SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I bought Liquid Good today. AKA Toyota Transfer Gear Oil LF 75w — $85 a quart!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I bought Liquid Good today. AKA Toyota Transfer Gear Oil LF 75w — $85 a quart!! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I am very well acquainted with this oil and the new transfer case. I was the one who originally analyzed an unused sample of this oil and posted it on bobistheoilguy.com.

This is a very special oil with a very unusual additive package. I researched this extensively.

If you use 75W-90 you will have slow, delayed, or troublesome engagement in cold weather. At operating temperature, 75W-90 is almost 300% thicker than the OEM oil.

You only need about two quarts to change the transfer case. Do yourself a favor and spring for the OEM fluid for this requirement. It only needs changing about every 30K miles anyway.

Also, a word to the wise: Most Toyota dealers will still use 75W-90. Don’t let them! Insist on the OEM fluid!

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
^^^ With the Ravenol 75w MTF-3 fluid, there are no engagement problems. I agree with you though on the 75w-90 Toyota fluid. Many dealers use that instead of the Toyota LF and it is too thick for the transfer case and should only be used in the front and rear differentials.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is a very special oil with a very unusual additive package. I researched this extensively.

Interesting.

I know nothing about this Toyota Transfer Gear Oil.
I do know Toyota sells their own branded fluids and recommends that you to use them. For example, the Toyota WS transmission fluid. It's expensive but I have found reasonable substitutions.

Apparently not for this one though.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24116 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
FYSA:
- That can should be 1 Liter (not 1 Quart)... Double check the manual... My Tacoma manual says capacity is 1.1 Qt... 1L = 1.1 Qt. (You should be able to return the extra one)
- +1 on what the other said, I would not risk using anything other than the factory lube
- Replacement is easy... warm up transfer case, clean outside of bolts, remove fill bolt first, remove drain bolt second, wait 5 minute for it to drain, replace drain bolt and use new washer. Here is my life hack:
- Go to the Tree or Dollar store, whatever it is you have around your house. Get one of those clear Katsup bottles, cut the tip off and attach about a foot worth of clear plastic tubing from the hardware store to it. Fill the bottle and squeeze the fluid in the fill hole. Takes 1-2 refills of the bottle to do it. The 1L can should be exactly enough to get it in specs.

FWIW: I use Motul Gear 300 in the diffs, FOMOCO transmission lube in the MT and The OEM Toyota lube in the TC

Posts: 503 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
Just an fyi, your parts department will almost always cut the price for you if you ask and when you do brakes you want to get the hardware kit too.

What is included in the hardware kit?
I buy Hawk brakes.

quote:
Originally posted by Speedbird:
FYSA:
- That can should be 1 Liter (not 1 Quart)... Double check the manual... My Tacoma manual says capacity is 1.1 Qt... 1L = 1.1 Qt. (You should be able to return the extra one)
- +1 on what the other said, I would not risk using anything other than the factory lube
- Replacement is easy... warm up transfer case, clean outside of bolts, remove fill bolt first, remove drain bolt second, wait 5 minute for it to drain, replace drain bolt and use new washer. Here is my life hack:
- Go to the Tree or Dollar store, whatever it is you have around your house. Get one of those clear Katsup bottles, cut the tip off and attach about a foot worth of clear plastic tubing from the hardware store to it. Fill the bottle and squeeze the fluid in the fill hole. Takes 1-2 refills of the bottle to do it. The 1L can should be exactly enough to get it in specs.

FWIW: I use Motul Gear 300 in the diffs, FOMOCO transmission lube in the MT and The OEM Toyota lube in the TC

You are correct on the Liter and that is what I meant.
The Tundra TC calls for 1.6 quarts which is 1.5 liters.
Thanks for the Ketchup bottle tip.

The oil, transfer case, front, and rear diffs are easy to change.
The transmission is a bit more tricky so I’ll likely take it to the transmission shop for that.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
The hardware kit is new pins and retainers, it's around 8 or 10 bucks. By the time you beat the old pins out they probably won't be good to reuse.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BDA220
posted Hide Post
I suspect that one of the key characteristics of this lube is low foaming. I have an AWD Volvo that requires a low-foam lube in the angle gear.
I buy the Volvo spec lube for that, because replacement is $$$$

"Strange days have found us, strange days have tracked us down." JM

Posts: 807 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
It hurt me to pay $60 for a gallon of GL4 gear oil last week. This is a whole 'tother ballpark.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately the response from your dealer is not unusual. It is amazing how frequently they get recommendations for correct fluids completely wrong. Most dealers buy bulk products in 55 gallon drums to maximize profit and call it a day. Not only is the oil cheaper to buy this way, they have it piped to every tech bay to save time. No wasted time visiting the parts counter and opening and pouring from individual containers. I'm convinced that may be where some of their recommendations originate from, and when confronted, many simply feign ignorance, when it's really a combination of apathy and profit motive.

