SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    HID or LED headlight conversion.
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
HID or LED headlight conversion. Login/Join 
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted
Pros and cons of one over the other and who would you recommend? This will be for a 2010 Suburban.

Posts: 5720 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Report This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
If a HID conversion is not done correctly, it will blind the oncoming drivers. In some states, it can get you pulled over and ticketed.
Done correctly, with a proper cutoff, it's just a matter of money. But having driven my wife's car with them, I won't buy a car with conventional lights again.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Report This Post
Grab SKS,
go innawoods
Picture of mrmoneybags
posted Hide Post
There are no cons as long as you install proper reflectors, not just the bulbs. They're awesome.

Posts: 1913 | Location: 42003 | Registered: November 03, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a huge fan of Xenon Depot. Talk to Steve.

In my experience, they sell top quality components and have a wonderfully customer-centric attitude.

http://www.xenondepot.com

Posts: 217 | Registered: February 27, 2009Report This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
If a HID conversion is not done correctly, it will blind the oncoming drivers.

Even when they are done correctly..... ugh. I'm not sure, but I think "H.I.D." stands for "fuck everyone else, I want annoying bright lights!" or something like that. Wink

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Report This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:

Even when they are done correctly..... ugh. I'm not sure, but I think "H.I.D." stands for "fuck everyone else, I want annoying bright lights!" or something like that. Wink

Properly done, they have a cutoff for the beam. That should make it so the beam does not shine above grill height on a straight road. Hills will obviously affect this, but it's generally a short enough time to not be to bad.
Another problem is if the vehicle is overloaded and sagging the rear suspension. That will aim the beam higher.
I understand your frustration, but driving back roads with them is far safer. You can see the deer eyes and road conditions much curve in advance.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Report This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
The reflectors and "bulbs" are designed as a system. So just swapping LED or HID lamps is probably not a good idea.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Report This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:

Properly done, they have a cutoff for the beam. That should make it so the beam does not shine above grill height on a straight road. Hills will obviously affect this, but it's generally a short enough time to not be to bad.
Another problem is if the vehicle is overloaded and sagging the rear suspension. That will aim the beam higher.
I understand your frustration, but driving back roads with them is far safer. You can see the deer eyes and road conditions much curve in advance.

Totally agree and if your vehicle came "stock" with xenon or HID headlights, the lighting assembly has auto-levelers so it will adjust the headlights downwards to avoid blinding others if you have a heavy load.

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Report This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have a VVME HID kit in the standard halogen housings of a 2003 Explorer and the kit has been running strong for 8 years now. It did take a bit of time to adjust them properly so they were not blinding to other drivers.
I never get flashed from the opposite direction and they are not bad in a rear view mirror. I had my wife follow me in an SUV and a car to make sure they were set right.
This was when HIDs were still fairly new as an aftermarket add on so the light has a touch more blue tint to it than one would normally like and the ballasts are HUGE. They provide excelelnt light and are going 8 years strong and never replaced a bulb or ballast.

Our 2012 Highlander has a Kensun HID conversation kit in the factory halogen projector. These are about 2 years old and the ballasts are much thinner and the light is much more natural and no blue tint at all. The Highlanders projector provides and excellent cutoff. Adjustment was much easier than the Explorer. I only had to raise them a little but every Toyota I have driven feels like their lights are aimed low in my opinion.

I plan on picking up a Toyota Land Cruiser in the summer and I am planning on giving the Kensun LED kit a try as one does not have to worry about mounting ballasts.
I have no experience with them yet but if they are up to the quality of their HIDs I presume I will be quite happy.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25353 | Registered: September 06, 2003Report This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Just got home from a 200 mile holiday drive, mostly at night in eastern KY. Numerous assholes on the rural, 4 lane highway tonight, with HID bulbs in halogen reflectors. Most were blinding to other traffic. No cutoff to the beam, and super-bright light being scattered all over creation.
That being said...when done with proper reflectors or in factory halogen projectors, they work very well. We converted my wife's Honda hybrid using factory projectors, and she really enjoys the upgrade.
Our other cars have factory projector HIDs, and we'll never go back to halogen.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Report This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
The fogs in my Grand Cherokee were all but useless and I wanted to upgrade them to something a bit brighter and more of a driving light. HID conversion cost something like 300 for my application and involved wiring harness adapters and a bit of work. I decided to try an LED bulb instead. they cost 29 for the pair purchased off amazon were plug and play and are working great. Much brighter than the stock bulbs but still spread enough and dispersed as to not cause any trouble for oncoming drivers. I am very glad i did not spend the extra time and money on the HID setup.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Report This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I went through the same debate for my 2016 Tacoma. I went with a set of Morimoto HIDs for the low beams. The more reading I did, the more it seemed like they had better throw than the LED versions. No issues with blinding other drivers if you aim them correctly.

The new HIDs are awesome! I can see so much better than with the stock halogens. I will be replacing the high beams with LEDs soon; HIDs are good for flashing, so they are being used for low beams only.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Report This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBAR15:
The fogs in my Grand Cherokee were all but useless and I wanted to upgrade them to something a bit brighter and more of a driving light. HID conversion cost something like 300 for my application and involved wiring harness adapters and a bit of work. I decided to try an LED bulb instead. they cost 29 for the pair purchased off amazon were plug and play and are working great. Much brighter than the stock bulbs but still spread enough and dispersed as to not cause any trouble for oncoming drivers. I am very glad i did not spend the extra time and money on the HID setup.

