SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Strange business call last night
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strange business call last night Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
Last night I get a call from the maintenance man at a local business. "You came by a couple weeks ago and I haven't heard from you. I need you here tonight to mow the lawn. I have important people coming tomorrow morning."

I was there a couple of weeks ago but when he asked me to give an estimate for mowing and snow removal I stated that I don't do snow removal and he should keep the guys he already has.

I didn't give an estimate because I thought it was settled.

I called the guy back but his voicemail is full (is that even still a thing??).

We played phone tag, never catching each other, for an hour or so, so I called his boss.

I told him there's no way for me to do it tonight. He said, "OK, then tomorrow is fine." Tomorrow is a 13 lawn day, no dice. "Friday is fine". NO! This went back and forth with me ending up figuring he wasn't going to take no for an answer and I told him I'll have to check my schedule when I get back to the office but no promises.

I never even quoted a price and that makes me leery of the whole thing. Why would they drop their old lawn care guy without even hearing an estimate from me? Am I that hot?? I mean, yeah, but still.

I fired off a guesstimate but won't do anything until I hear back. I don't even think I have a slot in my schedule for another acre of lawn.

I wonder what their important visitors think of the unmowed lawn. I don't think I know how to deal with this.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just having a good time
Picture of ragman
posted Hide Post
If it don't feel right,it ain't right. Go with your gut felling and you will seldom be wrong. Wink

" I didn't fail the test,I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1484 | Location: N. C. | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Never leave a client without a firm understanding of next steps.

And by firm understanding, I mean vehement agreement between both parties on what those next steps are.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This does not seem like the kind of customer you want.

You've got to know what to do when you don't know what to do.

Posts: 364 | Location: SML-VA | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Sometimes the most profitable jobs are those that you turn down.

You already know what you're in for based on their behavior. They can't remember discussing a price, which means they'll forget in the future. They will either forget to pay, or want to argue when they get the bill.

They're also the type to demand last minute service at odd hours. What is an emergency right this minute can wait the next.

Sounds like a lot of headache.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the tough things about business is knowing which customers you cannot afford to service.

Just think - if this is how he is now - wait til he is a 'regular'... bounced checks, complaints, unreasonable demands, unrealistic expectations, last minute changes, etc...

Of course dealing with tough customers is part of the deal - I typically don't shy away from it because I enjoy helping them with their situations. And they can be loyal also. But sometimes....

I have some customers just not worth it - they are the quickest ones to want to 'talk to management' also.

Good luck -

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I'm reminded of a sign in my long ago favorite gun shop in New Orleans:

"Failure to plan ahead on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I don't think I know how to deal with this.
I'd ignore them.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
A lot of solid advise here.

Particularly since it sounds like your dance card is already full.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
10% of your customers cause 90% of your problems. This place has that written all over it. Just count your blessings that you found out BEFORE you started doing business with them. Run.

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
You'll get the same bullshit run around when you're trying to collect.

Pass.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
I'd ignore them.
I like it!

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
I'd ignore them.

This, in spades. Block their number(s) and go on with your life. This is a squirrel colony. They probably want a few 'free' lawn services before you figure out they'll never pay. I'd bet they've done it many times.

Posts: 7233 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
You'll get the same bullshit run around when you're trying to collect.

Pass.

Didn't you just have this problem?
Perhaps they need someone because they didn't pay the last guy?
Maybe you should go in and tell them the price but tell them you want to be paid up front at least until the relationship is established?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23946 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Business agreements need to be done in writing. Even with someone you know. Spell out scope of work and any and all terms and conditions.
Doing things this way have prevented or solved 90% of my problems. The rest are from unreasonable people and having it in writing still was a great benefit.
This may sound time consuming but if you don't have time to do business this way, you will spend a lot more time dealing with issues because things weren't spelled out on paper.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Didn't you just have this problem?
I don't think anyone ever expected me to work for them before hiring me before. Big Grin
quote:
Perhaps they need someone because they didn't pay the last guy?
There's only one reason to drop a commercial account and that's it.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
... They're also the type to demand last minute service at odd hours. What is an emergency right this minute can wait the next. ...
Wonder how they feel about that now. Haha.

I just picked up another on a referral so I really can't help them.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Sometimes the most profitable jobs are those that you turn down.

Yep.

Sometimes the most costly jobs are those that you take.

Mark, as others here have stated, trust you gut instincts, and your experiences. They help get you to this point in life.

If it seems odd, it is likely because it is odd.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
What does their former guy say about them? I'd bet you'll find your answer therein.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I was just going to echo the "old guy didn't get paid" is the reason they called, now you could mow it for cash up front, and charge them 150% of the rate you'd normally charge, they are in a bind, need it cut, cash talks, bs walks...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post