For instance, I purchased a used 2013 Tundra a couple of years ago that came with complete service records, and right on the receipt it states the Toyota dealer used 75W-140 in the differentials and TC along with some MOC additive as an up sell. That is not correct, and calling several other dealerships out of curiosity to gauge the extent of the issue revealed it's more common that you can believe. Now, even if a dealership tells me they're putting in the correct stuff, I'm highly skeptical.

BTW, transmission fluid is pretty dear on Tundras as well, and available nowhere else.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, the WS ATF and Toyota engine oils are nothing special, and there are plenty of third party vendors that make suitable oils. I use Amsoil’s fluid in the transmission, as an example. But I called both Amsoil and Redline about the transfer case fluid. Neither vendor had anything in their product line they would recommend.

I seriously doubt your transfer case would “blow up” or fail if you put 75W-90 in it, but there is no question - the OEM fluid is a lot different.

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another point - Friday I took my daughter’s 2010 Camry to the dealer to be serviced (She lives far from my home so I didn’t have access to my tools and could not do it myself). They asked me if the power steering fluid had ever been changed. I said yes, but it was over 5 years ago when she was still living at home with me.

They asked what kind of fluid I used. I told them Mobil 1 Dexron III ATF. They tried to point out they weren’t sure if that type of fluid was acceptable. I told them since 1990, I have owned 11 different Toyota models and two Lexuses, and EVERY ONE specifies Dexron II or III ATF for the power steering fluid.

Believe me, if you are serious about doing your own auto maintenance like I am, you probably already know more about the maintenance requirements than the majority of people at the dealership.

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
^^^ Actually, Toyota’s engine oils have a lot more Molybdenum, an anti wear additive. It is made by ExxonMobil and is essentially Mobil 1 with the added Moly. I don’t know about the WS fluid though. I’ve never seen an analysis of that.

———————————————

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
^^^ Actually, Toyota’s engine oils have a lot more Molybdenum, an anti wear additive. It is made by ExxonMobil and is essentially Mobil 1 with the added Moly. I don’t know about the WS fluid though. I’ve never seen an analysis of that.

I was planning on using Shell Rotella 0w-20 Full Synthetic with a Toyota brand filter. I do a lot of gravel and dusty driving do you think the TRD filter would be beneficial or if there would be a better oil to use?

————————————————

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Rotella is a good oil, but I would just stick with the factory Toyota filter and not do the 10,000 mile oil changes. The filters are 5/$25 on Amazon. If it’s going off-road a lot I wouldn’t go over 5-6k miles between changes. Auto Zone usually has clearance motor oil sales on various synthetics (Rotella Gas Truck and others) every October or November and that oil can be had for 2 bucks a quart. I always stock up for a full year. That’s about 90 quarts for me. Smile

———————————————

The Constable
posted Hide Post
Hondas rear diff fluid is similar ; "special and expensive". Same for certain years and model Porsche trans/diff fluids.

This has been going on for many years.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Hondas rear diff fluid is similar ; "special and expensive".

Now that is one fluid (Honda Dual Pump Fluid) you don’t want to substitute for. Some of the CRV rear differentials hold 1.2 bottles and that differential will chatter with any other fluid. That’s a totally different animal than the Tundra transfer case.

———————————————

Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Considering the change frequency I would have most likely bought the Toyota fluid too, but at that price I would have been tempted to just use the Redline MT-LV 70/75.

I just went through my F150 and used Redline for the differentials (75-140 rear, 75-90 front), and was going to use the XL-12 Motorcraft Transfer Case Fluid. Ford said they no longer spec that and now call out Motorcraft Mercon LV ATF. Pretty cheap at $8 a quart.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rotella is a good oil, but I would just stick with the factory Toyota filter and not do the 10,000 mile oil changes. The filters are 5/$25 on Amazon. If it’s going off-road a lot I wouldn’t go over 5-6k miles between changes. Auto Zone usually has clearance motor oil sales on various synthetics (Rotella Gas Truck and others) every October or November and that oil can be had for 2 bucks a quart. I always stock up for a full year. That’s about 90 quarts for me. Smile

5k engine oil and 50k all the others is my plan.

————————————————

The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Hondas rear diff fluid is similar ; "special and expensive".

Now that is one fluid (Honda Dual Pump Fluid) you don’t want to substitute for. Some of the CRV rear differentials hold 1.2 bottles and that differential will chatter with any other fluid. That’s a totally different animal than the Tundra transfer case.

Many years back I bought a NICE 65 small block Corvette for a VERY reasonable price. The Sellr freely admitted it had rear end issues, chattered on tight corners, etc. He had changed the rear diff fluid when he restored the car.

I took a gamble that he didn't add the small bottle of GM positraction additive to the 90wt gear fluid and bought the car.

Added the couple of ounces of additive, drove it a bit and no chatter!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
^^^ That reminds me of a friend that bought a 1978 Corvette off a guy around 1989. The transmission was slipping and the owner was honest about it and said he didn’t know what was wrong with it. Like you he got the car cheap because of the ‘problem’. My friend got it home and added I don’t know how many quarts of transmission fluid to it and it drove fine. Crazy.

———————————————