I am presuming you have the 2504 bulb? What a crap bulb it is very minimally used by Diamler and Toyota until very recently there have been about zero options.
I am a big fan of yellow fogs and dislike HIDs for fogs.
This thread as kicked me into gear trying to find some decent yellow 2504 bulbs as there appear to be much better options than a couple years back. Looks like I may end up with LEDs, what brand did you end up with?

————————————————

Picture of 81chop
posted Hide Post
What timing this thread is. Just had a headlight (Silverstar) go out tonight, so I put the stock bulbs back in. Hate the dim, yellow light, so I ordered these:

https://www.carid.com/2007-for...n-kit-175098662.html

I can report back with results if you like.

Dave

Posts: 110 | Location: Central WI | Registered: March 22, 2015Report This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I would rather have a good set of fog lights like Hella that allow you to see off to the side of the road.

The only time I have hit a deer was when the inspection station made me take the Lucas Lights off my Corvette because they were not listed on the VA Approved List. Mad

High intensity lights can be a problem at night since you can not focus the side mirrors like you can the rear view mirror.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Report This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Rad:
I'm a huge fan of Xenon Depot. Talk to Steve.

In my experience, they sell top quality components and have a wonderfully customer-centric attitude.

http://www.xenondepot.com

+1 for XenonDepot! They will sell you a proper conversion kit for your particular vehicle, which is not simply a matter of bulb replacement in most cases. Depending on how "smart" your car is, the new power draw may cause some unintended consequences, but XD is usually aware of those issues as well and can usually provide workarounds if necessary.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Report This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 81chop:
What timing this thread is. Just had a headlight (Silverstar) go out tonight, so I put the stock bulbs back in. Hate the dim, yellow light, so I ordered these:

https://www.carid.com/2007-for...n-kit-175098662.html

I can report back with results if you like.

Dave

So how did they turn out for you?

Posts: 5720 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Report This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Buy some quality Philips xtreme vision bulbs and call it a day. IF You are buying proper projector housings, go with HID. If you are planning on sticking an HID kit in your regular non-projector headlights - it's basically illegal and blinds the shit out of everyone, regardless of what you think or what your friends tell you.

LED - just not there for headlights yet. I wouldn't waste my time.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Report This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you are planning on sticking an HID kit in your regular non-projector headlights - it's basically illegal and blinds the shit out of everyone, regardless of what you think or what your friends tell you.

It is not illegal maybe in some jurisdictions but not everywhere. I don't know how this nonsense gets started. It can be done dependent upon the housing not perfect and takes some time to properly aim them. I have HIDs in nonprojector halogen housings in my 2003 Explorer and they are aimed just fine. Not blinding by any stretch and I have spent plenty of time driving in front of it and testing it oncoming. Going on nearly 10 years with them and maybe have been flashed a handful of time me and mainly because I left my high beams on.

One can't just wappity wapp them in and not all housings will allow proper cut offs but it is possible.

————————————————

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
If you are planning on sticking an HID kit in your regular non-projector headlights - it's basically illegal and blinds the shit out of everyone, regardless of what you think or what your friends tell you.

It is not illegal maybe in some jurisdictions but not everywhere. I don't know how this nonsense gets started. It can be done dependent upon the housing not perfect and takes some time to properly aim them. I have HIDs in nonprojector halogen housings in my 2003 Explorer and they are aimed just fine. Not blinding by any stretch and I have spent plenty of time driving in front of it and testing it oncoming. Going on nearly 10 years with them and maybe have been flashed a handful of time me and mainly because I left my high beams on.

One can't just wappity wapp them in and not all housings will allow proper cut offs but it is possible.

According to the NHTSA it is illegal.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/...-vol5-sec571-108.xml

https://www.sema.org/files/att...v=-&__utmk=228228949

http://blogs.findlaw.com/law_a...eadlights-legal.html
quote:
Consumers should instead look to a federal regulation, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 108, which specifically discusses headlight systems. Under the standard, all replacement headlamps must be able to utilize a vehicle's existing light source, NHTSA advises.

So why not just change the light source from a regular halogen system to one that works with xenon or HID lights?

Because doing so likely violates a federal law, 49 U.S.C. 30122, which prohibits a mechanic from rendering inoperative any equipment installed in accordance with a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard, NHTSA says.

In short, "NHTSA has determined that it is impossible to produce HID conversion kits (converting a halogen system to HID) that would be compliant with ... FMVSS No. 108," according to SEMA, the aftermarket trade group. Of special concern is that "HID conversion kits can produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists."

Many state laws defer to these federal standards. That gives law enforcement the power to stop and issue citations for vehicles they believe contain illegal aftermarket xenon or HID lamps.

To save on the cost of xenon or HID conversion, some drivers opt to buy blue-tinted bulbs to simulate the effect of true HID lights. But some states explicitly state that headlights must emit a white light. Check with an experienced traffic attorney to make sure your car's lights are legal.

I had looked it up with the last vehicle I had (sold it last summer). The headlights were dim no matter what bulb I used and I looked into replacing them with HID...I couldn't find anything definitive that said they were legal and didn't want the potential hassle.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post