SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dashcam videos from the last few days
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dashcam videos from the last few days Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted
Got a Garmin GPS/Dashcam combo a while back, nothing really eventful till the last couple days. Beware, idiots are everywhere.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Good thing you were driving defensively or you would've hand a very dinged up vehicle.

Wonder if the mustang driver just didn't see you or if they're a self-involved ass that thinks the world revolves around them.

I'm shocked at all of the bubbas in Texas that haul stuff in the bed of their pickup without tying/strapping down a load. The highways are strewn with stuff that flew out of pick-up beds. Washer and dryers aren't that big either so I'm surprised the tailgate was down.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
Did the driver finally know he lost appliance? This happened a few years ago in Atlanta. And iirc some one died from accident it caused. They found out who the driver of truck was by going back to selling store (from tracing serial number on appliance)and tracing sell of appliance to video of it being loaded into truck. I don’t remember final outcome but driver did get arrested and charged. There is always a ladder somewhere on the interstates around Atlanta.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Were your headlights on in the first video? I know it was raining and visibility was bad but it appears you drive a larger vehicle and it would be difficult to miss.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Not surprised these vids were captured in TX. Driven through nearly every state of the CONUS and TX had the worst drivers, wobbly roads, zero road signage/paint and freakish road incidents. Keep safe!

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Were your headlights on in the first video? I know it was raining and visibility was bad but it appears you drive a larger vehicle and it would be difficult to miss.

Yep, lights come one automatically with wipers. It’s a white Jeep Grand Cherokee so not huge, but big enough. The whole reason I got the dashcam was because this is my company provided vehicle and I have always been a little fearful of an accident in which the other driver claimed I was at fault and having no way to prove otherwise.

So far it was a good investment.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Good on you for the cameras. I have them in both of our cars. My 4Runner has a Thinkware unit and my wife’s care has a BlackVue (I like it better).

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I've had a BlackVue in my Tacoma for a couple of years. Thankfully, I've not run into too many such incidents even though I apparently (according to Dalor) live in the state with the worst drivers, many who have moved here from other states. I guess when they cross the boarder they lose all driving skills

I'm surprised automakers haven't engineered dash cams into new vehicles. I think this would be a nice accessory add on.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
What model is that? Pretty good video!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm surprised automakers haven't engineered dash cams into new vehicles

Yep
With all the essentially useless gee-whiz crap automakers have added to their vehicles, you’d sure think factory front and rear cameras would be at least an option.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
What model is that? Pretty good video!

Garmin Drive Assist 51 LMT

My work vehicle doesn’t have built in GPS, so this unit makes sense. Thinking about a camera only unit for the wife’s Explorer.

Complacency sucks…

posted Hide Post
It wont be long before Insurance companies give a discount on their rates for installation. Of course like body cams there is room for speculation as to who did what and when.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clarity of video is really good - i recommend using Rain-X on auto glass - even more so with a camera installed - you can almost drive without wipers in all but the heaviest rain but more importantly it beads up even more allowing an even clearer view

I remember an incident when we lived in atlanta where a dryer came out of the vehicle because it was not secured - may be same as rangeme101 post above mentions - Here is the one I remember

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised the car companies aren't offering them as a built in option.

quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
It wont be long before Insurance companies give a discount on their rates for installation. Of course like body cams there is room for speculation as to who did what and when.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiwimon:
Clarity of video is really good - i recommend using Rain-X on auto glass - even more so with a camera installed - you can almost drive without wipers in all but the heaviest rain but more importantly it beads up even more allowing an even clearer view

Strangely enough I had just applied it a week prior. And yes in actual rain it works great. What you’re seeing is mostly road spray, which unfortunately is almost too fine to do any serious beading.

Complacency sucks…

Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I've had a dash cam for 2 years now and just downloaded my 3rd video from the 2 years last weekend after an idiot lady jammed in front of me on the highway last Saturday evening.

That washer/dryer? falling off was terrifying! That could have been very bad if you hadn't been paying attention.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post