SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What expressions/clichés annoy you?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What expressions/clichés annoy you? Login/Join 
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
My bad.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2828 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
no worries Mad

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
no worries

How is your crazy neighbor? Sorry for the thread drift.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
What not.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Just sayin

I hate this phrase. It is usually used after and insult or pejorative, like uttering that phrase excuses the insult.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4785 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
* Just so you know

* Just sayin (which almost forgot ... until I saw it in this thread ...)

Just sayin'

I started a whole thread to bitch about the use of "just sayin" ... and it was moved to the "Gripes" forum.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate it when people do what I call "stupid talk", that is they use inappropriate or incorrect words or terms to try to impress, but they are doing just the opposite, they are showing you how stupid they really are. It is especially bad related to firearms when people use the word "run" "running"ing" and "furniture". "Run" simply means something is functioning as it should, not that I have a piece of auxiliary crap attached to my gun. "Furniture" refers to small accoutrements as parts of a firearm, not gunstocks, pistol grips and forends. I think people that use these terms are trying to impress you with their knowledge, however they are doing just the opposite. If they only knew how silly they sound using a totally incorrect term. The "wannabes", "mall ninjas" and "operators" can't get through two sentences without using one of those words. Just check out YouTube. It is a vast wasteland of ignorance.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
"It's tragic and my heart goes out to the family", after a gang banger tried to kill n LEO. Not !

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8636 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are still investigating. Particularly when the incident happened three minutes ago. Laid to rest is annoying as well. What happened to they buried him? Our hearts go out to them. Come on newscasters do not really give a shit. I find the phrase first responders irritating as well. What happened to cops, and firefighters. If I get there before the police do I qualify?
Wish George Carlin was still alive. He always made fun of our stupid phrases. Oh battling cancer is ridiculous too. Most cancer patients find that annoying as well.

Ok rant over

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
I can't believe this one isn't listed here yet, a precursor to liberal talking points -

"We need to have a conversation..."

Another is "Riddle me this..." I have a co-worker that I hear say multiple times a day when he has a question for a customer. I like the guy but when I hear this I want to run over and stab him in his eyeball with a pencil.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
The ubiquitous phrase the media uses whenever there's a tragedy "our thoughts and prayers" are with the family,and then go smiley face for the next story makes me cringe.

To add a phrase that only recently has become contagious (can't believe I forgot to include it) is tick tock... as in give us the tick tock on how that situation went down.

I think this cliche driven country is on a slippery slope...

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I'm not easily triggered, but here are mine...

"That's not who we are"

"That's racist!"

"Offensive" (used in any way)

"A candlelight vigil"

From my wife...
"So..."

"I was thinking..." (This usually means spending money or consuming my time on a household project)

"What do you think?" (My response is never long and thorough enough and she assumes that a one-word answer means I'm not listening or I don't care)

"Can you ask so-and-so about x, y, z..." (Why do I have to be the one to ask someone a question that she can ask herself?) Why do I have to be the middle man?

"Honey have you ____ yet?"

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
Most of these don't bother me at all.

One that does and that you hear on TV a lot is
"You know what I'm sayin'?"
As in "I was scared, you know what I'm sayin'?
Yeah, I think I have the basic level of comprehension to know what "I was scared" means.

Gun related ones I hate:

"Scary Accurate" ... Accuracy scares you? Seems like inaccuracy would be a lot more frightening.
"It will stay in the 10 ring all day if I do my part" ... Isn't that just assumed? You might as well say "My car doesn't veer off the freeway, if I do my part."
Agree with "Shotty" as well as "Mossy", "Remmy", "Winnie", etc. Sounds like words used by someone too young to handle a shotgun.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2057 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Steed:
Agree with "Shotty" as well as "Mossy", "Remmy", "Winnie", etc. Sounds like words used by someone too young to handle a shotgun.

Generally, any clever gun related word/name modification. .257 "Bob" (Roberts), .300 "Roy" (Weatherby). It may have been a tiny bit clever the first time, but by the 10,000th Internet repetition, it's just DUMB!

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:I find the phrase first responders irritating as well. What happened to cops, and firefighters. If I get there before the police do I qualify?

I think they were swallowed by the same vortex that stole our doctors and nurses who were replaced by "health care providers". Perhaps a similar thing happened when all the bums, vagrants and n'er do wells were replaced by "the homeless"

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Phrases that are used as a substitute for thought irritate me. Cliches. Also, little joke phrases that someone thinks are clever, despite having been repeated a million times.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Synergize
Game Changer
Crosswalk
Onboarding
A lot on my plate
I don't have the bandwidth
Get the ball rolling
Ducks in a row
Thrown under the bus

Yeah I work in Corporate IT and it makes me want to puke sometimesSmile

I also see red when I hear this one:
six of one, half a dozen of the other

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I mean...

Starting or continuing every friggin' sentence with I MEAN.

If you mean it, just say it. I'll assume you mean because you're saying it. There's no need for reiterating the point to me every six words.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post