SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who have the longest lasting marriage that you know of? Who have the record?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who have the longest lasting marriage that you know of? Who have the record? Login/Join 
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
My parents = 82 years, and still ongoing at this moment.

I would say they are in the minority. Give them my congratulations for so many years together.

Posts: 4099 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
That is an impressive picture CoolRich59. Eek

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My parents are at 59 years. I think theirs is the longest among people I know.

I've got 29 years.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
My parents cheated a little bit. They married very very young, at 12 and 14. Those days, in Viet Nam, arranged marriage at early ages was not uncommon.

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
HRH the Queen has been married for 71 years, if I’m not mistaken.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
My older brother and his wife have been together since they were 14.

Got married in 1970, so 48 years so far.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34106 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I don’t know for sure, but likely my next door neighbors. He’s soon to be 102 years old, and his wife is upper 80s. He’s in good shape, mentally and physically. Walks about a mile most days for shopping. Sometimes his “young” wife goes instead. We should all be so lucky!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8933 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
That is an impressive picture CoolRich59. Eek

Jim

Thanks Jim. My father-in-law is one of my personal heroes. He retired early, played golf regularly, listened to Rush Limbaugh daily, and have 2 glasses of wine every evening.

For years, whenever I'd see him he'd take a look at my wife, smile at me, then say "Thank you for taking her off my hands". Big Grin

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steyn:
HRH HM the Queen has been married for 71 years, if I’m not mistaken.

You're not. A remarkable woman, and couple, for many reasons. And for the record, I'm not one of her subjects.

Posts: 2456 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Darn, you phrased the question too carefully. The response that always makes laugh is the guy who says, “I’ve been married xx years... but not all to the same woman.” Smile

My maternal grandparents got the letter from President Reagan congratulating them on fifty years and it was some years after that before grandpa passed. Mrs. slosig and I are newbies at 27 and a half years.

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My in-laws are both just over 80, been married 58 years this past weekend. The wife and I, for 32.

Posts: 3591 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
My parents were just shy of 66 years when my mom passed away. Dad still wears his wedding ring and says he is still married to mom, and he cannot wait to join her. If that counts, then 76 years.

My wife and I just hit 35 years. I love her more today than I did 35 years ago.

Posts: 8613 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
quote:
Originally posted by Steyn:
HRH HM the Queen has been married for 71 years, if I’m not mistaken.

You're not. A remarkable woman, and couple, for many reasons. And for the record, I'm not one of her subjects.

You are right about the title: HRH has not been used since the 50s, as per my encyclopedia. Shane on me.

You are also correct about her and her husband being a remarkable couple; behind Sir Winston Churchill, it is my humble opinion that she is the most important person of the last century.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
My parents = 82 years, and still ongoing at this moment.

Married for 82 years? Or 82 and still married?

Smile

Wow. Just wow....

And, congratulations, of course! Smile

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
I don't think anyone's going to beat your folk's record Q. That's remarkable!

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
10/6/18 will be day zero for us.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you Q? I would never have guessed you to be as old as your parents age would indicate.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20812 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tooky13:
I don't think anyone's going to beat your folk's record Q. That's remarkable!

They've been married so long she sneezes in his stead.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14035 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you Q? I would never have guessed you to be as old as your parents age would indicate.

58. I'm number 6 of 9.

And, congrats to you, my friend.

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

58. I'm number 6 of 9.

And, congrats to you, my friend.

We would all love if your younger sister, 7, would show up here. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14035 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My parents were married for 73 years before my Dad passed at 95; then my Mom passed 11 months later at 93. They got married the after she turned 20 on a 3 day pass when he was in the Army.

He worked for the same company after the war until he retired. They only lived in two different houses all those years.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post