SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wife Wants Out of TEACHING...Finally!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wife Wants Out of TEACHING...Finally! Login/Join 
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I taught middle school at a Title 1 school for a decade. (Poor, inner city) All the problems described above exist the one I could not get past was the pay.

If teaching paid what each teacher was actually WORTH then I'd still be teaching. I'll be the first to admit there are WAY TOO MANY teachers who don't belong in teaching they should be shown the door post-haste. The good ones though...well I think we all know the value of a good teacher.

I left teaching and started my own business. I miss "my" kids but enjoy a better lifestyle. (not just money)

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
My better half retired last June after teaching in primary school for 43 years. I couldn't convince her to go back and make it 45 years. She said enough was enough and smacked me upside the head.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
My mother is a retired teacher. She left the public schools, went to private schools, got fed up with them as well and went to work teaching GED programs in a state prison. She said that was the best teaching job she ever had.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
my wife is a special ed teacher god bless her it takes a special kind of person to do that good and she gets paid crap

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
My wife has been teaching for 14 years. She just took off using 2 months of sick time to get a break from a senior class she teaches and the parents that think their children are entitled. The principal backed her up at the District. This is vocational school with 7 high schools. Hers is for Law and Public Safety. The principal himself told me that last year he gave letters of recommendation to all the seniors to the local Police Departments that asked for them. This year he is embarrassed that out of a class of 25 students he can only see himself giving out 2 recommendations. I don't know what happened to this class, as the others, Freshman-Juniors are all good classes.
I work in the district as a sub, and for the most part the students are there because they want to be there and for the most part are well behaved.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by side_shot:
my wife is a special ed teacher god bless her it takes a special kind of person to do that good and she gets paid crap

This is very true. I loved teaching special education students. What I hated was all the paperwork. Each student had a Individural Education Plan (IEP). It was 23 pages. Then you had three reports that went home to the parents. Plus we had to contact the students that graduated the year before to see how their post secondary plans were doing. Once in SPED, there was no escape. Believe me I tried.

Now retired, I run into my students from years ago. They have jobs. I like to think that I help give them a chance to succeed. However, no way I'd go back to teach.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fdan:
After many decades (not years, decades) my wife has finally decided to retire. She still enjoys the "pure teaching" part but has had it with incompetent administration and never-ending additional workload beyond that needed for the classroom itself. 70-hour weeks during the school year and for several weeks prior to the start of each school year are routine (at least for those teachers that really care and want to do their very best). She's also tired of spending between $1000-2000 every year out-of-her-pocket for classroom supplies that the district can't or won't provide. But they can always seem to afford an additional 2-3 "assistant Superintendents." I'm also retiring soon (will do some limited consulting already lined up) and our primary focus in life will be to spoil our new granddaughter!

Our wives must be sisters separated at birth. In 2 yrs she'll have 30 years and wishes she could go sooner. Had enough for the same reason. Loves the kids, disappointed in the way everything else has gone to interfere with the job she was hired to do.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in "my day", we had the Parochial school Nuns with 18" rulers who always managed to restore order in the classroom.

When the Nun headed toward us swinging that ruler, we scattered.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
My wife taught elementary school for about 6 years and loved TEACHING but hated dealeing with the problem children, the parents that did not parent, and the liberal indoctrination.

She went back to school to get her nursing degree. Since she already had her education degree she qualified for the accelerated bachelors RN program that was 18 months. It was no joke serious hard work getting it done that fast many many folks did not make it.

She is a fantastic nurse and makes excellent money with great benefits which allows her to work part time and make plenty more than she did as a teacher.

If it were up to me she would go to med school and be a doctor.

Good advice, above.
Nurses teach, all the time. Teaching residents how to not kill people, teaching patients about their illnesses and new meds, everything.
There are also great options for being a "Nursing Educator" in the hospital doing yearly recertification classes, in-services, etc.

It's worth looking at.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
My wife taught elementary school for about 6 years and loved TEACHING but hated dealeing with the problem children, the parents that did not parent, and the liberal indoctrination.

She went back to school to get her nursing degree. Since she already had her education degree she qualified for the accelerated bachelors RN program that was 18 months. It was no joke serious hard work getting it done that fast many many folks did not make it.

She is a fantastic nurse and makes excellent money with great benefits which allows her to work part time and make plenty more than she did as a teacher.

If it were up to me she would go to med school and be a doctor.

Good advice, above.
Nurses teach, all the time. Teaching residents how to not kill people, teaching patients about their illnesses and new meds, everything.
There are also great options for being a "Nursing Educator" in the hospital doing yearly recertification classes, in-services, etc.

It's worth looking at.

Bruce

I should have noted my wife’s time is split about 50/50 patient care and education.
My wife’s program is doing very well so hopefully she will solely run her specific program and move away from patient care. She loves doing both but it is difficult juggling both things.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post