SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sous Vide Scallops
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sous Vide Scallops Login/Join 
posted
Five U-10 dayboat scallops:

Did a quick high temp sear after 30 minutes in the Sous Vide circulator @ 128°F. Served with blue cheese and chive mashed potatoes, lemon wedge, tartar sauce, steamed asparagus, and a Belvedere martini:

Very evenly cooked. These were some of the best scallops I have ever had:

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Dang!

Any seasoning on those bad boys before immersion?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Dang!

Any seasoning on those bad boys before immersion?

Before they go in the circulator I brine them in sugar and salt for 20 minutes, rinse them off in an ice water bath (removes moisture and firms them up), then I seal them in the sous vide bag.

Right before I sear them I season them with salt and pepper.

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those look fantastic! Scallops are near and dear to my heart, and almost always overcooked. Yours look perfect!

Also interested in the oil/temp/time details on the sear. Please and thank you!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dang those look perfect. Scallops are tough to do correctly, for me anyhow.

Posts: 3901 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
Those look fantastic! Scallops are near and dear to my heart, and almost always overcooked. Yours look perfect!

Also interested in the bath/sear seasonings, and also oil/temp/time details on the sear. Please and thank you!

So the brine step is just to coat the scallops with a 4:1 mixture of salt to sugar. You will see lots of moisture removed from the scallops as they rest.

I dry them well (paper towels) after they are rinsed in the ice water bath before they go in the sous vide bag.

After they are removed from the circulator, they get dried again right before they are seasoned with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper before the sear.

I've been using Peanut Oil, so I use an infrared thermometer to help me keep the oil temp at around 400°F for the sear. Only takes a minute or so per side to get that nice color.

posted Hide Post
Perfect details, the devil is in the details. Exactly what I wanted, thank you!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
Perfect details, the devil is in the details. Exactly what I wanted, thank you!

My pleasure. I have found that brining them gives them a firmer texture without overcooking them.

I prefer the firmer mouthfeel.

Good luck!

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Looks delicious as always.

Isn't the # after the U the suggested serving size (i.e. U eat 10)? Wink

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23194 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Looks fantastic! Scallops are one of my top two favorite seafoods. Thanks for the cooking details.

Michael

Posts: 1099 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love scallops but never seem to cook them right. Yours look perfect.

Posts: 6864 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I love scallops. Scallops are to seafood what bacon is to pork.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Not to detract from the OP’s dish, which I am preparing for tonight's dinner, but look what I found while rummaging around in Anova’s site for suggestions.

Scallops, bacon spinach on linguini! https://recipes.anovaculinary....th-bacon-and-spinach.

All the food groups in one easy dish!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Looks delicious as always.

Isn't the # after the U the suggested serving size (i.e. U eat 10)? Wink

Big Grin

actually it should be the number per pound (like shrimp)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Never considered doing them in Sous Vide thingamabob. Usually just grill or saute them. Might have to try it your way.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20803 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i love scallops. Nice job

Posts: 1568 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Scallops are at the top of my list. Those look perfectly done.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
After action report.....

The scallops sous vide prepared as described in this thread turned out pretty decent, if not as elegant.

One problem we have often encountered with scallops is over cooking which renders them tough. No problem here!

Thanks for this inspiration and how-to.

posted Hide Post
That looks fantastic. I always enjoy your photos. Thanks.

Posts: 749 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Good to know brothers. Will give this a try. Thanks.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post