SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sous Vide Filet Mignon Last Night
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sous Vide Filet Mignon Last Night Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
As always well photographed and drool worthy.

It looks like you did your sear on a grill. With a reverse sear, I really like the cast iron skillet sear better since more surface gets a fuller maillard reaction in the short amount of time you're searing. The area between the grill marks is the majority of surface area which is only getting a tan sear rather than the more flavorful brown sear.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hawkins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
That looks awesome but I'm not into the Sous Vide thing. I read on the foodie forums I visit of guys who take making a steak a two day process out of it. On those forums there are some pretty heated battles between the SV and non SV guys.

One comment that always pops up is if you boil ribs and put them in a crock pot your a terrorist but you put them in a baggie and stick them in bath water for 24 hours your a progressive cook!

There are obviously excellent results to this method but I just don't like the idea of all the added extra time. Besides I'm always cooking way to much at a time to make it even practical.

a reasonable cut of steak (ribeye, NY strip, something you'd normally consider cooking) is done in an hour, maybe 90 minutes. It can hold around 4 hours if you want the flexibility. And its really not that bad. Bag and cook it while you're doing other things, then come back right before its done to sear it.

The 24 hour cooks come when you take a tough roast (round is my nemesis) and cook it long enough for it to become tender enough to eat.

Hell, i'll put ice water in a cooler, along with some bagged chicken or pork tenderloin, and start my cook at around noon, remotely from work. Perfectly done by the time we get home, and we've learned there are some recipes that don't even need a sear

--------------
July NoVA Sigshoot: Shooter's Paradise; 0900 (9AM) 23July05

My Signature is almost a decade out of date!

Posts: 4686 | Location: VA | Registered: April 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EZ_B:
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
When we’re ready, we drop the frozen bags in the water, cook to 140° and sear.

For this steak, I set the circulator to 129° F.

What is this circulator ?

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
What is this circulator ?

The "circulator" is the sous vide unit. It has an internal heater as well as a pump to circulate the water to keep the temperature at the set point.

One of the best known is the Anova unit. I started with the original Bluetooth one, and managed to get the combination Bluetooth/WiFi unit on an Amazon Treasure Truck special a few months ago.

https://anovaculinary.com/

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
uber-geek
Picture of rwdflynavy
posted Hide Post
I just dropped some ribs in the sous vide. They will be yummy tonight.

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them." ~George Mason

chartprepping.com Retirement Planning and Random Musings from a Military Perspective

Posts: 3391 | Location: Big Lick Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins:
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
That looks awesome but I'm not into the Sous Vide thing. I read on the foodie forums I visit of guys who take making a steak a two day process out of it. On those forums there are some pretty heated battles between the SV and non SV guys.

One comment that always pops up is if you boil ribs and put them in a crock pot your a terrorist but you put them in a baggie and stick them in bath water for 24 hours your a progressive cook!

There are obviously excellent results to this method but I just don't like the idea of all the added extra time. Besides I'm always cooking way to much at a time to make it even practical.

a reasonable cut of steak (ribeye, NY strip, something you'd normally consider cooking) is done in an hour, maybe 90 minutes. It can hold around 4 hours if you want the flexibility. And its really not that bad. Bag and cook it while you're doing other things, then come back right before its done to sear it.

The 24 hour cooks come when you take a tough roast (round is my nemesis) and cook it long enough for it to become tender enough to eat.

Hell, i'll put ice water in a cooler, along with some bagged chicken or pork tenderloin, and start my cook at around noon, remotely from work. Perfectly done by the time we get home, and we've learned there are some recipes that don't even need a sear

Thank you Hawkins as I said I do not SV due to the fact that if I make steaks it's usually 6 or more because I like left overs or all the kids seem to have a knack for showing up when dad is cooking! The pictures I have seen of the finished product like this post leave me no doubt of it's effectiveness.
It just doesn't fit my style of cooking due to time involved as well as a big tub of water setting on the kitchen counter for hours would get me the stink eye from the real cook of the house! Big Grin

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I’m a BIG. Sous Vide fan. It is NOT the end all method for cooking! It shines with certain kinds of proteins, for example thicker/lesser cuts of meats that normally aren’t chosen because of toughness. There are times I will ONLY grill certain types of steaks, like Rib-eyes. I’m of the palate that I prefer mine grilled as the fat disapates at a much better end result for me. Not fatty globs. Now a tri-tip roast, New York Strip, of flank, Sous Vide them for the appropriate time and temp, reverse sear and Heaven is to be had!
The reverse searing can be done with gas/charcoal grill, cast iron, torch, or broiler. SUPERB results can be had by lightly smearing on Mayonnaise and under a really hot broiler, yes Mayo!! You’ll never know it’s been used!
Sous Vide is just ANOTHER cooking process. Not an end all, but for some..... amazing!!!!!!
https://imgur.com/a/Irj7cVP

https://imgur.com/a/QX09wFT

https://imgur.com/a/3FKoCjd

https://imgur.com/a/BL8DjO4

I’ll NEVER ruin a flank steak again by a salty marinade again, salt, pepper, Sous Vide at 137 degrees for 8 hrs and reverse sear( see pic)
Lots to learn but worth every bite!! For those that want a FABULOUS meal, Tri-tip roast, salt, pepper, fresh rosemary, sealed, in the jacuzzi for 6 hrs at 138 degrees and seared on a HOT Hickory grill
Delicious!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sybo,

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:
EZ_B, you sir, are an artist. That looks damned delicious.

Thank you Sir. It was very tasty!

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:
quote:
Originally posted by EZ_B:
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
When we’re ready, we drop the frozen bags in the water, cook to 140° and sear.

For this steak, I set the circulator to 129° F.

How long did you cook it in the water?

One hour and 15 minutes.

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
As always well photographed and drool worthy.

It looks like you did your sear on a grill. With a reverse sear, I really like the cast iron skillet sear better since more surface gets a fuller maillard reaction in the short amount of time you're searing. The area between the grill marks is the majority of surface area which is only getting a tan sear rather than the more flavorful brown sear.

Thanks.

This steak was seared in a heavy, non-stick pan.

The first sous vide steak I prepared was finished on the grill and, to your point, the sear was less than optimal

To try to optimize my sear I ordered THIS infrared thermometer. I use it to get the pan as hot as possible, without exceeding the smoke point of the oil I am using.

I have also found that drying off the surface of the steak (and then re-seasoning it) before the sear helps develop a more satisfying crust.

Finally, I like putting aromatics in the bag with the meat (with a little butter). I used fresh Thyme with this steak and it added some subtle additional deliciousness.

I reserve the liquid contents of the sous vide bag and throw it in the searing pan for the last 45 seconds or so of the sear to add more flavor.