SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stupid things you have seen people do
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stupid things you have seen people do Login/Join 
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I kept hearing a crying dog. It was late night summer after dark. Walked over to neighbors. Heard it coming from under car. The neighbor lady had hit a dog about a mile from home and drove home with dog trapped under car. They are staunchly anti gun. But they wanted me to crawl under car and shoot it. It was a few feet from their house. I refused. What could go wrong? They called Police, they wouldn't do it either. By the time I got up the next morning the fire dept must have been there and gotten the dog out, dead. What a sickening feeling that night. And the lady didn't show much remorse. Claimed she couldn't tell anything was wrong when she hit it.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
It involved clergy, witnesses, and either a bride or groom the person should have passed on.

I've seen it several times.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Just drive on I4 in central Florida. It will only take a few minutes.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bar 1/2 block away from the police station allowed people to make stupid decisions within walking distance of jail.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That Happens to famous people too: https://www.theguardian.com/fi...rand-cherokee-recall

quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
I, uhm... knew a guy once who had a Pontiac T-1000 (think Pontiac Chevette) manual, and he arrived home one night to visit his family, parked the car on "level" ground, forgot the emergency brake was busted, and when he closed the door it jarred the car into beginning a slow roll downhill (i.e., toward the house). This is in pitch black at around 1 am, yet the imbecile decides that he can just get in front of the car (since it's small, ya dig?) and stop it. Car gets momentum, guy trips over the crossties that make up the garden right next to the house, and the car catches the guy's leg between the front (metal, back in the day) bumper and the brick chimney of the house, and bounces off hard enough to clear the crossties again before coming to a rest.

So, basically, guy hit himself with his own car, unassisted. That takes skill, my friends.

Posts: 430 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
Did t see this one but worth honorable mention, butt-chugging beer at UT in Knoxville. I just don't under, I can't..
<snip>

Alcoholics often do this because their esophagus is eroded/about ready to hemorrhage (many die of this particular condition - more than you'd think). Thusly, the only other good way to catch a buzz is the ethyl alcohol enema (absorption via the colon's blood supply).

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The list is long. So very long. Especially things seen in a professional capacity.

But just from this morning:

Punch their mother in the face, in front of 4 officers. Then try to fight the 4 officers who are subsequently attempting to take them into custody for punching their mother.

And a personal favorite from several years ago:

Fall through the ceiling while trying to hide from the police in the attic, but forgetting to walk on the joists. And managing to rack themselves square in the nuts on the way down with the joist they had been straddling. Resulting in a big burly guy, covered in insulation and drywall, writhing around cupping his balls while wailing like a banshee.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
A few come to mind, but the one that still has me shaking my head, was when I was pumping gas into my car and at the pump ahead of me a woman was filling a pick-up. It was a Ram with the turbo diesel and she was pumping gas into it. I ran up to her and told her to stop pumping. She looked me like I had 2 heads and kept on pumping. I sternly told her she was filling a diesel truck with gasoline. Picture a hand wave over the top of her head. She didn't get it. Well the pump auto stopped and the tank was full. She went on to explain that the truck was her husbands and that it was almost empty and she wanted to surprise him by filling it for him. Oh, he'll be surprised all right.

You're probably thinking that is the end of the story, but oh no, you'd be wrong on that assumption. I explained to her that there was enough diesel in the fuel line and the fuel pump to get to the parking area at the gas station and to call her husband and let him know what happened so he could have it towed to service center to have the tank and fuel system drain and flushed. Picture the hand waving over her head again. She told me they only lived about 15 miles away and she was just going to drive home and let her husband decide what to do and she jumped into the truck and drove off. Eek Can you just imagine the conversation that took place over dinner that night at their house. Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Voting for Hillary Clinton or crying when she did not get elected . . . you said stupid things you've seen people do.

Posts: 1548 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Nothing comes to mind.

HA! I bet. Smile

It is fun to set up a lawn chair and crack a beer next to a boat launch on a sunny Sat.

Constant entertainment. At least one or two will forget to install the drain plug.

It's something you only do once. Luckily I've gotten it out of the way. I caught it immediately at least.

I also did it once, and I realized it quickly.
The entertainment comes from those that realize it 20-50 yards away from the launch.
When we go out for King Salmon at 4AM on the Wash or Vancouver coasts, we are back with our limits by breakfast time. That gives us time to watch the boat-launch before our nap.

