SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Converting HI8 Camcorder to Digital Files
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Converting HI8 Camcorder to Digital Files Login/Join 
It seemed like a good idea...
Picture of lude4life
posted
Looking for advice from anyone that has experience with this. I have a handful of Hi8 tapes I need to get converted of my daughters birth/first few years.

The camera was a Sony Hi8 (non digital). I still have it, but doesnt seem like its a camera that can be used to transfer to computer from what ive read?

Im not opposed to a service either, so if you have recommendations on a good trusted service that isnt terribly expensive that would be great as well.

Kind of lost with all of this and want to save these while I can.

Thanks!

-Jay

"Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware." -Alan Korwin

Posts: 2810 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: November 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
If a “handful” I would take it to a service; I think Costco does it. I digitized about 50 8mm tapes but it didn’t go well, the camcorder gave out after a while. I’m going to take the remainder to a service to have it done.

I would add that it was quite a bit of trouble to set it up for digitizing, although if you have a Sony Digital8 camcorder or player it will digitize a Hi8 tape by playing it and getting direct digital output.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It seemed like a good idea...
Picture of lude4life
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
If a “handful” I would take it to a service; I think Costco does it. I digitized about 50 8mm tapes but it didn’t go well, the camcorder gave out after a while. I’m going to take the remainder to a service to have it done.

I would add that it was quite a bit of trouble to set it up for digitizing, although if you have a Sony Digital8 camcorder or player it will digitize a Hi8 tape by playing it and getting direct digital output.

I had no clue Costco did something like this. Thats great to know. Yeah its under 10 tapes for sure.

Thanks! I will get some info on them.

-Jay

"Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware." -Alan Korwin

Posts: 2810 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: November 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A neighbor took hers to a local Walmart. They send them off to a service. You then pick them and the resultant DVDs up when they get back.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Another option, if you have an iMac available, use a "FireWire" connection from camera to iMac and import using iMovie. I'm currently in #6 of 20 doing this. The tapes are one hour long and, for best transfer, remove the "screensaver" initialization.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
How long are your Hi8 recordings? When I wanted to archive our 90 and 120 minute Hi8 recordings, I used Sony PHDV-124DM Digital Master tapes as an intermediary. This required a pro deck which works with DV, HDV, and DVCAM tapes.

In my case, I was concerned with separation of the magnetic particles from the original tapes. The intermediate copy gave me a copy I felt confident to use while limiting wear and tear on the original.

The pro deck can then be connected via Firewire to iMovie or other programs.

Which model Hi8 camera did you use?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
I had about 10 tapes that I wanted to preserve. I bought a camcorder off fleabay to play them back to a dvd recorder. I then resold the camcorder on fleabay.

It cost me less than $100 total and I didn't risk losing my original videos.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:

It cost me less than $100 total and I didn't risk losing my original videos

Actually you probably did. I’ve had a cheap used camcorder shred a videotape.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
If I were going to send out a tape which was important to me, I would use a company which specializes in conversions. The company in the link below (and there are certainly others) does a lot more than simple transfers. They do color corrections, repair tapes, and convert 8mm and 16 film.

In the grand scheme of things, it might be more expensive to go this way, but I think you are more likely to end up with what you want. You may also find options you had not thought about.

https://shop.cintrexav.com/vid...e-transfers-c18.aspx

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post