SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Should I be replacing a Delta shower cartridge every 2 years??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should I be replacing a Delta shower cartridge every 2 years?? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

Most cities here install back flow preventers now, so you must have an expansion tank to absorb the pressure created by the water heater.

Well damn, it's the case of different regulations for different areas..... here, they only install back flow preventors for new commercial buildings.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
It is due to meth labs. The cities want to protect the water supply from any contamination.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8212 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
I have MOEMs in the showers...they give free replacements. I get two every two years so I don't run into any of them sticking into the unit.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1630 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
My Delta kitchen faucet cartridge lasted less than a year.
They are all made like crap now unless you pay many hundreds of dollars for a all steel/brass unit.
I used to photograph the Chicago Faucet catalogues years back, they were made like tanks but the price tags reflected the high cost. I wish I had stock piled some of those when I had the chance.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Delta will send free parts for anything you have of theirs. I’ve replaced a lot of cartridges over the years for drips. They never question it. They even sent me a new handle when the one I had stripped out.

That said, expansion tank and softener help. I’m on city water, but soften to prevent water spots and calcium build up in your system. May also check your expansion tank if you have one. They may be required by code, but I’ve met several “plumbers” that didn’t know how to set the pressure properly. It’s odd that your adjustability goes unless one side is plugging up in the cartridge somehow?

Posts: 345 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
Funny, I thought they were valves. At least they were when I was kid. So I wondered if there was a difference. It led me to this

http://starcraftcustombuilders...ources.faucets1b.htm

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by absolut18:
Delta will send free parts for anything you have of theirs. I’ve replaced a lot of cartridges over the years for drips. They never question it. They even sent me a new handle when the one I had stripped out.

This, ask for several so you'll have a spare. Phister will do the same. That said, I've gone to all Kohler fixtures. Quite a bit more expensive but they are built like a tank.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Guess I will test the water pressure and shoot Delta an email and see if they’ll send me something. The cartridges are like $50.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Delta said they would sell me a cartridge at a discount and told me how to flush the line before putting in the cartridge.
Guess I’ll give it one more go.

————————————————

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
What'd your PSI end up being?

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
I've never replaced a cartridge that I can remember, unless the handle stem or threads were boogered up. I've always just replaced the springs and seals. Delta is my go-to brand primarily for the ease of maintenance.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
What'd your PSI end up being?

We just broke free from the ice, snow, and freezing temps. Plan to get a gauge and check this weekend.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
About 15 years ago I converted a small bedroom, directly off our master bedroom, into a bathroom. I built-in the shower and installed a Delta shower faucet and Delta sink faucet. About 5 years in the shower temperature began to fluctuate wildly and I replaced the entire valve with another similar Delta unit. A year or two ago the valve wouldn't fully shut off, and I replaced just the cartridge.

It is common for shower faucets today to have a "scald-guard" feature, which automatically adjusts the temp down if the cold water supply gets temporarily reduced, such as a toilet being flushed on an adjacent supply line. I'm pretty sure the valve monitors pressure changes on both the hot and cold supply sides, as a means to adjust the temp adjustments. As suggested, it would be helpful to check the pressures.

In the case of our first failed valve, I assumed that something in the valve was interfering with its ability to maintain constant temp.

A few months ago the sink faucets started to drip, so I had to replace the cartridges on that as well. We are on city water, and use a water softener as well.

Good luck.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post