SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sous Vide Filet Mignon Last Night
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sous Vide Filet Mignon Last Night Login/Join 
posted
I've been playing around with my new sous vide circulator.

Here we have a nice half-pound filet:

Served on top of a broccoli puree and radicchio and blue cheese salad:

Perfect edge-to-edge medium rare inside:

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Nice!

I couldn't help but read your post in a Gordon Ramsay voice. Big Grin

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
What a great way to cook meat. My favorite is thick New York steaks. We buy a half dozen when they are on sale. We season them and seal them with our Seal-a-Meal and freeze. When we’re ready, we drop the frozen bags in the water, cook to 140° and sear.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Where’s the bacon?

I don’t think my French inlaws will ever forget when they asked me if I knew what “mignon” meant, and my reply was “wrapped in bacon.”

That looks really, really decent, bacon or no.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Where is this restaurant!?

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
When we’re ready, we drop the frozen bags in the water, cook to 140° and sear.

For this steak, I set the circulator to 129° F.

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Where’s the bacon?

I don’t think my French inlaws will ever forget when they asked me if I knew what “mignon” meant, and my reply was “wrapped in bacon.”

You learn something new every day...

Yes, this steak was plenty juicy and tasty without the bacon wrap.

Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I'd eat it. Nice job!

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EZ_B:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Where’s the bacon?

You learn something new every day...

Yes, this steak was plenty juicy and tasty without the bacon wrap.

Don’t learn that! “Mignon” means “cute.”

My reply was memorable to them because it was unexpected, hilarious and typically American. I doubt my mother in law ever laughed so long or hard before or since.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
You inspired me. Just picked up butt end of tenderloin for $9.99 per pound on sale. Will be sous vided and roasted veggies on the side.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
That 3rd pic is trick photography Razz

Perfectly cooked, great job as usual.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
What a great way to cook meat. My favorite is thick New York steaks. We buy a half dozen when they are on sale. We season them and seal them with our Seal-a-Meal and freeze. When we’re ready, we drop the frozen bags in the water, cook to 140° and sear.

140°?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
that looks delightful

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I'd eat the hell outta that. Smile

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Wow, does that look good!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That looks great! Low carb too, meat, veggies, my kind of "health" food. Wink

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There needs to be SF restaurant.

Posts: 1176 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
EZ_B, you sir, are an artist. That looks damned delicious.

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EZ_B:
quote:
When we’re ready, we drop the frozen bags in the water, cook to 140° and sear.

For this steak, I set the circulator to 129° F.

How long did you cook it in the water?

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
That looks awesome but I'm not into the Sous Vide thing. I read on the foodie forums I visit of guys who take making a steak a two day process out of it. On those forums there are some pretty heated battles between the SV and non SV guys.

One comment that always pops up is if you boil ribs and put them in a crock pot your a terrorist but you put them in a baggie and stick them in bath water for 24 hours your a progressive cook!

There are obviously excellent results to this method but I just don't like the idea of all the added extra time. Besides I'm always cooking way to much at a time to make it even practical.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post