SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Midlife crisis car
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Midlife crisis car Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Joining a forum for Vipers or whatever rare car you want is probably one of the best ways to find a good example for sale.
Internet forums are an INCREDIBLE source for info and many have a classified section that should be quite helpful.

That's what I did when I wanted to buy a Sig... Wink

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24050 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always been a Vette guy here.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man of few words
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
It could've been a Hennessy car. I think Hennessy is out in AZ. But I too would pass given what you described..... I'm going to give you some advice......even if you have to spend a little outside of your budget, get EXACTLY what you want......not close......get a clean car in the exact color combination you want.....even if you have to spend a few thousand more.

IMO Blue with the white stripes......or red are the only 2 colors to have a GTS in.

Haha, if it was a Hennessy car I would be even more worried.

Yep. Google search of hennescrewed should turn ANYONE off from taking a chance on something that possibly came from there.

hennescrewed

Posts: 1010 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
another vote for the 5.0L Mustang.

At least there is a 'hint' of practicality in that car... Big Grin

ie I could see taking a 500+ mile drive in the Mustang - not in a Viper or Corvette...

(And this is coming from a guy whose wife has a Corvette occupying the garage rarely driven. Roll Eyes)

------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
another vote for the 5.0L Mustang.

At least there is a 'hint' of practicality in that car... Big Grin

ie I could see taking a 500+ mile drive in the Mustang - not in a Viper or Corvette...

(And this is coming from a guy whose wife has a Corvette occupying the garage rarely driven. Roll Eyes)

------------------------

Did you not read the OP? Pretty sure practicality means fuckall and he's allergic to Ford.

Find a Viper GTS and post pics!!

Posts: 5127 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
I own and track a highly modified 2003 C5 Vette. It is a tremendous car and a thrill to drive. You'll never be able to wipe the smile off of your face. LOL

My only word of caution is buy a 2002 or newer C5Z. Replacement ABS/EBCM modules/parts are available.
Cheers!

Posts: 525 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
haha yes.... I cannot do Mustangs. No offense to owners on this forum as everyone around here has been great in my experience, but I have been going to car meets/shows/swaps etc. since I was 15 and have had very bad experiences with a large number of mustang owners. I think the new ones have a lot to offer and I hear they finally have an independent rear suspension, but there's no way I could ever purchase one. There's a stigma in my mind that will be there forever.

But honestly I am not super interested in the new camaro either. Sitting in one makes me feel like I'm in a cave.

The Viper on the other hand feels like you're stepping into a cockpit. It's very cozy without being uncomfortable IMO (I am 5'10 200 lbs).

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I thought the idea of joining a Viper forum or club was an outstanding idea. Find some rich guy who wants to sell his immaculate Viper to buy a new Ferrari or something, lol. A few grand here or there doesn't mean a whole lot to some people.

Posts: 5758 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
I thought the idea of joining a Viper forum or club was an outstanding idea. Find some rich guy who wants to sell his immaculate Viper to buy a new Ferrari or something, lol. A few grand here or there doesn't mean a whole lot to some people.

That's the plan. But unfortunately cars like that are going out of my price range.

I am just going to have to wait it out and be patient for once in my life.

quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Eastern European, selling a rare car for someone else, he knows nothing about, with ZERO paperwork on such a rare car that appears heavily modified, from a storage unit.

Nope, Nope, Nope, and HELL NOPE!!!!

It just sucks because I love the color, it's (somewhat)local, and in my price range. It would be a great car for someone with about 5 grand to restore it to its former glory. Unfortunately that isn't me.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends on what you really want. The Corvette is a very comfortable car to drive daily. Parts are easy to come by and so forth and they're solid cars getting almost 30 mpg on the highway.

The Viper definitely draws a LOT more attention and is a lot more special. But it's not really comfortable to drive due to the heat coming up from the floor. Also, I'd be REALLY afraid of the cost if I grenade that V-10 motor. Not to mention body parts like the hood are a nuclear fortune.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
quote:
It depends on what you really want. The Corvette is a very comfortable car to drive daily. Parts are easy to come by and so forth and they're solid cars getting almost 30 mpg on the highway.

The Viper definitely draws a LOT more attention and is a lot more special. But it's not really comfortable to drive due to the heat coming up from the floor. Also, I'd be REALLY afraid of the cost if I grenade that V-10 motor. Not to mention body parts like the hood are a nuclear fortune.

Jimmy, stick to boats.It's obvious you only know what you have read about Vipers on the internet.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 21bubba:
quote:

Jimmy, stick to boats.It's obvious you only know what you have read about Vipers on the internet.

I had 3 friends that had them back in the day when they were new or almost new. 1 friend had a 1996 GTS blue with white stripes and the other had a 1997 red GTS (no stripes), and another blue one with white stripes but think it was a few years newer.

