SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cool stuff on the Interstate
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cool stuff on the Interstate Login/Join 
Non-Miscreant
posted
I hate traffic jams. But sometimes there are things to look at. Yes, the babe's in other cars are sometimes worthwhile. But today in the linear parking lot there were two trucks. Big flatbeds with aluminum bars. Not the dinky little things you sometimes see chained down, but two trucks with big bars. They seemed to be 2'x 2' x 15 or 20'. No, I'm not sure they were aluminum, but its the only white metal I'm familiar with other than silver. I have no idea how much they weighed, but both trucks took the curb lane and were crawling up the hill.

I'm not smart enough to figure out how to steal one and put it in my garage, or what to do with it if I could.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
I like trying to entertain and lighten the mood of other drivers. I've been known to use a 4" strap to affix a toy truck to the middle of my flatbed (aka skateboard).

And yeah, flatbed weights can be very deceiving. I creep my fair share of hills.

This is just over 48,000 pounds of rebar.

and about the same of lally columns

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MooneyP226:
I've been known to use a 4" strap to affix a toy truck to the middle of my flatbed

I won't lie: I get a kick out of seeing a Tonka Mighty Dump strapped onto a flatbed. Smile

I've seen it a few times... maybe it's more common than I thought.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
I hate traffic jams. But sometimes there are things to look at. Yes, the babe's in other cars are sometimes worthwhile. But today in the linear parking lot there were two trucks. Big flatbeds with aluminum bars. Not the dinky little things you sometimes see chained down, but two trucks with big bars. They seemed to be 2'x 2' x 15 or 20'. No, I'm not sure they were aluminum, but its the only white metal I'm familiar with other than silver. I have no idea how much they weighed, but both trucks took the curb lane and were crawling up the hill.

I'm not smart enough to figure out how to steal one and put it in my garage, or what to do with it if I could.
Those huge bars and ingots come out of Alcoa/Novellis in Berea, Kentucky. I hauled many loads of crushed cans, in bales to the plant. I've seen many a ingot 2 × 8 × 20 foot, 1 to a trailer, come out of there. They got bales stacked over 30 feet high and it looks like walls of aluminum.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like trying to entertain and lighten the mood of other drivers. I've been known to use a 4" strap to affix a toy truck to the middle of my flatbed (aka skateboard).

And yeah, flatbed weights can be very deceiving. I creep my fair share of hills.

This is just over 48,000 pounds of rebar.

Nucor bar mill mooney?

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Saw a funny on a pickup today I passed today on the highway. On the back window behind the driver was a bumper sticker reading "Kick brass" with a silhouette of an M4. On the side window behind the driver the sticker read:

"Notice: Remove ski mask and clear all weapons before entering the vehicle."

The young woman driving it was probably in her mid-thirties.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I got passed by the Oscar Meyer Weiner mobile a couple weeks back. Seen it many years back and never saw it has dual wheels in the back. Its a pretty fast moving hot dog.

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I was over in East Alton the other day where Olin Brass is located. They had a few trucks meandering down the road with coiled brass or copper on them. Several axles on the trailers.

I pulled up next to one at a stop light and asked him what the coils weighed. He said roughly 20,000 pounds each, and there were probably 5 or 6 on each truck.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I got passed by the Oscar Meyer Weiner mobile a couple weeks back. Seen it many years back and never saw it has dual wheels in the back. Its a pretty fast moving hot dog.

I saw one last year. I wanted to stop it just to call out "I'm stopping the Oscar Meyer Weiner mobile" over the radio. But I didn't have the opportunity.

Somewhere on the interwebz there is still a picture of me stopping a Krispy Kreme truck back in 08 or 09 Big Grin

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

Somewhere on the interwebz there is still a picture of me stopping a Krispy Kreme truck back in 08 or 09 Big Grin

Okay, which picture is of you? LOL
https://encrypted.google.com/s...INg&biw=1280&bih=657

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:

Okay, which picture is of you? LOL
https://encrypted.google.com/s...INg&biw=1280&bih=657

The funnier part is that dispatch sent 'backup' to only take a picture, then he got in his car and left. Oh, go about halfway down its the night stop that says vwpd on the screen

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I have a picture of my wife and I posing with the Oscar Meyer Weiner Mobile. There's about six of them. I used to work for Oscar Meyer.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
quote:

LOL

Back in the late '70s when I was an MP at Ft Bragg, pulling over the KK truck was a regular occurrence. They'd be coming onto post at 0430, delivering
to mess halls, and would regularly be exceeding the limit by 25-30 mph.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3138 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I have seen all kinds of interesting things on flatbeds. Tanks. Bradleys. Strykers. All manner of military gear. Aircraft. Huge industrial equipment. Explosives. Even casks of radioactive material. I always laugh when I see a truck with other trucks behind it in a strange conga line.

But the really memorable loads are the ones that scared me half to death. One in particular stands out, even after 25 years. One morning before rush hour turned the DC Beltway into a parking lot there was an 18-wheeler with ton containers of chlorine gas being driven well in excess of the speed limit (75 in 55) by a driver who had decided weaving in and out of traffic in a fully loaded rig with a dangerous cargo was a wise idea. It so shocked me I called it in to the MSP. There were no reports of a major disaster involving chlorine that day, so I guess he got to his destination.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The wife and I were behind a Prius the other day. The bumper sticker had a rifle on it and said "You can give peace a chance, I'll cover you just in case it doesn't work out".

It was funny enough, especially on a Prius, that I looked it up and asked for the T shirt for Fathers Day.

Posts: 7349 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
My brother is down in FL working on his house and got stuck as tractors with 3 separate 80' concrete girders pulled onto the road in front of him. Said they were very cool to look at when he finally passed them. Must have been headed for a bridge project.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:

On them second floor lintels between the lally columns, do you want we should rabbet them or not? Big Grin

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:

I saw one last year. I wanted to stop it just to call out "I'm stopping the Oscar Meyer Weiner mobile" over the radio. But I didn't have the opportunity.

I remember those pics chongo. That's some funny stuff there. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
we see these blades on a regular basis, they mak'em just west of here , on I-80

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
I've been known to use a 4" strap to affix a toy truck to the middle of my flatbed

I won't lie: I get a kick out of seeing a Tonka Mighty Dump strapped onto a flatbed. Smile

I've seen it a few times... maybe it's more common than I thought.

I've always wondered about that. Do you just haul the toy around all the time in the tractor while hauling a load?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post