SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The paramedic school saga. Part 2.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The paramedic school saga. Part 2. Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
n my neck of the woods, Alberta Canada, Paramedics start at $35 per hour and Fire/Medics are closer to $40 per hour to start.
Fire/Medics are over $100,000 per year after 3 years.

That's more like it. I'm with Chongo--I've worked with paramedics for many years, they have all been dedicated, competent, caring, and terribly underpaid for their level of responsibility.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats.....it's a lot of work but can be very rewarding. I stopped at the EMT basic (kept it for 30 years), I've got basics and EMT-I's in the dept and have friends that are medics. Let me tell you, I've seen the medics do great things in the field.

"Hang in there!!!" Sounds like will make a great medic.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 724 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Congrats on moving forward.

All I ask is that you not be that paramedic that gives a full dose of Narcan to a patient just before entering the ER.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Congrats on moving forward.

All I ask is that you not be that paramedic that gives a full dose of Narcan to a patient just before entering the ER.

I thought we were supposed to give just enough to get them breathing and then slam the rest into them as the sliding doors were opening Big Grin.

First 16 hours out of 500 are done. 2 cardiac arrests. 1 IV done out of 25 required, luckily the woman had put herself into a near comatose state with alcohol so she didn't care that I missed the first try...

And one out of control psych patient that took 8 of us to take her down.

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
28 hours to go in the hospital.

All I need is 3 tubes, 2 babies and a partridge in a pear tree.

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you made it. If you enjoy doing what you like, it will not feel like working. I got mine 17 years ago and still enjoy using my skills. The next thing is nursing school. I think about this myself for when I retire. There are great opportunities all over the U.S. and in all areas. It is better to get it done when you are younger but that is no reason to stop anyone.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. That is quite an accomplishment.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
28 hours to go in the hospital.

All I need is 3 tubes, 2 babies and a partridge in a pear tree.

No matter how tempting it may be to slay three dragons with one blow, DO NOT tube a baby bird with a tree.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Strong work, sir!

Do you have a job lined up yet?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Not yet, although my current chief is also an assistant chief on a full time department that will be hiring a decent amount of medics within the year. Every time I see him he asks if I'm a medic yet.

After the hospital I'll have 250 hours in the field and then a round of testing and, if everything goes right, I'll be done.

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not yet, although my current chief is also an assistant chief on a full time department that will be hiring a decent amount of medics within the year. Every time I see him he asks if I'm a medic yet.

After the hospital I'll have 250 hours in the field and then a round of testing and, if everything goes right, I'll be done.

If you've made it this far, you'll be fine.

If you can make it through acid based balance and cardiology, and you can get the mechanics of the physical skills, everything else is gravy. But I guess you figured thathat out by now Wink

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool EMS stories....

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

If you can make it through acid based balance and cardiology, and you can get the mechanics of the physical skills, everything else is gravy.

I didn't know gravy was part of your medical kits . . . .

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!! Welcome to the crazy world of emergency medicine. We're all a bit crazy to some degree-- gotta be in this field. But no better people to be found anywhere!!

BTW, after that full dose of Narcan, I'm making them thank the medics for saving their life!!

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
quote:

If you can make it through acid based balance and cardiology, and you can get the mechanics of the physical skills, everything else is gravy.

Only in Italy.

posted Hide Post
Just be sure you pay attention to the part where they teach 'Dead' versus 'Not Dead'.

------------------------------------------

Man Declared Dead Turns Out To Be Alive
March 21, 2017

Johnston County EMS is reviewing a call where a man was declared dead when he was actually alive. That man is alive and well today.

Questions are being raised about the alleged actions of medical workers who were reportedly told several times a man they had declared dead was still breathing and showed signs of life. However, bystanders pleas that the man was breathing were reportedly ignored.

Around 2:00am on January 1st, 2017, Selma EMS and a Johnston County EMS paramedic supervisor responded to a shooting call on Elizabeth Street. Emergency crews arrived to find 28 year-old Kendrick Kendrel Chrisp lying on the deck of a home suffering from a gunshot wound.