I've driven them more than a few times. If you get on them a few times......your shoes practically melt to the floor boards at least here in Florida. The heat radiating up from the floor was uncomfortable to say the least. Also, it's real easy to lose to the rear end on them if you go into a turn a little too hard and it doesn't come back like the mustangs or corvettes did by just counter steering and staying into the throttle.

The one friend bought his as a stolen recovery. It was missing the hood, front bumper, doors and seats. All else was intact.....the new price on the hood was an ungodly amount.....$12 or 15k if I remember correctly, not to mention the price of the other parts......he found them used for just an arm and not an arm and a leg. Put the car back together (it was only 1 year old) and kept it for 2-3 years.

I had a 1993 Mustang Cobra at the time that was a daily driver (a/c, all original interior, etc.) that ran 10.80's at 128 mph in the 1/4 mile which I got rid of in 2000 with 36k miles, the motor was due for a freshening at that time and I was over the racing scene by then.

In the late 90's Hennessy was turning out a lot of fast vipers, and about the only one doing them etc. I got out of that scene in 2000, I guess when Hennessy got into some money troubles and started scamming people.

Everyone moved on from them.....The owner of the red one now has a Ford GT, Ferrari 360, and a Lambo for example. Back in the day Vipers were like seeing a mustang, down here in South Florida, they were everywhere.

What kind of cars do you think yacht owners have btw??? Toyota tercels? What type of people do you think I work for? I manage yachts for VERY wealthy, exclusive people.... some of them are or were: ceo's of fortune 500 companies, senators, vice presidents of foreign countries, people on the fortune 200 list, etc. I manage and run $500k-$10 million yachts in the yachting capital of the world, not 1960's $100k Chris Crafts in Ohio. I have one owner that has a Ferrari F40,F50, and Enzo as well as numerous classic ones but they're all at his house in Switzerland. Others that have an F40, Ferrari California, Carrera 4 GTS, Lambo's, Bentleys, Shelby cobra, pantera, etc. I've driven more than several of them.....only rode in the F40. Part of my job is driving some of them when they're up North for 6 months.

posted Hide Post
Buy a Viper

I owned a ‘01 RT/10 several years ago.

Also owned a ‘07 GT3

I’d buy another Viper - no question.

MDS

Posts: 376 | Registered: November 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I had 3 friends that had them back in the day when they were new or almost new. 1 friend had a 1996 GTS blue with white stripes and the other had a 1997 red GTS (no stripes), and another blue one with white stripes but think it was a few years newer.

I've driven them more than a few times. If you get on them a few times......your shoes practically melt to the floor boards at least here in Florida. The heat radiating up from the floor was uncomfortable to say the least. Also, it's real easy to lose to the rear end on them if you go into a turn a little too hard and it doesn't come back like the mustangs or corvettes did by just counter steering and staying into the throttle.

The one friend bought his as a stolen recovery. It was missing the hood, front bumper, doors and seats. All else was intact.....the new price on the hood was an ungodly amount.....$12 or 15k if I remember correctly, not to mention the price of the other parts......he found them used for just an arm and not an arm and a leg. Put the car back together (it was only 1 year old) and kept it for 2-3 years.

I had a 1993 Mustang Cobra at the time that was a daily driver (a/c, all original interior, etc.) that ran 10.80's at 128 mph in the 1/4 mile which I got rid of in 2000 with 36k miles, the motor was due for a freshening at that time and I was over the racing scene by then.

In the late 90's Hennessy was turning out a lot of fast vipers, and about the only one doing them etc. I got out of that scene in 2000, I guess when Hennessy got into some money troubles and started scamming people.

Everyone moved on from them.....The owner of the red one now has a Ford GT, Ferrari 360, and a Lambo for example. Back in the day Vipers were like seeing a mustang, down here in South Florida, they were everywhere.

What kind of cars do you think yacht owners have btw??? Toyota tercels? What type of people do you think I work for? I manage yachts for VERY wealthy, exclusive people.... some of them are or were: ceo's of fortune 500 companies, senators, vice presidents of foreign countries, people on the fortune 200 list, etc. I manage and run $500k-$10 million yachts in the yachting capital of the world, not 1960's $100k Chris Crafts in Ohio. I have one owner that has a Ferrari F40,F50, and Enzo as well as numerous classic ones but they're all at his house in Switzerland. Others that have an F40, Ferrari California, Carrera 4 GTS, Lambo's, Bentleys, Shelby cobra, pantera, etc. I've driven more than several of them.....only rode in the F40. Part of my job is driving some of them when they're up North for 6 months.

Only seven paragraphs.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Only seven paragraphs.

It looks like someone needs to either get a hobby or a life, or both!

https://goo.gl/images/m7vhLA

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
There's a Viper with no engine mods posted on Bring A Trailer, if you haven't seen that one already.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post