SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vinyl siding recommendations please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vinyl siding recommendations please Login/Join 
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted
I need to get my house resided. I've gotten one estimate so far and it's absolutely insane. I have some friends in the construction trades that can hook me up with laborers that do siding full time, so I'll GC the project myself.

I'm looking for recommendations on specific brands. Insulated vs non-insulated etc.

After a quick search, it looks like Crane, Alcoa (mastic) and Certain Teed are the major players.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
What part of the country do you live?
For example ~ here in Texas vinyl siding is not good for us ~ we use Hardi Plank.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
I live in NJ. The house currently has vinyl.

posted Hide Post
I have mastic .042" thick vinyl siding in a part of the country that sees plenty of hail every year. I've had no problems with it and most importantly, don't have to paint it!

Posts: 441 | Location: Wichita, KS USA | Registered: April 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Mastic is a good brand. My brother has a roofing and siding home improvement business in NJ. The prices for siding from brand to brand (same quality) are very similar. To make it easier for customers, he gives the same quote no matter which siding you chose so you don't go crazy thinking I like this brand, but brand X is less expensive. The fake cedar shakes and other non conventional vinyl usually cost double of normal vinyl siding.
If you GC it, make sure who you pick has proof of insurance. That is usually where you see a difference in price quotes.

Also, you have to take off the old vinyl, consider that in the estimate cost. I would have the house wrapped in Tyvek, and insulation.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
Mastic is a good brand. My brother has a roofing and siding home improvement business in NJ. The prices for siding from brand to brand (same quality) are very similar. To make it easier for customers, he gives the same quote no matter which siding you chose so you don't go crazy thinking I like this brand, but brand X is less expensive. The fake cedar shakes and other non conventional vinyl usually cost double of normal vinyl siding.
If you GC it, make sure who you pick has proof of insurance. That is usually where you see a difference in price quotes.

Also, you have to take off the old vinyl, consider that in the estimate cost. I would have the house wrapped in Tyvek, and insulation.

email inbound

posted Hide Post
If it's already sided doing it yourself is not hard, and cuts the cost significantly. Remove the old, rewrap, and put the new stuff on. Getting the first row straight is the hard part, but if you already have the starter strip in place you're good.

I got a quote once and couldn't believe it. To give a point of reference I was quoted almost $15k. I had already priced the material and it was about $3k. When I asked the rep why the huge difference he told me that it took skilled people as it was like doing finish carpentry.

I did the whole house with a pair of snips, a few razor blades, and a rafter square. Year or so later a guy who does it for a living was at my place and complimented me on it.

Search online and the manufacturers have some really good instructions out there with calculators tohelp you buy the right amount.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CertainTeed is a premium brand used a lot around here.

Some of their products you have to touch it to realize its plastic.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
There is also the price of aluminum to cap over window sills, door moldings, etc. New down spouts might be needed or at least the hardware for them. It all depends on how faded or damaged it all is.
The guy I worked for primarily used certainteed and azek for around windows and doors.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3865 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Morgan:
There is also the price of aluminum to cap over window sills, door moldings, etc. New down spouts might be needed or at least the hardware for them. It all depends on how faded or damaged it all is.

Yes, in addition to the siding, I intend to replace the gutters, spouts and the overhangs. I do not want shutters, which are typical in my area. I'd like a 5" border around doors and windows.

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry I have no information to offer, but I do have a question:

Does everyone use Tyvek for a wrap/ does everyone use a wrap?

The reason I ask is that I used to wear Tyvek suits at work- and while they were definitely impermeable, they also didn't breathe- at all. I'd be dying inside that thing after a few hours. Doesn't a house need to breathe, too?

Just trying to educate myself- our home could use residing as well, but it's pretty old, and I'm pretty sure there's no Tyvek in there...

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
As a builder let me give you a couple of pieces of unsolicited advise ;-)

1. When you remove the existing siding check the substrate behind it. Is it OSB, plywood or what?

2. How are the windows flashed? Now would be the time to have it done properly. If you need to tape it I highly recommend using the Zip System flashing tape (available at Lowes etc>Wink

3. Insulation is cheap..Again Insulation is cheap. Now is the time to install 1/2" Styrofoam panels over the sheathing (over the house wrap). Be sure to tape the seams. This will make your walls SIGNIFICANTLY more insulated. As Rush says "Trust me on this".

4. Don't bother using the insulated vinyl as it is cheap insulation and does not cover as well as the 4x8 sheets mentioned above. Plus it's more expensive than what I use.

5. I recommend using a 044 panel or thicker. Brand ( as long as they are a well known one) are all pretty much the same. Look at their warranty.

6. Make sure to install in in moderate weather, like now..

If you have any other questions my email is in my profile..

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post