SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help Me Find a Small Air Compresor
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help Me Find a Small Air Compresor Login/Join 
posted
I clean my guns at my work bench in the basement.

I like to blow the nooks and crannies out with compressed air. This means a trip to the garage.

So I want a small inflator type compressor that runs off 120 volts, but also can use a blow gun. Most of the inflators have a fixed hose with air chuck. Anyone know of one that can use a blow gun or even a pool toy like inflator? Most of the descriptions lack that detail so if you have a particular one let me know.

Thanks

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How small are you talking about? Pancake size? smaller? Another option is to get a portable air tank you can refill with the compressor and then leave it at your desk. You will need something with a tank to get any volume to blow things out like a gun. Another option is running a hard piped air hose down to the basement.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I don't think an inflator will give sufficient psi to blow away debris, I would look into a high volume airbrush pump or even a "air duster" for computers.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Yes, portable air tank

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
Metrovac.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Yes a portable air tank is a viable choice.

I have one to which I added the quick connect coupling and that lets me use various air nozzle blowers from my regular size compressor.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Harbor Freight

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Am I overthinking it by wondering of a filter/water trap would be a good idea also?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Tank is the answer IMO. I used to take a tank with me when I raced motorcycles. Fill it up to 150PSI and you can fill quite a few dirtbike tires. Need more air, just get a bigger tank. Mine was 10 gallon and it never ran out on me.

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The purpose of the chuck is to allow you to connect and disconnect all kinds of different tools to the air line. You can certainly use a blow gun as one of those tools. Blowing off one firearm shouldn't take a lot of air. A small pancake unit should be fine. The oil-less ones will be somewhat noisy.

Posts: 1499 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Would it be an option to just run an airline from the basement to the garage?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
literally ANY actual air compressor will do the job. I hate the tank answer as the air always ends just as I need it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
About 10 years ago I was putting in new interior doors w/frames at my house. I bought this to make light work out of it. Hardly ever use the tools anymore, but use the compressor quite often, it is noisy, but works well.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Po...-PCFP12234/203471431

Posts: 13677 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for California air tools. I have the bigger model 8010, 1hp 8 gal. in my shop. Less than 200.00 dollars. Talk on the phone 10 ft. away when running.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I bought the California Air tool compressor based on the recommendations here a few months ago.

The following week I got a flyer from Harbor Freight for the identical machine at a much lower price...here it is.

https://www.harborfreight.com/...ompressor-64592.html

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I bought the California Air tool compressor based on the recommendations here a few months ago.

The following week I got a flyer from Harbor Freight for the identical machine at a much lower price...here it is.

The Harbor Freight unit at the link you posted is $129, and is rated at .7 SCFM at 90 PSI.

The California Air unit, linked above, is $109, and is rated at 1.2 CFM at 90 PSI.

I'm not an expert, but I think the California Air unit is a better unit, and actually costs less.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:

The Harbor Freight unit at the link you posted is $129, and is rated at .7 SCFM at 90 PSI.

The California Air unit, linked above, is $109, and is rated at 1.2 CFM at 90 PSI.

I'm not an expert, but I think the California Air unit is a better unit, and actually costs less.

It looks like you’re right. When I bought mine it was considerably more expensive. therefore I officially decree to get the California Air unit..

So let it be written. So let it be done!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Po...YvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Home depot.
You can get the nozzles there as well.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Po...w_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I used a 4in piece of break line (aluminum lines for car breaks) and flatten the end a little. Works great.
Or you can use the needle attachment to fill up basketball/footballs. If the needle has the two holes on either side, cut the tip off.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8335 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
How small are you talking about? Pancake size? smaller? Another option is to get a portable air tank you can refill with the compressor and then leave it at your desk. You will need something with a tank to get any volume to blow things out like a gun. Another option is running a hard piped air hose down to the basement.

I was hoping for the size of one of the 12 vdc units you keep in the car.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post