SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stupid things you have seen people do
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stupid things you have seen people do Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I was there a few minutes after the fact on both of these.

Hot water cleans better than cold water so it only seems right that hot gasoline cleans better that cold gasoline. So you pour it in an oil changing pan and put it on the stove and heat it up. A few hours later the patient dies of third degree burns.

Kind of in the same note, the guys who were cleaning the garage floor with gasoline that had the space heater in the garage with them only ended up about 30 feet from the garage door after it exploded.

Posts: 2127 | Location: Tacoma, Wa. | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Work in a car dealership sometime. Drop cars off a lift, didn't set the arms right. Happens. Drive through a door, oops, forgot to pump the brakes after doing a brake job. Forgot to put oil in engine, yep. Seen it all over 47 years in those places.

We had a customer drive through an open door, problem was that it was the door to the alignment pit. OOPS, car down.

A friend did an engine job on a small block Chevy, ran it for fifteen minutes trying to figure out why the rockers were not getting oil. Probably a good reason was that he forgot the intermediate oil pump drive shaft. Well, the bearings were well sized to the crankshaft after that..... Wink

Worked at a gas station, owner came out of his office and said "who put oil in the Buick?" Two guys (not me!) answered "I did." Yep, ten quarts in a five quart engine. Same gas station, I stopped in on my way to my girlfriend's house (I was 17) and the guy working asked me to help him bleed the brakes. Well, this guy was not to slick, the owner would not let him work on cars but apparently he talked his way into doing an exhaust replacement. 64 T-Bird, he hit a brake line with a hammer accidently. So he cut the line and put a piece of rubber fuel line in to repair it!

I saw that and decided to have some fun. Had him lower the car, I started it up and got the booster charged up, told him to raise the car with me in it. Told him to stand back and stomped on the brake pedal with both feet. Blew that hose right off spraying brake fluid all over the floor. To which he said "Why's you do that?"

I left the station then, told him to have fun cleaning it up and that he better call the boss as this car was going nowhere that evening. About midnight I passed the station, the boss's car was there, he and the "mechanic" were in the bay working on the brakes. Imagine that!

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was at the local outdoor range when 4 blacks showed up with a brand new pistol grip shotgun. They had a huge box to use as a target. Each of them shot the gun from the hip and no one hit the box, so one guy took the gun held it in front of his face so he could aim, pulled the trigger, smashed his nose, blood everywhere. I hear him say I'm takin that gun back something is wrong with it. I couldn't hit a thing for a while, laughing too hard.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://wgntv.com/2017/03/21/ma...onably-stupid-stunt/

Leave it to the Canadians. I believe this was first done by a guy named Larry in the United States several years ago. He got a runner up Darwin award. I draw the line when it has no consideration for others.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwright1951:
Was at the local outdoor range when 4 blacks showed up with a brand new pistol grip shotgun. They had a huge box to use as a target. Each of them shot the gun from the hip and no one hit the box, so one guy took the gun held it in front of his face so he could aim, pulled the trigger, smashed his nose, blood everywhere. I hear him say I'm takin that gun back something is wrong with it. I couldn't hit a thing for a while, laughing too hard.

Reminds me of the time at the Hanau Germany Rod and Gun club. I was friends with the guy running it and was talking with him when 2 black guys came in to pick up the 357 Highway Patrolman they had purchased. They did the paper, and wanted to know if the club had ammo.

Yup! How much do you want. 2 guys, 2 pistols so they wanted a couple boxes each.

Then they wanted to know if there was a range where they could learn to shoot those pistols.

Yup!

They went out, were gone about 10 minutes, or so. Came back in, wanted to return the pistols. One of them was wearing about a 4 inch gash across the bridge of his nose.

I had suggested to the NCO working there that if I waited a few minutes I could probably get a good deal on the 2 pistols.

Could have bought them, but decided that the one I already had was enough, and couldn't justify the expense to my banker (aka wife.

Also watched an army captain deck a PFC for sweeping a platoon with a loaded rifle on the range.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
One winter morning, one of my coworkers walks in carrying a hand held propane torch. I asked him what he needed the torch for.

