SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lifelock? Someone stole my info, need to protect myself
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lifelock? Someone stole my info, need to protect myself Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
So someone has tried to change my address on my cards and open new accounts. I guess I need to freeze my credit and deal with all this. This isn't the first time. Guess I need some credit protection, what does everyone think of lifelock?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have Lifelock (or anything else)

This has become so ridiculously common that the banks and credit card companies hardly bat an eye when you call them to fix it.

I check my credit card charges on line several times a week to watch for fraudulent charges. It seems I rarely make it a year without having to close one and reissue. It has never cost me a dime.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
LifeLock is a legit service; however, you wind up paying them for everything that you can do for yourself.

What you get for your money, is they do the legwork for you.

You can do the same for yourself, without paying LifeLock.

You decide: how much is your time worth? Is it worth paying LifeLock?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
I know my info is on the dark web. Sucks. I have lifelock and wouldn't not have it. The only thing that's happened is legit credit hits by me getting a loan etc. I do wonder if the bad guys know I have lifelock and don't bother with me cause they won't get far...

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Placing an extended alert and security freeze on all three credit bureaus is free and very good insurance against ID theft.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^

Considering that the entire financial world now knows that Equifax was hacked and half of our numbers are out there, what kind of idiotic bank or credit card company is going to extend credit without further verification. Further, what court would ever enforce a judgement against us for fraudulent credit that was extended under those circumstances?

I'm not planning to do anything.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
One ratings/review of Identity Theft Protection services.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Along those lines...

I did a freeze on Equifax, Transunion, and Experian after buying my car early this year.

My understanding is that no one, myself included, can obtain credit under my information without the lock being lifted.

I check my banking/credit card info almost daily, and balance everything multiple times a week.

Once a month I move a set amount from savings (where my work deposits it) to my checking. I pay the largest bills on the first of the month, so the money isn't lingering there very long to be stolen anyway. The bills that are not paid on the 1st of the month are drafted from my credit card, and I pay it off at the end of the month. I only have 1 credit card, and it is rarely used except for those 3 bills, that total around $200, just to keep it active.

I have an account with credit karma, and check my credit report(s) monthly.

My only concern is if someone was somehow able to access my savings accounts. I expect they could take the information from my debit card and make their own and withdraw the money, or they could gain access to my online accounts and transfer the money to withdraw or spend through the debit card information.

I am set up for alerts for spending and transfers, but my credit union's alerts are delayed from hours to a day or more.

Any suggestions on more I should be doing?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Lifelock is legit but you're paying a premium for something you can do mostly on our own for almost free.
A credit freeze at all three agencies is less than $15 one time and then www.annualcreditreport.com (the only legit free site) will let you check each agency once a year.
Just spread out the checks every three months to one agency at a time.
Do NOT use a debit card. They only benefit the banks that push them.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Placing an extended alert and security freeze on all three credit bureaus is free and very good insurance against ID theft.

Yes, yes, yes. I've become adept at temporary lifts when applying for a prequalification letter for a loan. Keep track of all the user id's, passwords, PINs associated with each of the three credit bureaus.

Here's an article from AARP with an interview with Frank Abignale, of Catch Me If You Can Fame:

quote:
Frank Abagnale Will Catch You If You Scam
The former con man is now a fraud fighter

by Hugh Delehanty, AARP Bulletin, May 2016

Fraud expert and former con artist provides tips on how to best identify and protect yourself from scams.

Q: It's been decades since you passed bad checks and adopted false identities. How has technology changed scamming?

A: It's made it a thousand times easier. To forge checks 50 years ago, I had to have a Heidelberg printing press that cost about $1 million and required three journeymen printers to operate. Today you just open your laptop, go to somebody's corporate website and, within 15 minutes, you'll have a beautiful four-color check that's probably 10 times better than the actual checks.

Q: Are today's scammers less charming than you were?

A: There's really no such thing as a con man anymore—the well-dressed, sophisticated guy who speaks well. That's not necessary because you're conning people from thousands of miles away over a telephone or a computer. You could be in your pajamas sitting in a kitchen.

