SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    DNA results questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DNA results questions Login/Join 
Picture of Uppster
posted
I have an adopted relative from overseas. We know absolutely nothing about her blood relatives and where assured there is no way of tracking her from our side or birth family side. She sent DNA to 23andMe. Is there anyway someone from the birth family could on purpose or accidentally match up her DNA and find her. She was a baby when we got her and I fear (with no justification) she might find her parents and leave.

God,Guns,Cars,& 1Wife, I would say I have it all.

Posts: 1448 | Location: Independence MO | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Ancestry.com will notify you if you use their service and you match others who've used their service. You can decline if you wish, or communicate anonymously with the other parties.

If her birth parents are from a non-Engish speaking nation, I'd say you have little to fear. However, it is not in any way unreasonable for a human being to want to know who they are and from where they came. It would be a highly ungrateful child, though, who would leave those who cared for them, to be with those who abandoned them.

I've a feeling that a lot of people looking for that Dr. Phil reunion end up being severely disappointed when they do met their blood kin. In many (most?) of these cases, it would be better to not seek out parents who abandoned you, for reasons which should be obvious.

I had a friend whose birth father showed up at her door when she was 40 years old. He was a terminally ill alcoholic who had no money and no place else to go. It was a shocking and miserable experience for her, to have him show up only when he needed help, and to have to care for him as he died. It did cure her of curiousity about her roots, though.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Not to be flip or unnecessarily alarmist, but do we truly believe in this day and age that anything that’s recorded on a computer that’s linked to the Internet isn’t susceptible to unauthorized disclosure? Highly personal information in both government personnel databases and large private financial institutions has been compromised in recent years. That is, of course, much different than an individual’s gaining unauthorized access to a secured database to locate a specific record, but what if the entire database is maliciously hacked and made available on the ’net for anyone to view?

I’m no computer security authority, but I do know from reading science journals that many people are reluctant to cooperate with DNA-related research projects for medical or other purposes because of concerns about that exact thing, so it’s not just me.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was a PI, I had several cases of kids searching for parents who had disappeared from their lives. Despite being cautioned that these "reunions" don't often work out, they all wanted to proceed. I cant recall anyone who was happy with the outcome. And they had to pay for the experience!
And a chance of a successful DNA match, under the circumstances you have laid out, seems remote.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I'm on 23&Me. You can keep your identity anonymous by using a user name. Just like this forum.

The system will tell me I am related or have a match with Uppster, but then I have to contact Uppster through 23&Me, and then Uppster can just ignore or not respond, and then I won't know Jack and have to hope some other match will respond, to help me figure out . . . .

It's similar to eBay. Neither buyer nor seller know the other person's real identity, but communicate thru the 3rd party.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
I'm on 23&Me. You can keep your identity anonymous by using a user name. Just like this forum.

The system will tell me I am related or have a match with Uppster, but then I have to contact Uppster through 23&Me, and then Uppster can just ignore or not respond, and then I won't know Jack and have to hope some other match will respond, to help me figure out . . . .

It's similar to eBay. Neither buyer nor seller know the other person's real identity, but communicate thru the 3rd party.

^ this

I do however have no issue letting others identify me on 23 and me, I do however know my relatives, my aunt showed up on it.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Not to be flip or unnecessarily alarmist, but do we truly believe in this day and age that anything that’s recorded on a computer that’s linked to the Internet isn’t susceptible to unauthorized disclosure? Highly personal information in both government personnel databases and large private financial institutions has been compromised in recent years. That is, of course, much different than an individual’s gaining unauthorized access to a secured database to locate a specific record, but what if the entire database is maliciously hacked and made available on the ’net for anyone to view?

I’m no computer security authority, but I do know from reading science journals that many people are reluctant to cooperate with DNA-related research projects for medical or other purposes because of concerns about that exact thing, so it’s not just me.

Fortunately I am the only living witness to those activities of which the statute of limitations have not expired. I do not fear DNA testing.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
^^ That was funny. I was thinking something similar. Still, not going to publicly post my dna in any dna registry.

Posts: 1768 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I have a VERY racist acquaintance that did the 23 and me deal. He's from Sicily and Oh So proud of his Italian heritage.

Well....23 and me showed he was 18% AFRICAN. To say that I have been having fun with that is putting it mildly.

Frankly I'd be afraid to submit to the dna test.
I'd be afraid I was shown to be part Russian not the 100% Polish I've been lead to believe. LOL.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
With Ancestry.com I found out I am related to my cousin. And Lord North.

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
I have a VERY racist acquaintance that did the 23 and me deal. He's from Sicily and Oh So proud of his Italian heritage.

Well....23 and me showed he was 18% AFRICAN. To say that I have been having fun with that is putting it mildly.

Frankly I'd be afraid to submit to the dna test.
I'd be afraid I was shown to be part Russian not the 100% Polish I've been lead to believe. LOL.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/_svnsF5OLbI

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:

Wait a minute - you saying your last name ain't Spizza? Razz

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post