He said the gas line from the tank to the engine on his car was frozen and he was using the torch to thaw it. Eek

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I asked a burger king employee to cut my big mack in half. Confusion and silent hilarity ensued. It caused a sort of panic on the part of multiple employees. That's the last time I ever asked for any "special handling" at a fast food establishment. I can't imagine paying 15/hour for talent like that.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
The guy across the street and uphill from me jump started his car while in gear. Reverse gear of course. Six months after I closed on my house. Hilarity ensued when the sheriff's department and the state highway patrol had to decide how to handle the call. It cost the neighbor's insurance company a new porch ... brick work, cement deck, railings, and all.

Sad thing is, that cement replacement deck is the best cement used for this house.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
I asked a burger king employee to cut my big mack in half. Confusion and silent hilarity ensued. It caused a sort of panic on the part of multiple employees. That's the last time I ever asked for any "special handling" at a fast food establishment. I can't imagine paying 15/hour for talent like that.

Were they confused because you wanted it cut in half, or because Burger King doesn't sell Big Macs?

Wink

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:

Were they confused because you wanted it cut in half, or because Burger King doesn't sell Big Macs?

Wink
That's a whopper of a story! MG

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Another car dealership story.

1972 when I-96 through Livonia, Redford and Detroit was being built the Michigan State Highway Department brought one of their surveyors trucks into the dealership for work. A three door Suburban, 3/4 ton 4wd with diamond plate front and rear bumpers and dual winches. Loaded with equipment in the back.Full to the rooftop.

Dealership was old, built twenty years previous and maintenance was not a strong point there. Hoists leaked, you definitely locked them in the up position.

Two post hoist, front and rear. Somebody left this Suburban up in the air that night. Those hoists had no safety locks. Front post loses pressure, rear did not. So upon opening the shop the next morning the Suburban is up in the back, bumper on the ground in the front and leaning over into the side of a 68 Chevy van next to it.

Service (Mis)Manager decided that he would not do the right and safe thing and call for the hoist repair company or to call for a wrecker to lift the back end. His "brilliant" idea was to have someone lower the rear post while having people in the shop grab on the rear bumper to stabilize (yeah right) the truck as it is lowering.

All the techs are standing around going nowhere near this disaster unfolding. Service Manager then decided to lead by example. None of his people, even the porters are staying away. He then yells out to me in the Parts Department to "give him a hand" to which I answered for him to engage in a act with himself that was anatomically impossible but given my status of the crazy hippie in the parts department was expected by all in attendance.

After my negative response in conjunction with all the service employees ignoring him he decided that it would be more prudent to call for a wrecker......as none of us had any desire to be flattened by an overweight, unsupported and sliding on a hoist post Suburban.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Recently, burn up the clutch on a 2015 Nissan Versa with 35,000 miles on it. Nobody said anything, but from the mud and scrapes on the bottom, the rocks in the cross member and the abrasion on the front tires, I'd say it was driven into a ditch or got "high-centered" and he tried to "rock" it out. Another incident involved a 2005 Chevy Aveo (Daewoo-built shitbox). The clutch pressure plate was broken into six pieces and the transmission also destroyed. Again, nobody copped to it, but this is what happens with repeated - or even just one - full-throttle clutch dumps. In a Chevy Aveo. Roll Eyes

I may have told this before, but a guy brought me an 80's Chevy truck to charge the A/C. The metal liquid line (condenser to evaporator) had been broken and he "repaired" it with a piece of fuel line and hose clamps. I took one look at that and said, "I can't charge this. That line is under 200 psi of pressure and hot when the system operates." Dude was pissed. He slammed the hood down, got in and burned rubber backing out of the bay and all the way to the street.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
One winter morning, one of my coworkers walks in carrying a hand held propane torch. I asked him what he needed the torch for.

He said the gas line from the tank to the engine on his car was frozen and he was using the torch to thaw it. Eek

One very, very cold winter here someone had the fuel line of his car freeze up, he decided to thaw it out by siphoning some gas from the tank, heat it up and put back in the gas tank. The problem with this was that he attempted to do this by heating it in a saucepan on his stove. Somewhat miraculously he only burned up his kitchen.

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post