SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Church etiquette
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Church etiquette Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
Out of respect for both men I didn't want to mention the Obamas in either the Trump or Bush thread.

I can't remember the last time I was in a church but them having their feet where they do just seems wrong to me. Isn't that cushioned area just for kneeling ?

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Heathens wouldn't know that or respect it

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I went to a wedding for a fraternity brother years ago. I'm Jewish & know the deal. Another Jewish brother didn't & put his feet up. We ragged on him mercilessly about it. Big Grin

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The little kids like to sleep on those as well. When you sneak away from you mum into the back row. Very comfortable. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some folks have class, and others do not.....and money has nothing to do with it!!

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
Speaking of etiquette, I guess instead of worrying about foot placement, I would wonder why the current president and first lady opted not to recite the Apostle's Creed.

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't remember the last time I was in a church but them having their feet where they do just seems wrong to me. Isn't that cushioned area just for kneeling ?

Yes. It's a kneeler. It's for kneeling. It's also covered with a nice fabric which is made dirty by shoes.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
After observing those two pigs for the last 13 years, I believe what she is doing is more purposeful than careless.

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holger Danske:
Speaking of etiquette, I guess instead of worrying about foot placement, I would wonder why the current president and first lady opted not to recite the Apostle's Creed.

It’s entirely possible that they’re unfamiliar with it. Many churches don’t recite it.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Obama has never been one to worry about care for the furniture... or who would have to come after him and clean up.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
After observing those two pigs for the last 13 years, I believe what she is doing is more purposeful than careless.

You should be ashamed of yourself! The above statement is deeply and unfairly prejudicial against pigs.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Nor would Muslims.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
quote:

When I was Episcopalian, I would.

Now that I am a Oneness Apostolic Pentecostal, I don't.
That creed is not in the Bible.

The creed began as a Catholic trinity thing.
It's also known as the Nicean Creed.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31419 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Nor would Muslims.

^^^^^ Underrated joke of the day.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What would soncorn do?
Picture of soncorn
posted Hide Post
I can’t tell if his and/or her feet are actually touching it. Looks to me like each of them has their legs crossed and the feet are just look near it from the perspective of the photo.

She does appear to have a purse or something sitting on it underneath her foot.

Either way I think there are much bigger things to get worked up about.

Edited:
In the photo at the top of this page Melania’s shoe is clearly on it, hard to tell about the Obamas’.
https://www.news965.com/lifest...2tcdy3ZvbNCGKD89WyK/

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

Posts: 1387 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: October 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The creed began as a Catholic trinity thing.
It's also known as the Nicean Creed.

The Nicean Creed is kind of a longer version of the Apostle's Creed which came out of the First Council of Nicaea in 325.
We Catholics use both versions, interchangeably but not both in the same mass.

-rduckwor

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:

I wouldn’t know the Apostle’s Creed if it ran me over in the street. And I’ve been in church practically all my life. Just depends in which church you’ve been raised and what your beliefs are.

I see some in the Fake News media are making a big deal of that. WTF ever..... Roll Eyes

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Obama should be concerned with skirt chaser Slick Willie sitting next to his wife.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:

It’s entirely possible that they’re unfamiliar with it. Many churches don’t recite it.

I have never attended a funeral in which they were going recite a prayer (like that one) that they did not include it in the funeral program. I would be very surprised that it was not in this funeral program. Maybe not?

Also, if you do a quick google image search there are some shots showing Melania's foot on the rail. There are plenty of reasons to dislike presidents and former presidents, to me this is getting a bit nitpicking, IMHO.

First time I visited an Episcopal Church, they went to kneel I sat down, not knowing, and ran into the person's head behind me! Live and learn.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post