SIGforum
The paramedic school saga. Part 2.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/3170079314

November 12, 2016, 09:16 PM
ryan81986
The paramedic school saga. Part 2.
Some of you may remember when I posted about a year ago that I was going to be starting medic school. Well I started a hybrid online/in person class in January and just passed the final HESI exam this morning. The test was a real bastard but luckily I was able to prepare enough for it.

Now on to 500 hours of clinical and field time. I estimate I'll be done around September.

Just thought I'd post in case anyone else was thinking of doing it.

November 12, 2016, 09:20 PM
well1147
GO To NURSING SCHOOL ‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️
November 12, 2016, 09:27 PM
AZSigs
Congratulations. Pursue your dream!

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor
November 12, 2016, 09:37 PM
ryan81986
quote:
Originally posted by well1147:
GO To NURSING SCHOOL ‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️

November 12, 2016, 09:58 PM
Sig2340
Good for you.

HESI, is that the National Emergency Medical Technician - Paramedic exam?

If so, double my congratulations. I took it in 1986 and it was a nine hour day of written and practical testing.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018
November 12, 2016, 10:06 PM
Appliance Brad
Congrats and good luck with your clinicals.

November 12, 2016, 10:07 PM
chongosuerte
Clinical is fun. It gets miserable after about 200 hours, but it's a fun kinda misery.

But yeah...nursing school. I stopped working as a paramedic at the 12 year mark. $18.50 or so an hour. I made $10 more per hour teaching CPR for a community college. Paramedic pay is nuts. Should be a 60k starting pay. You have an insane amount of responsibility for like $14/hr. When I started as a medic in 2004 I made $10 an hour. Insane.

Congrats, though. I'm more proud of being a paramedic than any other cert I think I've ever earned. It's seriously hard work.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones
November 12, 2016, 10:10 PM
Rightwire
These guys are proud of you

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.
November 12, 2016, 10:15 PM
cgode
I'll second RN school...or better yet go to PA school dude! Medic is a dead end job with little opportunity...I know, been a medic for thirty fuckin years! Fortunately for me it did open the fire service door and I'm an officer and will retire in a couple more years but RN or PA would be a much, much better choice.

November 15, 2016, 06:33 PM
ryan81986
I'm becoming a medic basically because it's a lot easier to get a full time fire job than as a basic. That's why I'm not choosing the RN route.

November 15, 2016, 06:37 PM
Tn226
Congrats on your achievement.

PA route if at all possible. My wifes office just hired a couple of them - $51 per hour
November 15, 2016, 06:38 PM
P-220
Congratulations and good luck.

I wish I had the time to take the class.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve
November 15, 2016, 07:02 PM
ryan81986
The one I did was a hybrid online class, you take the classroom portion from home with a live lecture online. Local students go every other Saturday for the practical portion, distance students fly in for a 10 day boot camp.

November 15, 2016, 08:39 PM
ffemt44
Congratulations. I stopped at the EMT level as that is what my fire department is lisenced at. I have had the pleasure of working with some of the best paramedics in the business.
Remember you can't save all of them and it sure as hell isnt like TV. Some calls will chill you to the bone. Some calls you will remember forever good or bad. 8 years for me now 4 of which were spent living at my firehouse, on every call. Remember to take care of yourself emotionally and physically.
It is the best job in the world as long as you don't let it consume you.
November 15, 2016, 10:09 PM
doc45
Good for you! Emergency medicine can be a very rewarding career.

My older son has been a paramedic for almost 14 years. Spent 10 as a Combat Medic, the last 3+ as a Flight Medic (Staff Sgt). He just took our regional firefighter exam and wants to become a paramedic/firefighter (more fire calls are medical than fire related, he loves emergency medicine). Two area departments are interested in him, fingers crossed.

Where ever you end up I wish you the best.
December 07, 2016, 05:33 PM
ryan81986
First day is Saturday. 8 hours out of 500 total... going to be a long 9 months.

December 07, 2016, 06:48 PM
well1147
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
I'm becoming a medic basically because it's a lot easier to get a full time fire job than as a basic. That's why I'm not choosing the RN route.
lol
December 07, 2016, 06:59 PM
ryan81986
What? I'm being honest.

December 07, 2016, 07:39 PM
oldfireguy
quote:
My older son has been a paramedic for almost 14 years. Spent 10 as a Combat Medic, the last 3+ as a Flight Medic (Staff Sgt). He just took our regional firefighter exam and wants to become a paramedic/firefighter (more fire calls are medical than fire related, he loves emergency medicine). Two area departments are interested in him, fingers crossed.

Sounds like a perfect candidate for the job.
December 07, 2016, 10:11 PM
npbra
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Clinical is fun. It gets miserable after about 200 hours, but it's a fun kinda misery.

But yeah...nursing school. I stopped working as a paramedic at the 12 year mark. $18.50 or so an hour. I made $10 more per hour teaching CPR for a community college. Paramedic pay is nuts. Should be a 60k starting pay. You have an insane amount of responsibility for like $14/hr. When I started as a medic in 2004 I made $10 an hour. Insane.

Congrats, though. I'm more proud of being a paramedic than any other cert I think I've ever earned. It's seriously hard work.

In my neck of the woods, Alberta Canada, Paramedics start at $35 per hour and Fire/Medics are closer to $40 per hour to start.
Fire/Medics are over $100,000 per year after 3 years.