Then we kill the late afternoon going after Halibut.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
In the early 90s I worked in a high-rise office building that housed the regional office for USSS. Clinton was coming to town for a fundraiser so counter snipers with the uniformed branch came in with the advance team. The first guy got out of his taxi grabbed his rifle case from the trunk and walked right into the revolving door. He promptly got somewhat stuck when his rifle case got wedged in the door because he failed to lift it vertical.

Another incident involved building maintenance being "proactive" in bringing a BB gun in to dispose of some nuisance pigeons roosting between the parking garage and the building. Needless to say someone with USSS saw them and reported a sniper in the garage...the fun ensued. Surprisingly building management never found out about that incident.

Same building...we had the sewer line begin to backup in the basement. Maintenance went down to check on the sewage lift pump. As it turned out the float valve had gotten stuck. The maintenance guy was leaning directly over the pit when he touched the float rod which immediately came free play cutting on the pump which promptly showered him with sewage.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1905 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
ou're probably thinking that is the end of the story, but oh no, you'd be wrong on that assumption. I explained to her that there was enough diesel in the fuel line and the fuel pump to get to the parking area at the gas station and to call her husband and let him know what happened so he could have it towed to service center to have the tank and fuel system drain and flushed. Picture the hand waving over her head again. She told me they only lived about 15 miles away and she was just going to drive home and let her husband decide what to do and she jumped into the truck and drove off. Can you just imagine the conversation that took place over dinner that night at their house.

Yeah she probably said Diesel pump was out and some guy said it was ok to fill it with regular gasoline. Then gave him your description. LOL

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thought I would add this one from my factory days. Foreman told the guy to bring the 72 inch squeegee up to the fifth floor from the basement. He did not take the freight elevator, thinking the manlift would be faster. Yeah the hole was not big enough. He did not fall off but the squeegee was torn apart.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
I once saw my dad try to trim the top of a stump with a lawnmower.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A high school chum decided to rebuild the starter on his MB 220D. Diesel motor starters in those days weighed close to 100lbs. All steel and no reduction gears.

Car was jacked up on stands and he unbolted the starter which promptly fell onto him knocking the wind out of him.

We pulled him out from under the car and rolled the starter off him.

Damn thing was heavy.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At work one afternoon. Was told to help a guy working on a machine. I went down there and saw what he was doing was unsafe. I tactfully ask him if I could do that and he could do one of the other things that needed to be done. He was cutting some metal with a air cutoff tool. He was using one hand and the tool kept jerking out of control. He stopped looked at me and told me, This is not the first time I have used one of these. Then the tool jerked away when he started again and he raked it right across his other wrist, cutting the heck out of himself. I ended up finishing it up. He normally was a good worker.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Nothing comes to mind.

HA! I bet. Smile

It is fun to set up a lawn chair and crack a beer next to a boat launch on a sunny Sat.

Constant entertainment. At least one or two will forget to install the drain plug.

It's something you only do once. Luckily I've gotten it out of the way. I caught it immediately at least.

I also did it once, and I realized it quickly.
The entertainment comes from those that realize it 20-50 yards away from the launch.
When we go out for King Salmon at 4AM on the Wash or Vancouver coasts, we are back with our limits by breakfast time. That gives us time to watch the boat-launch before our nap.

Then we kill the late afternoon going after Halibut.

This brings back fond memories. My wife was born and raised in Port Angeles Wa. and all of her family lived there. We would take the boat with us every time we went to visit. 3-4 times a year. My wife didn't like to go out on the straits so I would go by myself. I'd launch at an hour or so before sun up, make a run to 8 mile buoy and cut bait till light. I always came back with a limit of salmon, Coho or Chinook (king) depending on what was running at the time. I would then go to a reef off of Crescent Beach and jig for bottom fish, all before lunch time. Great times. I miss it a lot.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoy the tourists here in the Yoop:
1- We have traffic circles. Endless fun.
2- Overheard at our 4th of July parade: "damn its cold! Is it going to snow"?
3- Wearing short shorts, flip flops and halter tops on our hiking trails, which are populated with skeeters the size of sparrows.
And about this time of year, a handful of idiots will climb out onto the blocks of ice (usually the size of a small house) thrown up next to shore by Lake Superior. Amazingly stupid!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
Did t see this one but worth honorable mention, butt-chugging beer at UT in Knoxville. I just don't under, I can't..
<snip>

Alcoholics often do this because their esophagus is eroded/about ready to hemorrhage (many die of this particular condition - more than you'd think). Thusly, the only other good way to catch a buzz is the ethyl alcohol enema (absorption via the colon's blood supply).

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post