SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Midlife crisis car
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Midlife crisis car Login/Join 
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
If your budget would stand just a little more I know of 1996 Viper GTS B/W with 13K miles that can be had.
Corvettes and all the others are O.K. but a viper will make you smile every time you drive it.
Let me know.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
If you want a super fun car and also sell it for more than you paid, 10 years from now, buy a 1987-89 or 95-98 Porsche 911. Damn fun cars, and they absolutely will continue to appreciate. If you don't care about re-sale, buy the Vette.

Crossing my fingers that 997s will at least depreciate slowly, since I don't expect it to appreciate in value.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
How about a sleeper for a mid-life crisis car?

This V8 (Camaro SS engine) Miata would fit the bill. Buy a ND Miata ('16 and newer) and give Flyin' Miata $50k.

I've wanted a Corvette since I was a youngster, and a Miata since they came out. Personally, I'm leaning towards the Miata in the next year then a year or two later either having it turbo/super charged or the v8 drop in.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
If you want a super fun car and also sell it for more than you paid, 10 years from now, buy a 1987-89 or 95-98 Porsche 911. Damn fun cars, and they absolutely will continue to appreciate. If you don't care about re-sale, buy the Vette.

Crossing my fingers that 997s will at least depreciate slowly, since I don't expect it to appreciate in value.

Eventually 997s will appreciate, if you bought one over the last year or two. The Real Appreciation will continue to be in air-cooled Porsches. I have owned 356 and 911 models and am currently looking to add a late 90s 993.

Seriously, if you have 20-40K to spend, buy a clean mid-late-80s 3.2L 911 with good provenance--all receipts and ideally 100K or less on the odometer. You will make a ton of money 10-15 years later. Just make sure the car is sound. No rust. Must be inspected by a Porsche Pro. Never buy a re-paint. Never buy a rebuilt engine. They are out there. West coast cars are your best bet.

BTW I can make the same case for late 60s Camaros and Mustangs etc. If you have 20-40K to spend on a mid-life crisis car, spend it where you can make a profit, later in life.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I also went other. Some have mentioned Holden Pontiacs, and I have a G8 GT with suspension package. It's a 4-door sleeper as a 6.0L stock car, and not exotic like a Viper but it is fun to drive. Extremely good handling compared to most other domestics outside of what you already looked at, and I can average 22-23mpg tank to tank with occasional passing and highway fun. Though it was something in '09, it is not fastest by todays standards. Yes they eat suspension parts. In the scheme of things lower control arms at about 50K and a bushing kit is not a lot to keep up this kind of fun. There were very limited #s of 2010 GXP models with stick and the 6.2L. This would be the most collectable. FWIW, they shine at warp speeds.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Just to be different, I am going to throw out a Mustang GT.

New or a couple years old is well within your budget, fun to drive and plenty of stock power with room to grow if you want to start modding.

I am 6 months and 11,000 miles into mine and it is a blast. Best part is still averaging over 20mpg with it.

I’ll be honest, I like the looks of the Camaro a little more, but after the bail out crap and everything GM is dead to me. Current Mustang body style is sharpest Mustang ever if you ask me.

Untitled by Wayne Wilson, on Flickr

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10937 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
don't go Italian

I bought my first Ferrari when I was 50 and I've been hooked ever since...

really, don't go Italian Smile

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
don't go Italian

I bought my first Ferrari when I was 50 and I've been hooked ever since...

really, don't go Italian Smile

YES, go Italian, if you have a Serious bank account. That is the Big League! And yes, that works. Ferraris are the ultimate auto-investment. But, you need to have the cash to join that game. 10-20 years ago, one could buy an investment Ferrari without breaking the bank. Today?? I'd say to wait for the next recession/market-pull-back.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always liked the Viper GTS blue with white stripes. I've driven both cars. The Viper is a handful when you push it and the ass will come around on you in a NY minute....there is no forgiveness or warning before it gets away from you. Also, if you get on it a few times, it gets uncomfortable inside as the heat radiates up from the floorboards from the side exhaust (at least in Florida).

The z06 is very driveable, even daily, comfortable, fast as hell, and predictable. I'd go for a 2007 or newer, basically get as new as you can and ideally a C6.

Porsches will nickle and dime the hell out of you. If you don't drive it 12 miles every 2 weeks the battery goes dead, then you have to hook jumper wires to 2 terminals inside the car just to get the hood open to put a charger on the battery. Then if the battery goes completely dead, you need to get the whole car re-programmed at the tune of $800 because it won't run. I have a customer with a 2016 Carrera 4S and it's always a problem.......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
Get the Viper. They are not mass produced. They are hand built by selected craftsmen. They stand out in any crowd. I have one and owned two. There are no safety electronic nanny's to save you from yourself. Drive within your limitations and you will be fine. Don't and you will get snake but.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Audioholic:
Viper or Daffy?

Daffy was easy to see, took me a minute of concentration to see the Viper.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Porsches will nickle and dime the hell out of you. If you don't drive it 12 miles every 2 weeks the battery goes dead, then you have to hook jumper wires to 2 terminals inside the car just to get the hood open to put a charger on the battery. Then if the battery goes completely dead, you need to get the whole car re-programmed at the tune of $800 because it won't run. I have a customer with a 2016 Carrera 4S and it's always a problem.......

Or...you could put a Battery Tender Plus on it and be GTG

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've had two and my experience was the opposite. Once the car is well sorted it was very affordable and reliable.

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I can’t give you advice on which one to choose, but I so badly would love to have a muscle car if I could afford it. I need to have a truck so that is my main vehicle. I guess I have sowed my “power oats” with powerful sport bikes and now own a cruiser bike.

If I could get a muscle car today, I still really don’t know which one I would get. Good luck and I am sure you will enjoy whatever you get.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Viper GTS gets my vote. Just an all around cool car.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I say get something that really flies.
As with wings...

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
voted other,

would likely go something British if I were to get a mid life car,,,,

says the guy driving a Cooper S as a daily

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I voted other.

Get yourself a restored muscle car. They can easily be found in your price range. They are classics, you can work on them easily if need be, and they really are historic.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Get yourself a restored muscle car. They can easily be found in your price range. They are classics, you can work on them easily if need be, and they really are historic.

Had one... a '73 Dodge Challenger. They can be a money pit. Mine certainly was.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Miata. It's a go kart, and you wouldn't have to drive it nearly as fast as the Viper or Vette to safely enjoy the limits and have a ball at the same time.

I miss mine all the time.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post