and pound of cream is going to take me a while to use up.

I ordered a pound of maple cream too. We are having the kids and grandkids here for Easter dinner. If it arrives in time for Easter, I suspect there won't be any left. Razz

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll try to answer all of the questions. Maple cream needs to be refrigerated. Pete uses the better containers so you can store syrup for several months. The best way to store syrup is put it in the freezer. It will last for years.
Growing up, if syrup sat unrefrigerated long enough, there would be mold on top. We would skim the mold and reboil the syrup.
If kept in the frig or freezer, it should last for years.

Cream, will separate. It is a treat. Eat it, and enjoy. I believe if you bought a bunch of it you could freeze it and use it as needed. Please double check with the Smiths.

Most important, they do it for pleasure, I hope everyone enjoys it.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1128 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Would you say maple cream is the same as "maple butter"? I found a little jar of that stuff once and it was awesome on waffles. We go through a quart or so a month of syrup. I was buying it at the local Winco for $12 but they jacked it up to $20 so I'll probably order a gallon.

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Any info on shipping costs would be appreciated.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16210 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

I ordered two half gallons of syrup and 1 lb of cream and was charged $13.70 for USPS flat rate shipping.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

I ordered two half gallons of syrup and 1 lb of cream and was charged $13.70 for USPS flat rate shipping.

Thanks!

I'm weighing things. Got an unopened 32 oz jug of grade B on the shelf plus another half full jug in the fridge. Never have had maple cream despite being raised in upstate NY.
Looking at half what LBTRS ordered right now Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16210 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shipping. They prefer to pack whatever size flatrate box you want full, so you get a bigger bang for your buck. They are looking into UPS & FEDEX to see if there are any cheaper ways to ship.

Maple butter is good, mostly butter with maple flavoring. Maple cream is almost like the perfect frosting.
Compare cube steak to ribeye!

P226 9mm CT
Glock 21

Posts: 1128 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigNC:
As to grading, he told me that what used to be B grade has been re-graded as A. In fact, even noticed it on some packaging at the grocery store since.

There was an infographic floating around online a year or so ago explaining exactly this.

The industry's assertion is that B Grade was never lower quality, only darker and bolder tasting, so as a move to better market an equally good product as the original Grade A, they renamed the B to A, but, IIRC, a Dark vs Light distinction now listed to differentiate.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Order placed (half of what LBTRS ordered in the same cost flat rate box). Asked for a Paypal money request when I told Mr Smith what I wanted to purchase, got it and responded with payment. Seamless! Smile

Thanks TBH for the flag about this!

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
You are so welcome! Don't forget, when you first open the syrup, you have to do a shot! Syrup, bourbon, whatever, its tradition... Big Grin

P226 9mm CT
Glock 21

186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I called Mr. Smith yesterday, and chatted for a while and bought 10- 1/2-pounds of maple cream and 3 pints of syrup. Super nice guy. Thanks for the referral!

PS he said you can freeze the MC. No problem with shelf life.

I also said I got the info from TBH on Sig Forum and he is very aware of this group and he really appreciates the business.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TBH:
You are so welcome! Don't forget, when you first open the syrup, you have to do a shot! Syrup, bourbon, whatever, its tradition... Big Grin

Does that apply to maple cream too (sure hope so! Big Grin)

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Novice Elk Harvester
Picture of ronnied316
posted Hide Post
Ordered a quart of syrup and a pound of maple cream. Thanks for the heads up!

"SUCCESS only comes before WORK in the dictionary"

Posts: 412 | Location: Kitsap Peninsula, WA | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Adirondack Mtn Guy, The One Stop Shop
Picture of AdkMtnGuy
posted Hide Post
The maple syrple is not all created equal! If you can find the real Grade B, buy it. Some of you know I'm from the northeast, and one of the most missed things by me is the sugaring season. Grade B from VT is usually a true Grade B, depends who makes it. $40/gal is a good price, usually, I would buy from a place and they add $20 to ship (it's all in glass bottles which is the way to go). Grade B is rich and tasty, Grade A is lifht and fancy, not thick and rich, but most people think Grade A is what you want because it's fancy, but really it's just syrup with more water content......

I am due to get some syrple, it just cannot be had for a reasonable price away from the northeast.

I also need some pure maple candy, none of the blended stuff.

Maple syrup from Canada is junk by comparison to anything we make in VT, even NY has better syrple.

Take Care, God Bless, and be safe!
~AdkMtnGuy
WY0ADK

http://www.MacGregorSpecialties.com
NRA Certified Instructor
Defensive Shooting Instructor
Oath Keeper
Μολὼν Λαβέ

"Pain is your friend, it lets you know you're still alive and therefore you've still got fight left in you..." -me

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9 - New Line of Duty June 11, 2010 - WOOF!
And another one on top, Feb 14, 2012!

Challenge my Brute! http://mac.mybrute.com

Posts: 1695 | Location: Circle of Protection | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
^ there is no more "Grade B", but rather four degrees of "Grade A", per the Dept of Ag:

quote:
Now there is one grade: A, with four classifications to show there is not a difference in quality but in color and flavor.

Grade A: Golden color with delicate taste
Grade A: Amber color and rich taste
Grade A: Dark color and robust taste
Grade A: Very dark and strong taste

2015 article outlining the changes

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It seemed like a good idea...
Picture of lude4life
posted Hide Post
Oh yes. Emailed to place an order! Yum

-Jay

"Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware." -Alan Korwin

Posts: 2810 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: November 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post