SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Church etiquette
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Church etiquette Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herkdriver:
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:
I have never been to a Christian church serve were the Apostles' Creed was not recited. It is the fundamental statement of what Christians believe.

You have never been to a Southern Baptist service, have you? No way we are going to profess belief in the Catholic church. Smile

My mom’s side of the family was all Southern Baptist and I spent a lot of time in their church. I felt more welcome there than I have any Catholic Church, and so I don’t feel correct in saying “We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church” so I don’t say it. Maybe I deserved to be doxxed and excommunicated. Roll Eyes

quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
quote:
Originally posted by Herkdriver:
quote:
I have never been to a Christian church serve were the Apostles' Creed was not recited. It is the fundamental statement of what Christians believe.

You have never been to a Southern Baptist service, have you? No way we are going to profess belief in the Catholic church. Smile

That’s small “c” catholic, as in universal, in the Apostle’s or Nicene Creed; not big “C” Catholic, as in Roman Catholic Church.

As our recently departed friend Jim Allen told me on more than one occasion: “A distinction without a difference.”

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“I have never been to a Christian church serve were the Apostles' Creed was not recited. It is the fundamental statement of what Christians believe.”

I can assure you there are many, many churches that don’t do it, and they are just as legitimate as those that do. Some denominations are more into liturgy than others.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwood4
posted Hide Post
Im 52 years old and have was raised (3 times a week) in the church. Ive read the Bible many times through, and the New Testament many more than that, and I have never heard of the "apostles creed".

Posts: 543 | Registered: November 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
As our recently departed friend Jim Allen told me on more than one occasion: “A distinction without a difference.”

No interest in this trivial nitpicking but i remenber Jallen saying this more then once and reading this made me smile so thank you.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3840 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwood4:
Im 52 years old and have was raised (3 times a week) in the church. Ive read the Bible many times through, and the New Testament many more than that, and I have never heard of the "apostles creed".
It's so important they didn't put it in there. Or maybe it's in the 'secret' addendum!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holger Danske:
Speaking of etiquette, I guess instead of worrying about foot placement, I would wonder why the current president and first lady opted not to recite the Apostle's Creed.
A large number of Christians do not repeat the Apostle's Creed (or the Nicene Creed, either) for what they consider good theological reasons. They either don't believe in "Creeds" in general, since they are not Biblical, or they are Unitarians and do not accept the Triune nature of God (they believe in God and Jesus, but not the concept of the Trinity). That does not make them any less "Christian".

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
quote:
Originally posted by Holger Danske:
Speaking of etiquette, I guess instead of worrying about foot placement, I would wonder why the current president and first lady opted not to recite the Apostle's Creed.

When I was Episcopalian, I would.

Now that I am a Oneness Apostolic Pentecostal, I don't.
That creed is not in the Bible.

The creed began as a Catholic trinity thing.
It's also known as the Nicean Creed.
Actually, the Nicene Creed is a totally different thing than the Apostle's Creed. Churches that do not recite one typically don't do the other, either.

Another poster earlier indicated that he knew the Apostle's Creed by heart and was a Methodist. I wonder if he repeats the line that says "He descended into Hell", which is part of that Creed. I've been a Methodist all my life and until the merger with the Evangelical United Brethren (which produced the UMC) that line was never printed or repeated when the Creed was said. It was a part of the Creed used by the EUB folk, and now some UMC churches do and others don't use that line. I asked about this to a USAF Chaplain one time and he stated that the line was based on a very obscure verse of Scripture than has been contentious for many years. So some churches include that line in the Creed and others do not.

Regarding the difference between lower-case "catholic" and upper-case "Catholic", I do understand the distinction. I have never understood why "universal" has not been substituted into the Creed instead of "catholic"--my church often has a little side note (with an asterisk *) explaining it, but still publishes the Creed with "catholic" in it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping that, once we get this squared away, we can agree on the number of angels that can dance on the head of a pin.

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
I'm hoping that, once we get this squared away, we can agree on the number of angels that can dance on the head of a pin.

Six, although there are four others sitting in corner waiting for some space to open up when Gabriel stops with his rendition of an Irish sword dance. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Proper church etiquette as a child is to sneak out 5 min early and see what kind of goodies they have in the fellowship hall. It was a good day if they those cookies with the sugar sprinkles and some sort of flavored drink, with purple or red being the best.

As a teen it was even better, you could leave after communion to help setup fellowship, then help cleanup the church after it ended and get some of that awesome leftover bread with the crust. Pastor normally chugged the wine at the end, but sometimes he forgot. Wink

Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
I have never attended a funeral in which they were going recite a prayer (like that one) that they did not include it in the funeral program. I would be very surprised that it was not in this funeral program. Maybe not?

It appears that it was included in the program as all the other presidents, and their wives, in attendance seem to be reading it

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
^ So I guess we’re down to who gives a shit? Go ahead and pat the Clintons and Obamas on the back for being good Christians and throw some shade at our sitting President because he didn’t do what they did. Sounds great. GMAFB.

quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

No interest in this trivial nitpicking but i remenber Jallen saying this more then once and reading this made me smile so thank you.

Cheers, SpinZone! I never heard the man's voice, but what I imagine it to have sounded like spoke those words to me. Smile

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is my opinion of it too. I believe it was created specifically to sum up the Christian belief in as succinct form as possible.

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
I would enjoy hearing your thoughts on this. Do you mind if I email you?

Sure, if you want to.
I am no expert though.

I am no expert either, but I would enjoy the exchange. Thanks!

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwood4:

I am nearly 81 and have also read the Bible many times, including a 2 year correspondence course.

I have not heard of this apostles creed, either.

Never heard it in any church service.

Edited to add: It is possible that my old, fading, memory has heard of it, but as stated I do not remember it.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
So What If President Trump Didn’t Recite the Apostles’ Creed?
https://townhall.com/columnist...stles-creed-n2537118

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23948 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I don’t get the uproar about not reciting the Apostles’ Creed.

Seems they’re damned if they do, damned if they don’t.

Remember the flak from when Melania recited the Lord’s Prayer?

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C-Dubs:
I don’t get the uproar about not reciting the Apostles’ Creed.

Seems they’re damned if they do, damned if they don’t.

Remember the flak from when Melania recited the Lord’s Prayer?

Me either. That is President and Mrs. Trump's personal business. IF I was going to be offended, I would be more offended at the obvious hypocrisy of Zippy, Michelle, Willie and Hitlery reciting something that means nothing to them. For the record, I am not offended, but shocked that these four didn't explode into balls of flame during the recitation.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TigerDore,

At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Could it be that none of the presidents in that picture, former or current, or their spouses believe the Apostles Creed, but that the Trumps are the only ones not concerned about pandering? It’s as likely as anything. Reciting the Creed is no more evidence of Christian faith than not reciting it is evidence of apostasy.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaaron11:
Reciting the Creed is no more evidence of Christian faith than not reciting it is evidence of apostasy.
But wait - making all those fancy gestures, crosses, and kisses doesn't make you a pious Christian?

This is one of those cases where Trump is damned if he do, damned if he don't. Oh, he didn't say this. Oh, he said that wrong. Oh, he didn't kneel sit stand look gesture feel at the right time.

This was about Bush41's life and I am glad that his family made it about that and not the sewer-pipe that McCain's funeral was.

Funny thing is in 40 years when Trump is forgotten, those McCains will have to look back and remember him. Forever. And I don't think that will age very well either. Big Grin