SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The paramedic school saga. Part 2.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The paramedic school saga. Part 2. Login/Join 
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted
Some of you may remember when I posted about a year ago that I was going to be starting medic school. Well I started a hybrid online/in person class in January and just passed the final HESI exam this morning. The test was a real bastard but luckily I was able to prepare enough for it.

Now on to 500 hours of clinical and field time. I estimate I'll be done around September.

Just thought I'd post in case anyone else was thinking of doing it.

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GO To NURSING SCHOOL ‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️

Posts: 435 | Location: rocky river ohio | Registered: February 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Pursue your dream!

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by well1147:
GO To NURSING SCHOOL ‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Good for you.

HESI, is that the National Emergency Medical Technician - Paramedic exam?

If so, double my congratulations. I took it in 1986 and it was a nine hour day of written and practical testing.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Congrats and good luck with your clinicals.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Clinical is fun. It gets miserable after about 200 hours, but it's a fun kinda misery.

But yeah...nursing school. I stopped working as a paramedic at the 12 year mark. $18.50 or so an hour. I made $10 more per hour teaching CPR for a community college. Paramedic pay is nuts. Should be a 60k starting pay. You have an insane amount of responsibility for like $14/hr. When I started as a medic in 2004 I made $10 an hour. Insane.

Congrats, though. I'm more proud of being a paramedic than any other cert I think I've ever earned. It's seriously hard work.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
These guys are proud of you

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
I'll second RN school...or better yet go to PA school dude! Medic is a dead end job with little opportunity...I know, been a medic for thirty fuckin years! Fortunately for me it did open the fire service door and I'm an officer and will retire in a couple more years but RN or PA would be a much, much better choice.

Posts: 3112 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I'm becoming a medic basically because it's a lot easier to get a full time fire job than as a basic. That's why I'm not choosing the RN route.

posted Hide Post
Congrats on your achievement.

PA route if at all possible. My wifes office just hired a couple of them - $51 per hour

Posts: 766 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and good luck.

I wish I had the time to take the class.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
The one I did was a hybrid online class, you take the classroom portion from home with a live lecture online. Local students go every other Saturday for the practical portion, distance students fly in for a 10 day boot camp.

posted Hide Post
Congratulations. I stopped at the EMT level as that is what my fire department is lisenced at. I have had the pleasure of working with some of the best paramedics in the business.
Remember you can't save all of them and it sure as hell isnt like TV. Some calls will chill you to the bone. Some calls you will remember forever good or bad. 8 years for me now 4 of which were spent living at my firehouse, on every call. Remember to take care of yourself emotionally and physically.
It is the best job in the world as long as you don't let it consume you.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for you! Emergency medicine can be a very rewarding career.

My older son has been a paramedic for almost 14 years. Spent 10 as a Combat Medic, the last 3+ as a Flight Medic (Staff Sgt). He just took our regional firefighter exam and wants to become a paramedic/firefighter (more fire calls are medical than fire related, he loves emergency medicine). Two area departments are interested in him, fingers crossed.

Where ever you end up I wish you the best.

Posts: 1840 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
First day is Saturday. 8 hours out of 500 total... going to be a long 9 months.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
I'm becoming a medic basically because it's a lot easier to get a full time fire job than as a basic. That's why I'm not choosing the RN route.
lol

Posts: 435 | Location: rocky river ohio | Registered: February 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
What? I'm being honest.

posted Hide Post
quote:
My older son has been a paramedic for almost 14 years. Spent 10 as a Combat Medic, the last 3+ as a Flight Medic (Staff Sgt). He just took our regional firefighter exam and wants to become a paramedic/firefighter (more fire calls are medical than fire related, he loves emergency medicine). Two area departments are interested in him, fingers crossed.

Sounds like a perfect candidate for the job.

Posts: 2127 | Location: Tacoma, Wa. | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Clinical is fun. It gets miserable after about 200 hours, but it's a fun kinda misery.

But yeah...nursing school. I stopped working as a paramedic at the 12 year mark. $18.50 or so an hour. I made $10 more per hour teaching CPR for a community college. Paramedic pay is nuts. Should be a 60k starting pay. You have an insane amount of responsibility for like $14/hr. When I started as a medic in 2004 I made $10 an hour. Insane.

Congrats, though. I'm more proud of being a paramedic than any other cert I think I've ever earned. It's seriously hard work.

In my neck of the woods, Alberta Canada, Paramedics start at $35 per hour and Fire/Medics are closer to $40 per hour to start.
Fire/Medics are over $100,000 per year after 3 years.

Posts: 113 | Location: Grande Prairie AB | Registered: May 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post