SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What expressions/clichés annoy you?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What expressions/clichés annoy you? Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Kick the can down the road.

Thankfully that one has mostly gone away.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Drop the mike.

I am an audio engineer
I have this t-shirt

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
A recent buzzword (term?) used in the tech field: "Green field (or greenfield)."

Must be a reaction to the tree-huggers. This used to be referred to as "bare metal."

The meaning is, building something up from scratch, computer-wise.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
No prob....

Hey Dude!...

(Heard from too many dopers)

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Whooooooooooooooooooo!
Gitchasomadat!
Whooooooooooooooooooo!

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Basically....

Posts: 9039 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Wow! Some of you guys find so much objectionable.
How do you manage to converse with anyone?

I've had to live on three continents over the years.
I've had to communicate with so many different people that I would go nuts if I had to pick apart everyone's speech patterns.
Sometimes, I'm just happy if I can understand what people are trying to communicate with me.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those that are married: Fine

For those with kids: Whatever

Of course the level of annoyance is relative to the importance of the conversation that was terminated by that one word response/phrase.

-TVz

Posts: 432 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
"Fuck you and the horse you rode in on." No, wait....I like that one. Never mind.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Help me choose. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rainman64:
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Drop the mike.

I am an audio engineer
I have this t-shirt

What is an $90 SM57 to those who wear $10,000-$50,000 of gold around their necks?

Frankly having been in the business… I got agree with you; just makes me cringe.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of argolfer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lunasee:
I get annoyed when I thank a food/bar Service Worker and they reply with "No problem".

Then I think "I hope not, it is your job."

I think I hear a lot of people get annoyed by this. I use that saying a lot and am not sure why it's annoying.

The way I use it is to let whoever know who was thanking me for doing something, that it was no problem at all for me to help them.

Posts: 4345 | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Where young folks use "like" ... it's simply a filler word for those with the lack of vocabulary.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Where young folks use "like" ... it's simply a filler word for those with the lack of vocabulary.
Similarly, "Ya know" every few words.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow! Some of you guys find so much objectionable.
How do you manage to converse with anyone?

I've had to live on three continents over the years.
I've had to communicate with so many different people that I would go nuts if I had to pick apart everyone's speech patterns.
Sometimes, I'm just happy if I can understand what people are trying to communicate with me

Glad to see someone so accepting. We need people like you for our customer service department and to communicate with foreign tech support.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One I like though is "you're what your record says you are" -Bill Parcells. That one usually shut people up quite nicely.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Hack... as in hack life or some such.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Glad to see someone so accepting. We need people like you for our customer service department and to communicate with foreign tech support.

I work in IT and have to use foreign tech support sometimes.
It's never really been a problem.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
This from someone who is relating something to you "I said all that to say this".

THen there is this one especially from someone whom you know to be a liar "To tell the complete truth".

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch

Shotty

Mancard

Posts: 1812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post