SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Filson Tin Cloth Cruiser Jackets - does Sigforum approve?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Filson Tin Cloth Cruiser Jackets - does Sigforum approve? Login/Join 
posted
Do the Filson Tin Cruiser jackets get Sigforum’s seal of approval?

They’re expensive and cool looking but I’ve never seen one in person.

Here is a link for those that haven’t seen one of this type before. I like the history of them and the patina they develop with use:

https://www.filson.com/tin-clo...010006-fco-000000048

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've have one of the tin cloth coats that has the removable wool liner

I also have a pair of the field pants that Ive abused while hunting, you couldn't tell

it will last for ever, mine is close to 30 yrs old and still looks great

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Highly approve.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Fine garments, but I'll save a little and buy L.L.Bean.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stiff, will require a bit of time to break-in; minimal to zero stretch, unlike denim or, duck canvas. It's a straight-up shell jacket so, don't expect any warmth other than it's ability to seal-out the elements. Unbelievably durable, if you're looking for a jacket that can take a beating, this is a very good option. Not the greatest for wet/breathable but, it's main attribute is durability. I have the oil finish pants for dirty jobs and it's a champ, lots of character after 10-years of use.

Posts: 14649 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And get a tin hat to match. My tin hat is 10+ years old, looks great and still turns water.
Filson makes stuff you can pass on to your kids!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I'll stick with Carhartt, but to each his own.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9153 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ok for the drive in movie I guess,
but if you are taking me out for pie and a soda
after a day of antiquing , we'll have to
re think a bit

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54622 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have plenty of Filson but not this coat. Several friends do own one. Fine jacket. I got 2 shirts and misc delivered on Thursday.

Posts: 787 | Registered: April 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Yes

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had one for years but it hangs in the garage and seldom does the occasion arise to wear that stinking thing. Afraid that the wax/oils will transfer onto the upholstery of the vehicle driven that day. I can say that other articles of Filson have been bomb proof over the years. Very good warranty as well.

Posts: 901 | Location: Wilmington,NC....I-40 West, use it! | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I like Filson, but haven’t found them to be a favorite of mine. I did not buy a tin cloth cruiser, but I did buy a tin cloth jacket and moleskin liner. I used mine when I was working horseback. I found that when the temperature warmed up, and I rolled it up, and tied it behind the cantle, that it soon began to smell like sweaty horse. You can’t wash it, all you can do is kind of hose it off. My wife called it my “stinky coat.” When it’s cold it gets stiff.

I would seriously consider Filson’s shelter cloth cruiser instead. FWIW

Posts: 13253 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Stiff and uncomfortable, IMO. Not particularly warm for their weight, either. But they are durable and expensive.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The technology is dated. Filson is quality but for waterproof, they have better options.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i have the chaps. Really not that stiff. Very durable and water repellent. It is different, but I do not feel it is dated.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19172 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
I love the shirt-jac I have from them, but buy the discontinued ones from Sierra Trading Post for a fraction of the original cost. I beat the one I have to hell and it still looks brand new.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I've had the Filson Oil Tin Cloth Vest for going on 25 years. It's virtues are undiminished over the decades. With suitable hat, I've found it incredibly comfortable from direct sunshine to almost-heavy rain. If my sweat shirt sleeves layered under neath become too sopping wet, it's time to go with another kind of work gear.

Given the season in my PNW territory, this is a perfect year round choice and has neutralized about 80% of the need for other outdoor outer wear....but I'm remarking on the vest not the cruiser jacket which I haven't had.

While stiff softens with wear. The company advised me long ago there was only 'rise with soapy water' and no real way to clean. And there is a bit of an old fashioned oil cloth odor that follows you around.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Sorry, I'll stick with Carhartt, but to each his own.

If I didn’t know better I’d think it was Carhartt.

Posts: 4105 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Barbour Beaufort if you want that type of fabric. They are $399.
I'm a tightwad and I've bought some great deals on them at the end of the season on eBay, always for under $100 and almost new condition.

Posts: 9499 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I prefer the Barbour Beaufort if you want that type of fabric. They are $399.
I'm a tightwad and I've bought some great deals on them at the end of the season on eBay, always for under $100 and almost new condition.

This...I have had my Barbour for 10 years, just retreated it myself. I think I went too heavy though and my send it in through Orvis.

Great coats that will last until your grand ids get it.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post