SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Back to "Timing the market" sort of
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back to "Timing the market" sort of Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
If you think about it, buying on the way down is the same as buying on the way up-you just start earlier.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
The 800 pt plunge was what was hoping to avoid. On well. Should of known since the stupid closure of today, figures. Roll Eyes

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If you're thinking about timing the market now, it shows how bad a concept it is.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, SELLING is a bit late but BUYING is not. Could be an opportunity.

I'm 30% cash since Jan'17. Time to start dribbling it in soon.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
My investments are managed by a financial guy that I trust – he’s done well for me. Over the past several days he’s been selling some securities at a loss to offset taxable gains earlier in the year, and replacing them with similar securities.

He’s fee-based, so I don’t pay for trading costs.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This may be a thread drift...

I'm youngish, trying to be responsible and save for retirement. I'm in it for the long haul, a "set it and forget it if you will".

I opened up a Roth 457 in 2015 and am investing in the default TIAA-CREF Lifecycle 2055 Fund - Institutional Class. I don't know squat about stocks, is this worth a crap or is there another fund/stock/etf/thing I should consider?

-----------------------
be safe.

Posts: 260 | Location: DFW, Texas | Registered: June 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
slight thread drift, but I thought I'd ask here rather than start another financial thread. If this is too off topic I will though.

Up until 2015 I managed my own investments. My new wife had a Raymond James FP and I reluctantly decided to let him manage my investments too as with a new child, and a new job I was not keeping a very close eye on my funds.

So I turned my IRA and Roth IRA over to him to manage as well as a joint cash fund my wife and I had.

Since 2015 he's made gains of:

9% my IRA
18.5% my Roth
14% wife's IRA
13% wife's Roth
9% Joint

These are actual value changes after fees etc. that I keep track of myself, not those inflated "personal returns" that they like to use.

Obviously I wish all of them were like my Roth, but they're not. My question is for those of you that have been keeping a closer eye than me on the markets the last few years, how is he doing? Should I pull a DJT and tell him "you're fired" Big Grin

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
To be honest ubo, since 2015 just about anyone including the blind squirrel should have done very well during that time period.

I shrug when members say their FP is the only way o go. Got news guys. They better of made you a lot of money in the last 10 years.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
A dow index fund would be up around 30% from 1/1/15 to today. I'd drop the fp from my Christmas list.

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Looks like the markets could be in for a bit of a rough start tomorrow...

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Another day...

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23944 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post