SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sous vide triumph!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sous vide triumph! Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
I bought a~2 lb round roast select grade Wednesday to try with my Anova sous vide device.

Online recipes say for medium rare, 134 degrees for 24-30 hours.

I seasoned the meat with salt and pepper, and put it in yesterday afternoon. Time was up about 30 minutes ago. After a several minute sear, here is what it looks like:

The round roasts I have roasted in the oven in the past have been on the chewy side, even somewhat tough. This one doesn’t seem to be, at all.

Based on a few initial tastes, I would season it a bit more generously. Otherwise, this will be terrific eating for me all weekend.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Looks great! I haven't tried anything large yet.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I did a ten pound ham, using a picnic cooler as a vessel. Followed by fifteen or twenty minutes in a hot oven to glaze it. Was great.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Looks great! I haven't tried anything large yet.

My facilities are minimal. I use a pot, 6-8 qts probably, that we use for pasta, coq au vin, etc. with the Anova.

Otoh, there are only two eaters here and the young, thin, blonde French girl doesn’t eat red meats, so this works out just fine for us.

I've done carrots, mashed potatoes, and a couple of steaks, plus a chuck steak, about the same size.

So far, so good!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JALLEN, your beef looks great! Go easy with salting meat for extended cooks. Your meat can take on a much more cured and firm texture if you are generous with the salt on large cuts in the SV over 6-8 hours, or smaller cuts over 2-3 hours. While I do believe in liberally salting steaks a long time before grilling, and the same with smoker or oven roasted large beef cuts, I go much easier when SVing the same things. I currently have a 12# prime rib in the bath right now, for Sunday supper.

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I am happy to report after the first meal, that this roast is as good as it looks, tasty, tender, delightful.

This started life as a bottom round roast. The idea of 24 hours in the water sounds like a lot of trouble, but other than setting up, then adding some water this morning, and the sear, there was no bother whatever.

There was a decent quantity of au jus in the baggie, which I reserved, too.

To serve, I put the thin slices in the microwave for 1 minute.

I’ll get 4 delightful meals from this, $10.

posted Hide Post
Excellent!

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I do like my sous vide, and it makes preparing food for large parties much easier...

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Sous Vide, gotta love what it does for SOME applications. It will NOT replace my smoker, Weber, and isn't the miracle for all food! But for an AWESOME Steak, PERRRFFFECCCTTT!! Mashed potatoes are SINFUL in the Sous Vide!!!!! Wink

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post