SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Umbrella policy recommendations?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Umbrella policy recommendations? Login/Join 
posted
For those who have umbrella (excess personal liability) policies, any recommendations for specific insurance companies you’d suggest buying one from? Thanks.

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I have Farmers. Auto, Home, and Umbrella. With this package plan prices are decent. Farmers’ web presence is archaic, but I seldom need it because my agent is helpful.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8936 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'm with PS; I have all three of those policies with Farmers. No issues.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38657 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I have auto, home and umbrella with travelers. I was required to increase my auto liability levels to qualify for the umbrella but the premiums are reasonable.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have my umbrella, plus home and auto with USAA, and have had for over 40 years.

Posts: 6614 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
You need to get it where your auto insurance is for the most part. There are a couple places that will write separate umbrella policies but most require you to have your auto insurance at the same place.

I have my umbrella and auto insurance at Geico and they give me the best rates by far.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Check out Amica. They have Auto, Home, and Umbrella.

Consumer Reports rates them #1 in homeowners, and #1 in Auto insurance. Addditionally, AM Best rates them A+ and their rating is stable.

I've had them a little over 3 years. Very competitive prices and did me right when my truck was caught in a hail storm.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have home, auto, and umbrella through Liberty Mutual. I get discounted rates througb work, and they have been the lowest rates the last few times I shopped.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
You need to get it where your auto insurance is for the most part. There are a couple places that will write separate umbrella policies but most require you to have your auto insurance at the same place.

I have my umbrella and auto insurance at Geico and they give me the best rates by far.

Auto is through GEICO, their underwriting partner for homeowners and umbrella liability is Travelers. Very happy with them; pricing is great. They had a bit of heartburn about the airplane insurance with another carrier, but GEICO don't do planes.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:

Auto is through GEICO, their underwriting partner for homeowners and umbrella liability is Travelers. Very happy with them; pricing is great. They had a bit of heartburn about the airplane insurance with another carrier, but GEICO don't do planes.

My umbrella is underwritten by Geico as is my auto. Homeowners is underwritten by another company.

From GEICO website...

GEICO Personal Umbrella Insurance is underwritten by Government Employees Insurance Company.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
as a carrier I use and recommend Chubb. But I think it is really best to use the same carrier as your underlying insurance carrier. It makes it seamless when you have an issue and avoids the risk that you have not met some part of the required underlying insurance. And umbrella's are very reasonable so you aren't going to save a bunch even if your carrier isn't the absolute lowest priced.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Allstate and definitely favorable price wise if you bundle auto and home.

Semper Fidelis

Posts: 119 | Location: Missouri | Registered: August 01, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have home, auto and umbrella through Erie. I was required to up my car insurance minimums which was not very much money. I got another multi policy discount so the 1M umbrella policy was only about $150 a year.

I think you would get the best deal bundling all through on carrier.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
For those of you who carry a firearm and are shopping an umbrella policy, you may want to verify that it covers you in the event of lawful self defense.

Some do, some don't.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post