SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vultures Are Back
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vultures Are Back Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted
Last year I discovered a pair of turkey vultures had made home of an abandoned hunting stand on the property and observed the progression from eggs to chicks then to happen to be around when the young ones took to flight for the first time. Seeing how it was successful I hoped the pair would return this year and they did.

This years eggs.

They're really pretty cool birds and do a service cleaning up carrion. After mating, male and female both raise the young then separate later in the season to go their separate way then south to Winter. Next Spring the same two return to meet and start again.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oops....I thought this was about the News Media.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Yeah, neat birds but their roosting area can get pretty ripe smelling. A house a few blocks away used to have a bunch of them in their trees every year. Homeowner finally cut the trees down. The situation was unbearable.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
That's for sure sometimes there are some ripe entrails laying there! In my case I could care less as it's in a stand out in the woods which I'll never use.

I'll post back when they hatch.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Very cool! And cool that you’d take the time to notice and monitor.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Can't say they are back here. Never left this year.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
A time lapse camera would be so cool on this nest.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

We have hordes of them. They roost up on Yarnell Hill (+1,500 ft in elevation) and catch a thermal or whatever they do to soar. They are overhead all day in our lower area. And yes, they do an excellent job cleaning up carrion and stuff. They are a large part of the desert clean-up crew. Ours leave in November and reappear February-March.

Here they are taking a break in our front yard:

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Sometimes nature is a messy necessity. I think this is one of those moments. Hope the hatchlings make it 'cause there's plenty of road kill to go...

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
No nest? Eggs just laid on wood floor?

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
We live near the Conowingo Dam, Bald Eagles nest every where but we also have the Turkey Vultures. So many of them it's normal to see as many as fifty on the railings of the dam in the morning. They will attack cars parked the visitors area and strip the rubber from the windshields? I guess they like rubber. We shoo them away from our fields when we have smaller lambs out while I don't think they attack the living they might peck at a sleeping lamb and do harm. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Anchor:
We live near the Conowingo Dam, Bald Eagles nest every where but we also have the Turkey Vultures. So many of them it's normal to see as many as fifty on the railings of the dam in the morning. They will attack cars parked the visitors area and strip the rubber from the windshields? I guess they like rubber. We shoo them away from our fields when we have smaller lambs out while I don't think they attack the living they might peck at a sleeping lamb and do harm. Chris

Black vultures are known to prey on live animals such as fawns, lambs, etc. The ones in Henryaz's image appear to be black vultures.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:
No nest? Eggs just laid on wood floor?

Well, to be fair, they did crap all over the floor to provide a cozy surface for their chicks.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Last years chicks.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Watch out-those guys will puke on you if you get too close. And that's a surprisingly efficient defense.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
The ones in Henryaz's image appear to be black vultures.

The ones in my pic are all turkey vultures. Look closely and you'll see the red head on most of them. A couple of the closer ones you cannot tell for sure. Their tippy/teetering flight/soaring is also a tell, but that's hard to discern from my pic. Smile I don't recall seeing any black vultures around here, at least not close enough where I could see the head to be sure.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post