SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Flagpole lighting and flag questions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flagpole lighting and flag questions Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
Best way to light a flag on a pole?

Put a 20 foot flagpole up and a 3x5 American flag.
I was planning on one of those solar, top of the pole pancake lights but I am afraid you will see glare from the light bulbs when looking toward the flag. Like attached photo.

Same problem of glare from the lights if I use up pointing lights on the ground. I also see mid pole lights but again the same issue, maybe.

I just want a modestly lit flag with the light source mostly hidden or at least no direct view of the light. I'm thinking maybe ground lights with an added PVC pipe sleeve over it painted flat black.

I can run low voltage out there if needed... but solar would be nice and easy.

Also, I want to add a state, or other flag, under the 3x5. Hardware already in place.
What generally looks best, bottom flag same size as top one or a smaller one, maybe 2x3?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
That looks like a flying saucer.

I went round and round with some of our local USPS about how they displayed our flag at night.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I use a wall-mounted 45° pole, with 2 lights on it from either side. One is on a timer and the other comes on at dark. Those lights are visible from the street, but I can't do better.

For a vertical pole, I think lights at the bottom are probably best (that's the way most commercial Flags are lit); perhaps a light some feet away from the pole and aimed up from near the traffic area? (Facing away from traffic)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Best way to light a flag on a pole?

Put a 20 foot flagpole up and a 3x5 American flag.
I was planning on one of those solar, top of the pole pancake lights but I am afraid you will see glare from the light bulbs when looking toward the flag. Like attached photo.

Same problem of glare from the lights if I use up pointing lights on the ground. I also see mid pole lights but again the same issue, maybe.

I just want a modestly lit flag with the light source mostly hidden or at least no direct view of the light. I'm thinking maybe ground lights with an added PVC pipe sleeve over it painted flat black.

I can run low voltage out there if needed... but solar would be nice and easy.

Also, I want to add a state, or other flag, under the 3x5. Hardware already in place.
What generally looks best, bottom flag same size as top one or a smaller one, maybe 2x3?

Fergedaboudit not nearly enough light!
Hard wire a ground up led SPOT light w/ photo sensor everything else is a waste of time and money.

That Walmart light same thing NOT going to illuminate your flag.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Also a 20' pole should use a 4x6' and 3x5''s under that....

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
You need either hooded bullet lights or in ground lights. If you want it to look "professional" you need three.

You will definitely see the light source with bullets, the hoods are not big enough to block it completely, and they are curved such that depending on viewing angle it can be quite bright.

The best bet to accomplish what you want is either of the above with a ring of boxwoods around the base. This blocks the light source, lights flag pole and the inner portion of boxwoods (or similar bush). The inground ones produce a more muted light. The bullets are more concentrated. If you go this route, four lights may be better. This would require both LV wiring plus landscaping, so it is likely more than you want to spend, but is how the good looking commercial ones are done.

My neighbor has the mid pole mounted solar one above, I will try to remember to snap a picture tonight.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Good info coming!

The yard is completely dark at night, no streetlights. 3 1/2 Ac lot.
Don't want lights glaring if I have to look out to survey the perimeter LOL! Plus it just doesn't look good to me.

I can do Low voltage if needed. I was considering a round planter around the base anyway so LV ground lights in the planter sounds like the best solution so far.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Here is the neighbors mid pole mounted solar thing. He's using two of them plus he has multiple coach lights on the front of his house. The picture shows more light than what is actually there to human eye. I would not be happy with them if I bought them. Maybe his are cheaper/weaker than the above posted one, I don't know?

Once again this picture looks like way more light than it does in person.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Once the sun goes down I'll post up pics of what I have.

My pole is about 22' and I am currently using a single bulb holder on a stake in the yard with a weatherproof LED spot, plugged into a photocell controlled power strip. At some point I will probably move it up to the eve of my porch, but not a priority at this point.

Hits the flag perfect, lots of light and angled where there is no glare for anyone coming to the porch. Faces away from house, so no problem for looking out windows either.

The bulb holder was less than $5 and the bulb I believe was $16 or so.

I had one of those solar pole toppers, never really put out much light and in winter it wouldn't make it through the night. Only lasted about 14 months before it quit all together.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10930 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Speaking of flagpoles and lights...

cparktd, if you don't mind my piggy-backing on your thread, I'd like to ask a question about flagpoles?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Speaking of flagpoles and lights...

cparktd, if you don't mind my piggy-backing on your thread, I'd like to ask a question about flagpoles?

Sure!...

And thanks to the responders.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks, cparktd! So here's my flagpole question...

I've long-wanted a flagpole out front. My wife has always objected. So no flagpole. But... what about a flagpole that can easily be taken down when not in use? Say, a telescoping flagpole that slots into a "receiver" in the ground, much like a trailer hitch receiver? Maybe with a plug for the "receiver" to seal it against rain, snow, dirt, etc. when not in use?

Is there such a thing? Maybe even "relatively affordable?"

Something suitable for a 3x5 flag?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
My pole is aluminum sections about 4'8" long. I have one section buried and 5 more that are attached to it, total above ground about 24'.

I can lift the pole off the buried section to take it down for maintanence or whatever and just have the 2+ feet base post showing.

What does your wife have against flag poles?

Posts: 10930 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
What does your wife have against flag poles?

Yeah, that is a bit odd.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
As promised...

Untitled by Wayne Wilson, on Flickr

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
^^That will work, but it violates the electrical code. That is temporary lighting. Extension cords are not to be used as permanent wiring, and the timer is not waterproof.

I hope it's at least plugged into a GFI protected circuit.

Sorry I can't help myself. It's my job to spot these types of things.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
... what about a flagpole that can easily be taken down when not in use? Say, a telescoping flagpole that slots into a "receiver" in the ground,

Exactly what I got! It's cheap and lightweight, but if you want to spend more I'm sure there are better poles out there.

Mine is telescoping, came with a 3x5 flag and the ground sleeve. Just need a hole and a bag of concrete. Does not have a plug for the hole when the flag is down. I did add a layer of crushed stone in the bottom of the hole for drainage, No ropes and pulleys, must lower the pole to remove the flag. Rotating flag clips to help prevent wrapping up of the flags, but they are plastic.

Only time will tell how long and how well it will last but looks OK to me so far. I just put it up on Memorial Day. I try to not over tighten the twist locks or it may be hard to undo after a while in the weather.

I had a 20% off coupon so I think I got mine for ~$49 plus tax at Harbor Freight. Cheap enough to try just for the heck of it! Especially considering it came with a flag.

https://www.harborfreight.com/...flag-pole-62285.html

Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
I stopped messing around with solutions that kept burning out, including outdoor halogen setups.

Got this ... RAB HBLED13A
https://www.rabweb.com/product.php?product=HBLED13A

I also purchased a landscape square pole that allows you to mount the light on top, and it has a space for an outlet on the side, plus I put the light sensor on the side to so it turns on and off the light at dusk/dawn.

Installed in October 2015, and have not touched it since. Working well. The only maintenance is trimming the bushes around the light.

The halogen set up would burn out every three to four months.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4989 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
^^That will work, but it violates the electrical code. That is temporary lighting. Extension cords are not to be used as permanent wiring, and the timer is not waterproof.

I hope it's at least plugged into a GFI protected circuit.

Sorry I can't help myself. It's my job to spot these types of things.

Thanks for the reminder... My Father was a General Contractor and I did residential Plumb & Elec for 18 years, new Const. and service / repairs. But that was almost 30 years ago!

I'll probably go low voltage but it will be done right either way.