First responders reportedly found Chrisp barely breathing. Life saving measures including CPR were initiated but after a short while they discontinued and Chrisp was pronounced dead. What happened next is the focus of an internal investigation by Johnston County EMS and a local medical review board.

According to an emergency worker at the scene, who spoke with JoCoReport.com on the condition of anonymity, that after EMS stopped life saving measures and declared Chrisp dead a witness reported they saw Chrisp’s chest “rising and falling”. The witness said a paramedic was told the man was still breathing but the medical worker allegedly dismissed the claims saying it was where chest compressions had been performed on him earlier.

About a minute later, Chrisp, who again has been declared dead, put his hands over his head and moaned. A witness allegedly told a paramedic “You better do something” but the medical worker reportedly replied the man was going to die anyway. The witness told JoCoReport.com his first thought was, “Are you God now?”

The witness said another minute or two passed with Chrisp’s chest still rising and falling. He then turned on his right side. A paramedic was told a third time the victim was alive. The emergency worker allegedly replied, “He is going to bleed to death internally no matter where we take him.”

By now, Chrisp had grabbed a porch railing and was trying to pull himself up.

Paramedics then loaded Chrisp into an ambulance where he was rushed to WakeMed and underwent emergency surgery. After several weeks in the hospital Chrisp was discharged.

“They gave up on the guy,” the witness told JoCoReport.com. “I can still see him laying there.”

“I don’t think anybody wanted to do anything to be totally honest with you, and I don’t know why,” the witness said. “If I got shot would they give up on me that easily?”

According to public records obtained from the Johnston County 911 Center, CPR was stopped on the victim at 2:29am. At 2:45am the ambulance crew told dispatchers they were on their way to WakeMed with the patient. What happened during those 16 minutes is at the center of the investigation.

Privacy Laws Prevent EMS Officials From Commenting
Johnston County EMS Division Chief Josh Holloman said due to patient privacy laws there was little he could say about the allegations.

Holloman confirmed Johnston County EMS responded to assist Selma EMS on the call. “Although we cannot share details of patient care due to patient privacy laws, Johnson County EMS in coordination with the Office of Medical Director provides an audit and evaluation of every call and we consider it our mission to provide the highest quality emergency care.”

We requested to speak to the paramedic at the center of the allegations. Holloman denied our request to interview the paramedic.

Selma Police turned over a report to us about the shooting incident but it did not contain details about the dead man who turned out to be alive. Chief R.A. Cooper said the department has no further comment on the matter.

As for Chrisp, Selma Police obtained a warrant for his arrest last week charging him with attempted breaking and entering following the January 1st shooting. At last report he was still at large. The homeowner, a man confined to a wheelchair, who shot Chrisp will not be charged.

Chrisp is a convicted felon having served more than 2-1/2 years in prison for a 2011 robbery in Kenly. In 2010, Chrisp was shot in the leg during an altercation on North Raiford Street in Selma. Photos courtesy John Payne

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
quote:

Only in Italy Canada.
. Goes with the emergency fries.

Good luck on the babies! I remember my boys' godfather had to actually do like eight pregnancies to finally get the two births! Boy he cursed those c-section loving doctors!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Funny story about the one I did see.

I waited about 8 hours for one lady to give birth when they stated that she was ready to go at any time.

I stayed up on the L&D floor because I wasn't entirely convinced that they would call down to the ER when she finally popped. Around hour 7 I was falling asleep at the nurses station when I thought I heard one of the nurses say "The doc is going to do a C-Sec real quick and then induce that other lady"

Since a C-section counts as one of the three, I asked the nurse if I could watch. She stated she didn't care and the doc wouldn't either.

10 mins later the doc comes walking down the hall and the nurse says "Hey doc, are you ready to do that circ?"

Turns out it wasn't a C-section, it was a circumcision. I quickly told the nurse nevermind and that I didn't need to see that...

Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
How many of those do you have to observe? Must be an East Coast thing. Big Grin

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
As the nurse said after I told her, there aren't any of those we have to do in the field, unless the kid has an emergency Jewish wedding to go to Big Grin