SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Filson Tin Cloth Cruiser Jackets - does Sigforum approve?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Filson Tin Cloth Cruiser Jackets - does Sigforum approve? Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I prefer the Barbour Beaufort if you want that type of fabric. They are $399.
I'm a tightwad and I've bought some great deals on them at the end of the season on eBay, always for under $100 and almost new condition.

This...I have had my Barbour for 10 years, just retreated it myself. I think I went too heavy though and my send it in through Orvis.

Great coats that will last until your grand ids get it.

Just wipe off any excess with a clean cloth and hang it in a warm room like a laundry room for a day or two. The wax will absorb more evenly that way.

Posts: 9509 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I prefer the Barbour Beaufort if you want that type of fabric. They are $399.
I'm a tightwad and I've bought some great deals on them at the end of the season on eBay, always for under $100 and almost new condition.

This x 3! I love my Barbour Beaufort for fall and late spring. For a little cooler weather I love my Barbour Northumbria.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I’ve got some more jackets to look into. Thanks for the feedback!

There are so many good choices available these days whether your talking guns, watches, cameras, etc....heck even socks. Smile

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
No personal experience with waxed cotton outerwear, some observations anyway. It seems waxed cotton is the first breathable water resistant outerwear. They are a bit heavy when you need a waterproof shell, and somewhat stiff. The limited ability to clean it is another negative. The plus is durability and abrasion resistance. It seems to be great for three seasons wear in moderate and wet climates as indicated by its popularity in the Pacific Northwest and British Isles.

If you don't need "rain can pop up anytime" ability, and the abrasion resistance, waxed cotton doesn't appear the best choice. I think a wool coat for cold and a shell for rain is a better choice if you live somewhere where rain is more seasonal or sporadic.

Waxed cotton outerwear seems good for working in conditions where you subject to abrasion, wet conditions between about 30-to 60 F.

I'd get a Filson wool coat or jacket and a shell if you want a lifetime garment for cold and a shell for wet. If you really are looking at a wet conditions mild weather jacket, I'd look at shells such as offered by Sitka and Arctyx.

Posts: 7454 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
I looked at the Filson myself but ultimately went with a Barbour Bedale. I love the fit and the weight of the cloth. Plenty of room for arm movement and likely to be something my son will get down the road.

On a whim I just bought a Triple Aught Design Talisman. Nice jacket but I'm worried it is going to take a while to get the nice worn brown patina.

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I was overwhelmed with my own Barbour Beaufort back in the 90s when first discovered what 'perfection in rain gear' could mean.

My model was some custom version as there was no lining. In any case, it provided ample dry comfort in the wettest PNW downfall of the 'cold-wet season'. After a few years it was stolen along with a various irreplaceable personal items, long turned over to the local LEOs.

Search for suitable replacement took years. The typical Mackinaw wool cruiser jackets of Filson were simply too warm. The myriad Barbour models all exceeded my budget.

I've explored the field for possible choices for something I can wear in dreadful weather yet not be overheated. Something I can do firewood chores in without fretting about some kind of fabric issue.

A few years back I came across a sale on a "Frogg Togg" lightweight rain jacket.

They had one that fit, and for $32 it's been serving me very well. I just looked up the company tonight. Didn't realize how many different model designs they have.

Their fabric is of a different style than either the waxed cotton, dense wool, or coated Gortex style.

The ski-world stylings don't appeal for my use.

It has to be really wet/cold/windy to need such as my Drover Coat. I used to wear that to the cowboy matches in 32* weather & still be plenty warm.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I've owned Filson for 40 years, used it for about 20+ years. It's OK for standing around, or riding a horse. But for strenuous activities it simply never worked for me. The waxed tincloth does not breath.

There are far better modern fabric choices out there, unless You simply like the look of it.

What size do you need?

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I'm another Barbour fan, have the Beaufort and a vest. I got them when I lived in NJ and they were great for cold, damp weather. If it was real cold, I'd just put on a sweater under the jacket and be fine. I have a Filson Tin Cloth cap, been using it for 20 years.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a Barbour Prestbury. It’s a great coat; however, it has a stand-up collar (some might say military-style). I have some regret that I didn’t get a coat that is compatible with the snap-on hood. That’s mostly because of the wind here rather than a real need to be out in the rain with it.

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not a fan of tin cloth - it's... clammy at all times - maybe a lined one would be better. I had a shelter cloth jacket that I wanted to use as a rain coat for woods work. It was durable enough, but it was definitely NOT waterproof in a modern waterproof jacket sort of way (like say my goretex fishing gear).

They're also sized - odd. Make sure you try them on before purchasing. They shoulders were narrower than I like. My shelter cloth jacket also shrunk some after being out in an all day drencher cutting wood (likely because I just hung it to dry)

Shawn

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sreding: My shelter cloth jacket also shrunk some after being out in an all day drencher cutting wood (likely because I just hung it to dry)

Shawn

Of course it did, its unwashed cotton. Filson has many qualities that make their products desirable, chief among them is nostalgia. If performance, fit, design and comfort take priority, there's other brands/products on the market that are much better than what Filson does. There's a place for them in the marketplace, people just need to know what they're getting into.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Sorry, I'll stick with Carhartt, but to each his own.

I will agree.

Posts: 1955 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I wear my tin cloth field coat everywhere. Granted I live in the south, but i rarely use the liner. I generally dont feel the need to wear the wool liner, even in sub freezing temps like we had this morning. I have owned Barbour jackets in the past and liked them a lot... but the Filson tin cloth is just a bullet proof option. I do everything in mine from duck hunting to camping to church to office wear. Been wearing pretty much exclusively for 6 years now. I had it rewaxed last summer by Filson, they patched one small tear... looks good as new. It is truly a buy once/cry once product, imo.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
regarding the "they will repair" from the post above me.

I sent in a Filson bag my Dad bought right after WW2. It was used to carry his carpentry tools. It was shot. They rebuilt it with a new double cloth bottom and leather straps. They kept the exterior cloth, but lined it with new cloth. IIRC the cost was about what maybe the leather strap and shipping back cost. I was very grateful.

So Filson has my loyalty. Still use my canvas cloth briefcase and three different bags/duffel bag. Tough stuff.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one and love it. It's like a jean jacket with more style. If you are in the Houston area try Reserve Supply Company in the downtown area. They stock them and are great to deal with. Plus there is an awesome taco truck next door!

Posts: 180 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I have a filson wool cruiser, best garment you could imagine. I don't use the tin garments because I need the warmth, but I've seen them used by guys running dogs through thick stuff.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8682 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
I've owned Filson for 40 years, used it for about 20+ years. It's OK for standing around, or riding a horse. But for strenuous activities it simply never worked for me. The waxed tincloth does not breath.

There are far better modern fabric choices out there, unless You simply like the look of it.

What size do you need?

I ordered and received a 3x sized tin cruiser. It’s a heavy jacket and maybe a tad too large but a 2x would be iffy. Plus, I may wear a hoodie underneath it when it isn’t raining and it’s colder out.

I haven’t had the opportunity to wear it yet. I plan to wear it as an everyday jacket - because I can. I hope we get some nasty weather soon. Smile

The other brands didn’t seem to have 3x sizes so they weren’t in the running in the end.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Filson is 100% in my book. I have had their products for over 30 years. I have one tin jacket that's about 20 years old and still going (hunting/herding/chainsawing). It's got a few holes and rips but still does what it's built to do. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post