SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Well, mosquito season is officially here
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well, mosquito season is officially here Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
With the record setting wetness that we've had here since about, oh...November, I knew it was going to be a bad year for those little spawns of Satan, but I wasn't expecting this. The hatch went off yesterday, and they are now thick.

A couple of years ago we got a boatload of snow and it was an unusually wet spring. That June, the skeeters were deadly, but only after around 1500. Before that you could be outside nekkid and not get stabbed, but at 1500 you'd better have the DEET slathered on or be indoors. Thankfully, once July rolled around it had dried up enough that they were all gone.

This year is going to be worse. Saturday I was out in the garden fortress all day. No skeeters. Sunday was a whole different story. From 0800-1000, no issues. After 10? They ran me out of there. Today? I got out there at 0700 and at 0800 I was done. Up my nose, in my ears, everywhere.

I'm happy I thought ahead a few weeks ago and ordered up a shit-ton of refills for my Thermacells.

Come on July. Get here already.

Posts: 20087 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Do those Thermacells work pretty well?

I hate skeeters about as much as anything. They do a pretty good job of controlling them down here, given that we live next to the Everglades, but one is too many as far as I'm concerned.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Thermacells are about the only thing that will allow me to be out on the deck in the evenings when the skeeters are out.

They work great for me.

Posts: 20087 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
When bowhunting season rolls around, my Thermacell stays on in the blind. Without it, I get eaten alive by the little bastards, but with it on I almost never get bitten.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
If there is a Satan - it's made of equal parts of Cheegroes, Skeeters, and Humidity.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I remember pulling up to the Best Western in Glasgow, MT one summer after traveling for a good 30 hours straight (towards West Glacier).

My sisters stepped out of the motor home and suddenly started flailing their arms around and screaming, and took off running for the front door. It was a literal wall of mosquitos everywhere you turned.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post