SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Major Collision at Sea, Dozens Missing
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Major Collision at Sea, Dozens Missing Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
We endured some wild claims this year about the safety and competence of merchant marine crews. No US Navy ships were involved in this incident, as far as we now know.

quote:
An Iranian tanker collided with a Chinese freighter off China’s eastern coast on Saturday, leaving a crew of 32 people missing after the vessel caught fire and spilled oil into the sea, authorities said.

The crew — 30 Iranians and two Bangladeshis — on the tanker Sanchi was traveling from Iran to South Korea when it crashed into the Hong Kong-registered freighter CF Crystal in East China Sea, 160 miles off the coast of Shanghai, China’s Ministry of Transport said. All 32 people on the Sanchi remain missing as of Sunday, but the 21 crew members of the Crystal — carrying grain brought from the United States — were rescued.

"We have no information on their fate," an official in Iran’s Oil Ministry told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity. "We cannot say all of them have died, because rescue teams are there and providing services."

The Chinese Ministry of Transportation sent at least four rescue ships and three cleaning boats to the collision scene Sunday morning, according to Reuters. The South Korean Coast Guard also assisted with rescue efforts by sending an airplane and ship for the search.

Sanchi, run by Iran’s top oil shipping operator, was carrying nearly 1 million barrels of condensate, a type of ultra-light oil, Chinese authorities said. The tanker went ablaze shortly after the collision, sending plumes of black smoke into the air as oil spilled into the sea. It’s unclear how much oil was leaked and if it was still pooling out of the tanker as of Sunday.

By comparison, the Exxon Valdez was carrying 1.26 million barrels of crude oil when it spilled 260,000 barrels into Prince William Sound off Alaska in 1989.

An official told the AP the tanker was owned by the National Iranian Tanker Co. and had been rented by a South Korean company, Hanwha Total Co.

Saturday’s collision was the first major maritime incident since January 2016, when international sanctions on Iran were lifted, Reuters reported. It was the second one for a ship from the National Iranian Tanker Co. in less than a year and a half.

In August 2016, one of its tankers collided with a Swiss container ship in the Singapore Strait, damaging both ships but causing no injuries or oil spill. No one was killed in the incident.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Was just reading this. Big damn mess, hopefully the crew members have been picked up and just not reported.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11460 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Waiting for Jimmy123 to chime in and explain how this could have possibly happened...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Another odd thing..... a Swiss container ship?

Who knew?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Was just reading this. Big damn mess...
The good news is that it's condensate, and the condensate I've been around in my 20 years in O&G has a lot of light ends so it burns easily and not much heavy ends left after burning. Hopefully, it's out to sea, no storms forecast, and no dumbass bureaucrats prevent lighting it off like they did at Valdez.

BTW, I'm ICS 400 certified and was formerly the operations section head for my employer's emergency response team. Operations section head is responsible for deploying the day's tactics (e.g. burning the spill plume).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23443 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
Waiting for Jimmy123 to chime in and explain how this could have possibly happened...

Jimminy123 Crickets.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44114 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:

Jimminy123 Crickets.

I've been super busy delivering yachts. Accidents still happen in the Merchant Marine, just like they do in commercial flight versus recreational flight. But, the frequency is pretty low, about 70 combined total maritime accidents (ship to ship collision, sinking, fire, grounding of one ship, one ship hitting a wall etc.) per year out of around 20,000 total merchant ships plying the waters 24/7. The STATISTICS are EXTREMELY LOW given the amount of Merchant Marine Ships operating 24/7/365 on a percentage of accidents per number of total ships.

Not enough details to know HOW this happened.

It is a very very sad thing for the crews of both ships. As fire on a ship is THE VERY WORST thing that can happen. And being burned alive, even if you're floating in the water (surrounded by the light oil) is a horrible horrible way to go.

Posts: 21345 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
The good news is that it's condensate, and the condensate I've been around in my 20 years in O&G has a lot of light ends so it burns easily and not much heavy ends left after burning. Hopefully, it's out to sea, no storms forecast, and no dumbass bureaucrats prevent lighting it off like they did at Valdez.

BTW, I'm ICS 400 certified and was formerly the operations section head for my employer's emergency response team. Operations section head is responsible for deploying the day's tactics (e.g. burning the spill plume).
Was wondering if they could just set it on fire and what, if any, downsides that would have. Especially where there might be men in the water.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18040 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:

Was wondering if they could just set it on fire and what, if any, downsides that would have. Especially where there might be men in the water.
Obviously, an incident commander wouldn't set it on fire with men in the water.

