SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Flagpole lighting and flag questions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flagpole lighting and flag questions Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
As promised...

Thanks Boss!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
What does your wife have against flag poles?

Yeah, that is a bit odd.

My wife's from Europe. They don't fly flags in front of their homes over there like we do here. Much less put up flagpoles to do so.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve495:
I stopped messing around with solutions that kept burning out, including outdoor halogen setups.

Got this ... RAB HBLED13A
https://www.rabweb.com/product.php?product=HBLED13A

I also purchased a landscape square pole that allows you to mount the light on top, and it has a space for an outlet on the side, plus I put the light sensor on the side to so it turns on and off the light at dusk/dawn.

Installed in October 2015, and have not touched it since. Working well. The only maintenance is trimming the bushes around the light.

The halogen set up would burn out every three to four months.

RAB on a permapost is the way I'd go if it were mine. I just installed the big brother to yours at a carrabbas restaurant 3,000+ lumen Eek

They are the gold standard for outdoor lighting. They will require a 120v line though, as far as I know they don't make any LV bullets. Also very expensive.

Did you do one or multiple?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.harborfreight.com/...2Cf&p=2&q=flag+light

check out the 25% off coupon on the home page, for the 4th only , though

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^That will work, but it violates the electrical code. That is temporary lighting. Extension cords are not to be used as permanent wiring, and the timer is not waterproof.

I hope it's at least plugged into a GFI protected circuit.

Sorry I can't help myself. It's my job to spot these types of things.

Is there an electrical code for plugging cords into an outlet? If it is temporary (and it is) then the whole "extension cord as permanent" issue is irrelevant no?

Yes, plugged into GFCI outlet on my porch. No the strip isn't "waterproof", but pretty darn water resistant. It has been used for several Christmas's in the front yard with no protection in the great Pacific Northwet WA. And has been in use for the past 6 months for the flag. Currently it does receive some protection from the porch overhang.

Not being to code is not automatically unsafe or dangerous. I know enough about electrical to know what will work and what is going to cause an actual problem. The spot is LED and is only 16w. GFCI and that is the only thing on that circuit.

You'd probably have a seizure if I told you how I get power to my shed.... Cool

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by steve495:
I stopped messing around with solutions that kept burning out, including outdoor halogen setups.

Got this ... RAB HBLED13A
https://www.rabweb.com/product.php?product=HBLED13A

I also purchased a landscape square pole that allows you to mount the light on top, and it has a space for an outlet on the side, plus I put the light sensor on the side to so it turns on and off the light at dusk/dawn.

Installed in October 2015, and have not touched it since. Working well. The only maintenance is trimming the bushes around the light.

The halogen set up would burn out every three to four months.

RAB on a permapost is the way I'd go if it were mine. I just installed the big brother to yours at a carrabbas restaurant 3,000+ lumen Eek

They are the gold standard for outdoor lighting. They will require a 120v line though, as far as I know they don't make any LV bullets. Also very expensive.

Did you do one or multiple?

120V, only one light which is fine. 120 run underground properly to the flag. I've also got a high quality fiberglass pole installed, which was MUCH better than the extender pole I had before. After we installed it, the other three houses on our corner did pretty much the same thing.

Yes, I need to cut back the bushes straight away.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post