SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    LEO Retirement Question 2
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LEO Retirement Question 2 Login/Join 
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted
Now for the retired law enforcement officers.

Question:
Now that you're retired, are you glad you did, or are you now thinking you left too soon?

Choices:
I'm glad I retired, I don't miss it at all and am now enjoying life.
I miss it sometimes, but overall am glad I'm out.
I miss it more than I thought I would.
I wish I hadn't left and want to go back.

Posts: 4487 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Voted.

I miss the people (most of them) that I worked with. The job can go fuck itself. I was turned into an unwilling social and mental health worker and relationship counselor. Law Enforcement became a distant third on the radar.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I retired in 2003. When Pennsylvania voted in a Democrat Governor, I saw the hand writing on the wall.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
Now for the retired law enforcement officers.

Left Law Enforcement in 1994. I don't think I could handle it the way things are today. Or, maybe they couldn't handle me.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 251 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
[drift]
This citizen appreciates all that you folks have given, and to those who are still on the job.

Be safe, enjoy life, and live in peace.

That is all.

(no reply's, please. Smile)

[/drift]

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43776 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MoreCowbell
posted Hide Post
I'm retired after 26 yrs sometimes I do miss it but after I talk to my friends who are still on I'm really glad I left.

Posts: 117 | Registered: January 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Found that I missed it, and it was all I really knew how to do.
Went back, to another agency, and like what I do. The job has drastically changed over the years however.

Posts: 269 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I left after 26.5 years, but my goal was 30. Burnout was the major factor why I had left.

I thought about becoming a reserve so I could stay in the game, but I never acted on it. I took classes to maintain my license just in case, but I would have to jump through more TCOLE hoops to get back on now since I’ve been gone so long - it is just not worth it to me now.

I miss it because it was what I did and who I was. What I don’t miss is the move from law enforcement to a social justice emphasis. Just as the military is/was trained to kill people and destroy things, I was trained to equally enforce the laws. Other than my health, this new thinking pushed me out before my plans were complete. I love retirement more now so all of that is behind me now.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ftttu,

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1155 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
Retired August 1 after nearly 28 years. I miss some of the people, but I honestly don't miss being the police. A lot of friends have told me they haven't seen me this relaxed in a long time.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Timely thread. I have been in law enforcement for 26 years. Just turned 50. I have my retirement paperwork filled out. Just having a bit of trouble turning it in...

Posts: 7720 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I miss most of, but not all, of the people that I worked with, but I'm glad I retired.

I retired six years ago, but we still get together occasionally for wings & beer, or to go to the range. They all tell me that if I was still working, I'd be fired within a week. I was never very politically correct & if I had something to say, I was going to say it.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I have 2 years, 2 months left and can't wait to be gone. The senior officer on my squad has less than 4 months left and he can't wait to leave. My best friend was one of those poor bastards in Ferguson, he worked that whole shit show from start (worked night shift following the Darren Wilson/Michael Brown shooting) to last January 2019. He went out for a couple months for PTSD (loss of focus, loss of sleep , anxiety, etc) He is working corporate security now and couldn't be happier.

I am just going to say it isn't like it was......and then you have "progressive" prosecutors who are only interested in releasing criminals and putting cops in jail.

Posts: 3903 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lahilljack
posted Hide Post
Voted I'm glad I retired (2008) and do not miss it. Sure, I miss some of the folks but several have now retired or moved to a non-LE job anyway. The job is not the same as when I started in 1976.

Mike

Posts: 692 | Location: Adams County, Ohio | Registered: June 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
Timely thread. I have been in law enforcement for 26 years. Just turned 50. I have my retirement paperwork filled out. Just having a bit of trouble turning it in...

When you do finally turn the paperwork in you will be missed. No Utah LEOs are fantastic and you are one of them.

Posts: 7511 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He he, you sound like my old partner
(PSP Troop A)

quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:
I miss most of, but not all, of the people that I worked with, but I'm glad I retired.

I retired six years ago, but we still get together occasionally for wings & beer, or to go to the range. They all tell me that if I was still working, I'd be fired within a week. I was never very politically correct & if I had something to say, I was going to say it.

Posts: 269 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I retired the first time at 51, and thought I was done with anything LE related. Couple years later I went to work as a non sworn employee in the same agency's crime lab. Being around LE again, I got the bug to work as an officer again, and perhaps move to a smaller town. I did both, and worked as an officer for another decade or so. When I retired again, from the smaller town PD, I stayed on as a reserve officer for several more years. Then I was really ready to retire,and resigned as a reserve. It was the right time, and retirement has been good. Still miss it sometimes thoughWink

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Retired from two agencies. 42 years total. I miss many of the wonderful people I worked with but not the environment so much-it is a young person's profession. I get my thrills vicariously by watching LivePD

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4357 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ftttu:
I left after 26.5 years, but my goal was 30. My health was the major factor why I had left.

I thought about becoming a reserve so I could stay in the game, but I never acted on it. I took classes to maintain my license just in case, but I would have to jump through more TCOLE hoops to get back on now since I’ve been gone so long - it is just not worth it to me now.

I miss it because it was what I did and who I was. What I don’t miss is the move from law enforcement to a social justice emphasis. Just as the military is/was trained to kill people and destroy things, I was trained to equally enforce the laws. Other than my health, this new thinking pushed me out before my plans were complete. I love retirement more now so all of that is behind me now.

I’m in Texas, too. Got a question for you if you’d be kind enough to e-mail me. Thanks.

Posts: 4487 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most anyone who makes it to retirement in this field probably liked the work, despite disliking the administration. Once one gets a taste for hunting bad people, the desire to do so, does not easily fade. Nor does one forget the connections of the tribe. However, the astute among us will hopefully realize when it is time to move on. I didn't. Luckily my wife happily pointed it out to me. Lots of peripheral work for those who want it.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I miss the action and the guys I worked with. I am an Adrenalin junkie and loved the excitement.The rest of it, not so much.
And I miss the hunt. I liked hunting and catching bad guys, especially burglars and car thieves.
And you can retire, but it never leaves you. Too many vivid memories. I have PTSD (so they say, anyway) but other than certain things causing flashbacks and some dreams, I am fine.
Main retirement problem: I still want to drive like a cop!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15973 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post