SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Explain the meme thread
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 36

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Explain the meme thread Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post

OK. Are the bearded women being cheated on, or are they also doing the cheating?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Neither, hence the meme.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Now, I'm curious. Do we really need a thread to explain memes? Really? I find this silly. If it's that complex, maybe we don't need a meme thread.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Do we really need a thread to explain memes?
Maybe not need, but it's helpful to some of us (that certainly includes me!) who are a bit slow on grasping subtle humor at times.

Both meme threads, the "funny" and the "political," specifically prohibit questions or discussions, so it's nice to have someplace to ask or discuss. I think it's a good thing.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
It's a good way for us to discuss them, too.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Report This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I agree with V-Tail. There is a wide range of ages and experiences among the membership so some memes are obvious to some and utterly confusing to others. Given my advanced age I seem to routinely fall into the later category which makes this explanation thread a blessing. Para please don't kill it!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Report This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
It does seem to help to keep the discussion out of the threads with the images. I don't know if that's a good thing or not, but it seems like people are going to ask questions one place or another.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
How many threads do we have which require their own support thread?

How many?

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
As far as I know, the two meme threads are the only ones that specifically prohibit questions and discussions. The meme threads have been locked in the past, because this rule was not followed (I believe that I am one of the guilty parties).

If anyone has a question or a comment on a meme, it has to be in a separate thread. I am not aware of this situation in any thread other than the two meme threads, so as far as I know, they are unique in that respect.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Not that anyone asked Big Grin ,but I like the current arrangement. You can cruise the meme thread without a bunch of quotes and bullshit. Discussions and explanations are relegated to the support thread.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Report This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Maybe most everyone finally knows the rules well enough to not get into discussions in the meme threads? If you don't understand a meme, ask, get an answer, and move on? I'm not optimistic it won't devolve into discussions, but understand Para's frustration with having a page-one thread dedicated to activity that was forbidden in the other threads. Doing away with the explanation thread and allowing explanations in the meme threads at least removes one of the three threads.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I support Explain the meme thread.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I admit that I get 95% of the Meme's posted, but there have been a few that I didn't get as I just didn't have the frame of reference.

And.... I sheepishly admit that.... I didn't get the Far Side "no punchline" one at first.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I would not have started the thread if I hadn't seen a need for it. I didn't expect it to garner much use by others, though. Apparently some others here also think it's useful.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
A discussion forum trying to justify having a discussion about a forum of memes we aren't allowed to discuss. Razz

Just another reason why this is the coolest place on the internets.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Report This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Before anyone asks about Rightwire's baseball meme:

I've seen this routine a dozen times and I still laugh my butt off. It's absolutely brilliant.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Report This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
A discussion forum trying to justify having a discussion about a forum of memes we aren't allowed to discuss. Razz

Just another reason why this is the coolest place on the internets.

This needs its own meme.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Report This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Okay, egregore has me stumped with his two posts of today (Mar 21) on page 208. WTH?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Report This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Okay, egregore has me stumped with his two posts of today (Mar 21) on page 208. WTH?

You're not alone.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Report This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it's just a silly picture, guys.

The second one should be easy if you've seen the wizard of oz.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Report This Post