Once survivors are rescued, the downsides are:
  • direction of smoke impacts (e.g. asthma sufferers and others with lung issues down wind)
  • risk of setting something on fire you don't intend to (e.g. an island or shoreline).

The upsides:
  • you'll have a lot less short-term oil clean up (i.e. physically removing oil from water, shoreline, etc) and it's faster. Faster is good as it reduces the chance of a storm coming in and breaking containment like Valdez.
  • you'll have a lot less remediation (i.e. long-term clean-up)
  • you'll impact less marine life and birds

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23443 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    It took almost an hour and a half. But then again, he has been super busy delivering yachts.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31001 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by V-Tail:
    quote:
    It took almost an hour and a half. But then again, he has been super busy delivering yachts.

I didn't bother looking at the time stamp, just noticed there were 3 additional posts after the first one asking if I was chiming in.

That being said, yes. I have been around Florida in 50 circles lately. Saturday and Sunday I delivered a brand new 59' Flybridge MY from NE Florida to Fort Lauderdale, then took Monday/Tuesday off, then Wednesday a 68' Searay from Jupiter to lighthouse point on the ditch, then Thursday and Friday a new 90' MY from Key Largo to Marathon and then Marathon to Naples. Plus have a lot of management/maintenance stuff on yachts mixed in, have a full week of that plus have to drive from Ft. Laud to Naples and back to move the 90' MY 1/2 a mile to a different marina. A buddy/customer might fly me there and back on Thursday if the weather is nice so then it's about 20 minutes each way, instead of 5 hours driving round trip for an hours work (although pays a full day and all expenses). Weather has been crappy......cold/windy/rough and tiring.

His Royal Hiney
    Picture of Rey HRH
    posted Hide Post
    I've been on a couple of West Pacs. I can understand mishaps near land and military ships doing evolutions close to each other but them are some big fucking oceans out there and ships got radar and what not.

Was one ship brake checking another?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19818 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rey HRH:
    I've been on a couple of West Pacs. I can understand mishaps near land and military ships doing evolutions close to each other but them are some big fucking oceans out there and ships got radar and what not.

It's a very big ocean but most ships don't use a whole lot of it. There are various routes most freighters will all use to go from one Country to another, for various reasons (current, depth) etc. So it's also almost like the oceans all have highways (trade routes) that all of the freighters are using. So while on one of these routes, it's routine to see a decent amount of traffic.

Picture of JJexp
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rey HRH:

I just assume these things are like 4 way intersections. Every asshole there thinks they have the right of way, and usually they’re wrong.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Happily Retired
    Picture of Bassamatic
    posted Hide Post
    There is a bright side here. It wasn't a US Navy ship. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5092 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    A Grateful American
    Picture of sigmonkey
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44114 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Shorted to Atmosphere
    Picture of Shifferbrains
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by sigmonkey:
    quote:
    quote:

Big Grin Big Grin. Bless his heart

Posts: 5201 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Festina Lente
    Picture of feersum dreadnaught
    posted Hide Post
    as we all know, this is what happens with poorly trained crew and incompetent captains. Probably didn't even have their third mates licenses, bother to simply follow STCW, or check their AIS.

with the incredible experience I'm sure these merchant mariners each had, the explanation for this collision will certainly involve aliens, as any other option is impossible.

Regardless, collisions and fire at sea are thankfully rare, and god help the crew of the tanker.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I believe in the
    principle of
    Due Process
    Picture of JALLEN
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    as we all know, this is what happens with poorly trained crew and incompetent captains. Probably didn't even have their third mates licenses, bother to simply follow STCW, or check their AIS.

with the incredible experience I'm sure these merchant mariners each had, the explanation for this collision will certainly involve aliens, as any other option is impossible.

Regardless, collisions and fire at sea are thankfully rare, and god help the crew of the tanker.

I was thinking maybe it could be fired ex-Navy captains or something. There are several out looking for new careers these days.

Needs a bigger boat
    Picture of CaptainMike
    posted Hide Post
    Iranian, Bangladeshi, and Chinese crews? What could go wrong? Add in the Pakistanis and Liberians and you’d have the 5 worst maritime countries in the world.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post