SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    HVAC product Sigforum advice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HVAC product Sigforum advice Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
8+ years ago I replaced an HVAC unit with a Byrant dual-fuel AC/Heatpump/Furnace system. It's worked well and saved a lot of money in energy bills.

Looking at replacing another. The prior installer has retired. Today I received a quote on a Comfortkeeper, but all I really know about these is the most common national brand names, which is to say, next to nothing.

Who is the best for electric/natural gas heating & cooling units?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My preferences are American Standard and Trane. Going with a brand where there is a dealer nearby is a big plus. I and people I know have had bad experiences with Rheem when within 10 miles of saltwater.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've had a good bit of experience with Goodman and Amana natural gas heat and ac units. Installed 3 in 3000 sq ft homes in 2007 and they have handled this last heat spell flawlessly. Only repairs are approx 2 start capcitors each and annual cleaning these past 10 years.

Goodman usually gets trashed but I have a world class ac guy and he likes them for ease of service and parts availability. I'd buy again.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Today I received a quote on a Comfortkeeper

Who is the best for electric/natural gas heating & cooling units?

I assume you mean Comfortmaker?

If so, United Technologies owns Carrier and ICP.
Carrier is marketed under Carrier, Bryant and Payne.
ICP is marketed under Arcoaire, Comfortmaker, Day-n-Night, Heil, KeepRite, Tempstar, ICP Commercial, ICP International, etc.

Years ago, Carrier and ICP used to be different equipment. But today, for all practical purposes, they are the same piece of equipment wearing different brand badges and sometimes painted a different color.

Best brand?
The one sized by a Manual J (load calculation), verified to have adequate ducting via a Manual D (duct calculation), installed and set-up to operate with-in the manufacture's specifications.

Worst brand?
The one that is over/under sized, operating outside the manufacture's specifications, which was installed as fast as can be, using minimal supplies by a good friend of a friend on the side (or a professional Hack).

Since you've had 8+ yrs. of reliable service from your existing equipment, can you get a recommendation from the previous installer?

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
He's retired.

Sorry about getting the name wrong. I'm working with the sizing, not just going off the last one.

So far it sounds like give anyone a try except Rheem?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
It is not uncommon in the industry for a huge corporations to rebrand several different ones. Heil Quaker, Janitrol, etc. I have been out of the business for several years. So really don't have a good feel for who the players are. But Trane and Lennox at one time where good ones i believe.
As was mentioned, word of mouth is one of, if not the best way to find the right installer. And get several recommendations to determine if they are the one you want.
In the heat of the season is never the best time as the demand is highest and everyone is busy and the best ones have a heavy back log.
So be willing and prepared to wait. The guy that can get there the soonest is never the guy I want in the heat of the season.

Best of luck.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I and people I know have had bad experiences with Rheem when within 10 miles of saltwater.

Screw that, I have had bad luck with Rheem 150 miles from salt water. Avoid.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Sent you an e-mail with the installer we used last year on a dual fuel system.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone & email received Smile

There isn't a rush, as the unit works, so will gather bids and get a sense of what to do, including ask if done off peak season if there is savings.

Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
My house originally had a Lennox system which lasted from 1996 when it was new until I replaced it last year. I have an installer I trust and he put in a new Ducane SEER 14 system for $4800. Local HVAC companies were quoting $7000-10000 for Goodman, Trane, ect. The installer is infinitely more important than the system brand after heavily researching HVAC's.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
he put in a new Ducane

Owned by Lennox, in case you didn't know. Wink

Lennox also owns Armstrong, Concord, Allied and AirEase.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
He's retired.

So far it sounds like give anyone a try except Rheem?

Recommendation for an installer is what I meant. Wink

Rheem's sister companies; Ruud, Weather King, Thermal Zone, etc.