SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The paramedic school saga. Part 2.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The paramedic school saga. Part 2. Login/Join 
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Thank you for what you do! Keep in there!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1953 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
1 tube left.... and then I'm done with hospital time. Can't come soon enough.

Posts: 6348 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:

You can come out here for it. Tomorrow I've got a 5'2" 350lb woman to do. It's going to be a blast! Roll Eyes Big Grin

Posts: 20097 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
I hated ER clinicals, but my field internship was awesome. Almost there bud...

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by well1147:
GO To NURSING SCHOOL ‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️

This!

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
quote:
Originally posted by well1147:
GO To NURSING SCHOOL ‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️

This!

You guys can keep pounding that drum, it's not going to happen.

Posts: 6348 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
Congrats and best of luck in your field training!

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Got my last tube a couple weeks ago before I went to FL on vacation. Turned in my clinical paperwork and just waiting for authorization for field time.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:

You can come out here for it. Tomorrow I've got a 5'2" 350lb woman to do. It's going to be a blast! Roll Eyes Big Grin

Awake fiberoptic?

Make it count

Posts: 1412 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
~150 hours into field time right now. Started off slow with a department that isn't too busy. Now I'm riding with a bigger city EMS department. My first day there and I got my tube. Now to burn down the rest of my skills.

SF Jake
posted Hide Post
good luck brother....been in those same shoes many many years ago....your almost done.

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and good luck with the next steps.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
Hah, missed this thread back in March. Glad it got the zombie treatment. A small bit of unsolicited advice because that's what SigForum is for, right?

As soon as you become a medic, start thinking about what's next.

I was you about ten years ago. I had gotten my EMT-P and thought, "Yeah, saving lives, earning bucks, lights and sirens, this is awesome!" And that wore off right about when I got my first paycheck.

"Wait, I just saw an ad for a Wendy's shift supervisor and it was for $16 an hour. How am I making $12 for bringing someone back after that Quadruple Quarter Pounder drops them like a college freshman on the first day of Chem 101."

Long story short, I ended up doing emergency management for about a decade followed by my current career doing software development for Mr. Trump and Co. Luckily I earn a wee bit more than $12 per hour, maybe even approaching Wendy's shift supervisor levels. EMS was an awesome entry point however. Believe it or not, I had a major data system melt down a while back and I still ran through the same basic scene size-up process that was taught to me in medic school.

So what's next? Do you want to be a fire medic? An instructor? Emergency manager? Volunteer and have a "real" job? Flight medic? Your EMT-P is a great gateway and a starting-off point but I would strongly advise figuring out how you're going to use it to grow your career into something a bit more stable and decent paying.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
My daughter is an EMT, I believe she passed a national exam for such. On the side she trains paramedics in CPR, but her main job is dispatcher for airborne ambulances.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of dealing with the craziest of the crazies, and absolute insomnia. Sleep is overrated anyway.

And never lend anyone your equipment. Never Smile

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
20 hours and 2 patient contacts left and I'm done with ride time. Then a large batch of testing.

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Well, it's finally done. I took the HESI exam in January and bombed it, so I took a few months to really cram in some studying and passed it in April. Took the NREMT practical a week ago and passed the written today. After 2 1/2 years I'm finally done. Now to wait for the NREMT to upload their paperwork so I can pay my tithing to the state and actually practice.

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Ryan. Job well done.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
Nice job Ryan!

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
a big congrats Ryan....pat yourself on the back...you deserve it man!

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post