Q: What's the most ingenious scam you've seen recently?

A: One of the most popular scams is what they call account takeover. You write me a check and I simply go online to a check-printing service and order 200 checks with your account information. I might even put my own name and address on them. Most people don't reconcile their bank accounts. By your next statement, I've already written checks that have cleared your account.

Q: What about identity theft?

A: It's amazingly simple to do. The truth is, your identity already has been stolen. More than 800 million security breaches have occurred, and we have only about 320 million people in this country.

Q: So what tips do you have?

A: Do what I do. First, I shred everything, even if it's worthless, with a micro-cut shredder, which turns paper into confetti. Second, I use a service that monitors all three credit bureaus and notifies me in real time if somebody is trying to use my credit. Third, I don't write a lot of checks because if you write a check in a store, anyone who sees it along the way could order bogus checks on your account.

Q: What about your debit card?

A: I don't have one. I use only credit cards, because if somebody gets my card number and charges $1 million, my liability—by federal law—is zero. But when you use a debit card, you're exposing the money in your account. And even if you use your debit card every day for the next 25 years, it won't raise your credit score one point.

Q: What's your strategy with social media?

A: You don't want to use a photograph of yourself straight on, because there are too many devices today that can take that picture and match it online. Use a photo of yourself with a group of friends, taking part in some kind of activity. Also, never post where you were born or the full date of your birth, because those are two keys that can open your identity .

Posts: 18043 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Identity Guard is less money and does the same thing. Someone will actually pick up the phone with Identity Guard as well.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Along those lines...

I did a freeze on Equifax, Transunion, and Experian after buying my car early this year.

My understanding is that no one, myself included, can obtain credit under my information without the lock being lifted.

I check my banking/credit card info almost daily, and balance everything multiple times a week.

Once a month I move a set amount from savings (where my work deposits it) to my checking. I pay the largest bills on the first of the month, so the money isn't lingering there very long to be stolen anyway. The bills that are not paid on the 1st of the month are drafted from my credit card, and I pay it off at the end of the month. I only have 1 credit card, and it is rarely used except for those 3 bills, that total around $200, just to keep it active.

I have an account with credit karma, and check my credit report(s) monthly.

My only concern is if someone was somehow able to access my savings accounts. I expect they could take the information from my debit card and make their own and withdraw the money, or they could gain access to my online accounts and transfer the money to withdraw or spend through the debit card information.

I am set up for alerts for spending and transfers, but my credit union's alerts are delayed from hours to a day or more.

Any suggestions on more I should be doing?

This reminds me of the time i logged into your bank account, apparently at that time our user names and security questions were the same....

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
^^^^^^^

Considering that the entire financial world now knows that Equifax was hacked and half of our numbers are out there, what kind of idiotic bank or credit card company is going to extend credit without further verification. Further, what court would ever enforce a judgement against us for fraudulent credit that was extended under those circumstances?

I'm not planning to do anything.

I applied twice for two different credit cards online after the breach and I got approved very fast within seconds after hitting the submit button.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I was fortunate, my credit union offers identity theft protection for $2/mo. I checked my info and apparently I dodged the Equifax failure. I certainly wouldn't use their service

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link, it looks like Ill be going with Identity Guard, good reviews and cheaper. Someone definitely has my info, have the address and name they tried to change my account to.

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Thanks for the link, it looks like Ill be going with Identity Guard, good reviews and cheaper. Someone definitely has my info, have the address and name they tried to change my account to.
You have the miscreant's address? When somebody tried to charge mail-order stuff to my card, the bank had their address but would not give it to me. I really wanted to make a road trip and have a nice conversation with the bastages.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
They gave me the address. It's a real place in Indiana, but don't know if it's the culprits real address or just one he picked. Also gave me his name but it doesn't match the address.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
File a police report with your local agency and keep a copy.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
File a police report with your local agency and keep a copy.

And what is this going to accomplish other than maybe a correspondence that they don't have the resource's to pursue this kind of thing. I mean come on Roll Eyes

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBAR15:

Is this state-specific? I did a credit freeze as well. Equifax was free, but TU and Experian both charged me $10.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post